Adolph of Menzel
Already to itsLifetimes was initiated it a famous historical painter, its patriotic work, by the expansion of Prussia in 19. Century, the taste of the public met. In 20. Century it became particularly for its careful treatment of the light and the original compositions of itssmall category pictures respected.
table of contents
Menzel became to 8. December 1815 in Breslau born. Already 1828, as Menzelstraight 13 years old one of its works arrived at the exhibition: A picture of a sucking Tigerin. 1834 it was member in the “association of the younger artists. 1850 one accepted it to the artist community tunnel over the Spree , to also Theodor Fontane, Theodor Storm and Paul Heyse belonged. Member of the royal academy of the arts it became 1850, three years after appointed one it the professor of the academy. However the autodidact Menzel quite regarded the universitären everyday life with his mark classescritically. During a journey to the area of the Prussian-Austrian war 1866 Menzel drew hurt and pleased soldiers. 1870 received le Merite to Adolph Menzel the medal Pour. Different exhibitions of Menzels works in Berlin , Paris , Venice follow, Hamburg and Munich. In honours its 70. Birthday takes place 1885 an exhibition in Paris, which shows its international reputation. 1898 were appointed Menzel knight of the high medal by the black eagle and thus into the hereditary aristocracyraised. To 9. February 1905 died Menzel in Berlin.
Menzel was physically measure-arranged (dwarf stature), why it was freed from the military service. Fontane called it affectionately a completely grandiosen small Knopp.
Menzel was a free light painter, creator of intimate interior pictures, painters of large representations of historical events and state artiststhe German empire. From it a famous series of scenes originates from the life Friedrichs II. in 18. Century. Menzel painted in the time of realism, in which he always struggled for acknowledgment. Despite his numerous honours remainedit nevertheless always distrustfully and locked. He is a classical representative citizens of Berlin of realism. In his pictures to a replica of the details one paid attention. Its works were casual labours; it called it „memories “. It did not visit like many German artistsRome, but it pulled it again and again to Paris. Menzel exerted also influence on following artists, to about max dear man. Particularly in the middle creative period show its pictures impressionistische tendencies. Remarkably in this connection also that Menzel by itstopic tables variety (coronation/culmination picture, iron rolling mill) one took in again and again by different sides ideologically.
- organization of the Bene Merenti, 1835
- about 400 designs to Franz Kuglers „historyFriedrichs of the large one “, which were multiplied in wood pass technology, 1839-1842
- 200 illustrations to the works Friedrichs of the large one, 1843-1849
- the balcony room, 1845
- lecture in the monastic church, 1847 (gallery new masters Dresden)
- Aufbahrung of the March-pleased, 1848
- the ruins of theNymphenbades, 1850 (Hamburg arts center)
- board round Friedrich II. in Sanssouci, 1850
- Christ as a child in the temple among the teachers, 1851
- the flute concert Friedrich of the large one in Sanssouci, 1852
- “place for the large Raffael, 1855-1859 (Germanic national museumNuremberg)
- Crown Prince Friedrich visits the French painter Antoine Pesne on the mark stand in lock Rhine mountain, 1861
- one afternoon in the Tuileriengarten, 1867 (national Gallery London)
- Paris weekday, 1869
- departure of king of William I. to the army to 31. July 1870, 1870
- the iron rolling mill, 1875 (old person national gallery Berlin)
- the picture are 2.5 meters wide in the original and were one of the first industrial pictures of the time at that time. The production of the painting became from Menzel over one hundred sketches in the schlesischen king hutdrawn. It documents thereby descriptive and impressively the tendency and the hard conditions of work for the workers in the industrialization beginning of Europe.
- Ball more souper, 1878
- Prozession into Hofgastein, 1880
- Piazza d'Erbe in Verona, 1884 (gallery new masters Dresden)
Web on the left of
|Commons: Adolph of Menzel - pictures, videos and/or audio files|
| | * Literature of and over Adolph of Menzel in the catalog of the DDB
- detailed biography on the sides of the German historical museum Berlin
|NAME||Menzel, Adolph of|
|ALTERNATIVE NAME||Menzel, Adolph Friedrich earthling of [complete name]|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||of German painters, draughtsmen and Illustrator|
|DATE OF BIRTH||8. December 1815|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Breslau|
|DYING DATE||9. February 1905|