table of contents
- 2. February: The Scottish sailor Alexander Selkirk is saved by the uninhabited isle „Isla Mas A Tierra “. Its fate supplies material for Daniel Defoes novel „Robinson Crusoe “.
- 22. April: With the second large city fire in the Bautzener history the city is destroyed to a large extent.
- 8. July: The Russian Zar Peter the large one defeats Sweden in the battlePoltawa.
- 13. July: Johann Maria Farina creates the today oldest perfume factory of the world in Cologne „opposite Farina”.
- 11. September: In northeast France at the village Malplaquet (today a local part of Taisnières sur hone) defeats the allied army under Prince Eugen and the duke of Marlborough the French army under that field gentlemen Villars in an involving heavy losses battle.
- End of the fork time on the Färöern. A royally Danish commission re-establishes the Staatsmacht on the archipelago.
- CenterMuseum of the naval warfare fleet based in sank Petersburg.
- 26. July: Premiere of the opera Desiderius, king of the Langobarden of pure hard Keiser at the theatre at the goose market born in
Hamburg [work on
- 24. January: François cathedralBédos de Celles, French Benediktiner, organ farmer and author of the work: L'Art you facteur d'orgues (the art of the Orgelbauers) († 1779)
- 24. February: Jacques de Vaucanson, French engineer, inventor and flight pioneer († 1782)
- 3. March: Andreas Sigismund Marggraf, German chemist
- 10. March: George William Steller, German natural scientist
- 3. July: Wilhelmine of Bayreuth, Prussian king daughter († 1758)
- 11. July: Johan Gottschalk Wallerius, chemist and Mineraloge († 1785)
- 18. September: Samuel Johnson, English scholar, writer, poet, critic and Lexikograph († 1784)
- 18. December: Elizabeth (Russia), Russian Zarin († 1761)
- 25. December: Julien Offray de La Mettrie, French physician and philosopher(† 1751)
- 20. January: François d'Aix Lachaise, Jesuit (* 1624)
- 8. February: Giuseppe Torelli, Italian Violinist and composer (* 1658)
- 2. April: Giovanni Battista Baciccio, Italian painter(* 1639)
- 31. August: Andrea Pozzo, Italian painter (* 1642)
- 1. December: Abraham A Sancta Clara, catholic clergyman and writer (* 1644)
- 7. December: Meindert Hobbema, Netherlands painter (* 1638)
- 8. December: Thomas Corneille, dramatic poet and is the brother of Pierre Corneille (* 1625)
- 26. December: Johann Philipp Bendeler, German organist and organ theoretician (* 1654)