all centuries | other time scales
20. Century | << 21. Century >> | 22. Century
Table of contents
- at the 11. Septembers 2001 are destroyed by terrorist attacks both towers of the World trade center in New York town center and the Pentagon in Washington, D.C.heavilydamaged. As reaction to it the USA proclaim a world-wide war against the terrorism and demand an international alliance against the terrorism. Terms and cliches like “old Europe”, “the axle of the bad one”, “who for us is, is not against us " and “preventive strikes” George W. become key words of the policy of the US president Bush. In many western countries sharper safety regulations than protection against terrorism will issue. Data-security commissioners and civil rights activists express their concern over it.
- The Taliban, of thatThe USA once supported Glaubenskrieger in Afghanistan, become the first goal of the United States. In a blitzkrieg the country is taken and the new president Hamid Karsai start its office. Normality is not so far in-turned in Afghanistan.
- Accompanied ofworld-wide protests in most different countries begins to 20. March 2003 the Iraq war and Saddam Hussein is imprisoned taken. Tensions within Europe by the participation of some member states at this war. Also the new, democratic Iraq is not long befriedet.
- To 11. March 2004 by terrorist attacks in of Spain capital Madrid (Madrider of course notices) 191 humans are killed and hurt more than 1500. Attack targets of the Islamic terrorists, who hid 10 bombs in traveling bags, were 4 courses in the suburbs of Madrid.With a later police employment blow up themselves 7 suspects in their apartment into air. The Spanish government at that time under José María Aznar makes hastily the ETA responsible.
- Extension of the European Union around 10 new members in the year 2004
- to 7. July 2005 are shaken the city center of London by 4 notices. 3 of the explosive devices was ignited in the underground and one in a double stick bus of the capital of Great Britain.
research and technology
- to 21. June 2004 reaches the test pilot Michael Melvill as first humans with a privately financed spacecraft, with the name “SpaceShipOne “, space.
- The consequences of an earthquake in the Indian ocean to 26. Decembers 2004 do not outlive than 300,000 humans in south Asia after current numbers more. Most of them by by quake the released Tsunami are killed. Further ones died at their injuriesand the outbreak of epidemics. Among the victims were also a great many tourists of western nations. The Indonesian province Aceh is most badly concerned.
- In consequence of the hurricane Katrina 2005 large parts of the city become new Orleans and in Septemberthe gulf coast of the USA floods. Remedial measures started only with some days delay. The complete city new Orleans was evacuated; the damage becomes estimated on over 125 billion dollar. About 1000 humans died.