Rabbi Akiba, which supported the riot, regarded bar Kochba as the long-waited Jewish Messiah. Therefore he prophesied that thatRebellion would be successful. With the victory of the Romans it became however clear that Akiba had erred.
Despite the initial successes the rebellion on instruction of the Roman emperor Hadrian was brutally struck down by his field gentleman Julius Severus. Bar Kochba became at the fortress of Betar,its last retreat place southwest from Jerusalem, killed. Many its trailer were brutally executed, among them also rabbi Akiba.
In the review also the most convinced trailers had to take distance from bar Kochba to see it as Messiah. Because in Jewish welfare expectation working should the Messiah into a time of the world peace flow (Micha 4.3), and all Jews became God of laws respect (Ezechiel 37.24).
With death bar Kochbas was finally terminated the rebellion. Jerusalem was destroyed, forbidden completely Jews it living there. On the ruinsJerusalems was created the new Roman city Aelia Capitolina. In the place of the destroyed temple a Jupiter developed - for temple. According to Cassius Dio became the Jupiter temple already before in the place 70 of the n. Chr. destroyed temple establishes, and this Sakrileg is then the trip forthe war been its (source:).
Many the survivor Jew fled into other parts of the Imperiums. A majority of the Jews had lived already before outside of the Jewish heartland, but with this driving out began to in 20. Century continuing phase, in that almostall Jews in the Diaspora lived.
The Roman province Judäa was renamed in Syria Palestine.
- M. Avi Yonah et al., Israel exploration journal 7, 1957, 1-160 (excavation report Masada)
- W. Hit a corner, The bar Kokhba Revolt: The novel POINT OF View, in: JournalOF novel Studies 89, 1999, 76-89
- Peter Schäfer: The bar Kokhba rebellion. Studies to the second Jewish war against Rome. Mohr, Tübingen 1981. ISBN 3-16-144122-2
- Peter Schäfer (Hrsg.): The bar Kokhba was reconsidered. New perspectives on the Second Jewish Revolt against Rome. Mohr filter-hit a corner, Tübingen2003.ISBN 3-16-148076-7
- Y. Yadin, Masada, London 1966, (German: Hamburg 1967)
- Y. Yadin, Israel exploration journal 15, 1965 (excavation report Masada)