|of these articles presents the Catalan city Barcelona. For further meanings see Barcelona (term clarifying).|
|region:||Autonomous region Katalonien|
|surface:||100.4 km ²|
|inhabitants:||1.578.546 (conditions 2005)|
|population density:||15,867 inhabitants for each km ²|
|height:||12 m and. NN|
|geographical situation:|| |
Coordinates: 41° 24 ' N, 2° 10 ' O 41° 24 ' N, 2° 10 ' O
|city arrangement:||10 urban districts (map)|
|official Website:||of www.bcn.es|
Barcelona (kat. [bərsəˈlonə]; splinter [barθeˈlona]) the capital of the autonomous community is Katalonien in Spain. It is because of the Mediterranean, 160km south the Pyreneeses and the border to France. Barcelona is also over 1,6 millions Inhabitants the second largest city of Spain and the largest Kataloniens. In their catchment area live approximately 3 millions Humans.
Table of contents
After the legend Barcino of Hamilkar Barkas, the father of Hannibal from Karthago, was created. Later the Romans the city removal to a fortress (castrum). The center of the city was to one because of the Mons Taber,small hill in the proximity of the today's city hall (Plaça de Sant Jaume). This very day one can discover the remnants of the Roman Stadtmauern in the old part of town. Important Roman pieces of find are issued under the Plaça del Rei. In 5. Centurythe city was conquered by the Goten, in 8. of the Mauren. 801 them became by Ludwig I. back-conquered. 985 Barcelona von Almansor , that became realm Weser of the Kalifen of Córdoba, which lies in the today's Andalusien, in possessiontaken. It left however the city a little later again.
culture and objects of interest
the city centre
the center of the city forms the Plaça de Catalunya as traffic junction, from here can to foot the Roman ruins, the medieval city and the modern plan city Eixample be attained,for their square house block with the tapered corners (Ka:Xamfrans; FR:Chaflanes) and the many Modernisme - buildings admits is. The older city is hauptsächtlich flat. The newer quarters however lie at the top of Barcelona, to the hills, so that some roads remind there of San Francisco.
In the Barri Gòtic, the gothical quarter and historical town centre, stand today still numerous beautiful architectural certifications of the medieval king and commercial town such as La Catedral, the cathedral of the holyEulàlia, the king place (Plaça del Rei), the Frederic Marés museum and the city hall (Ajuntament).
A particularly interesting road is La Rambla (or splinter Read RAM-blow, kat. Les Rambles), a broad avenue, thosefrom the center to the port leads. It is full humans until late into the night, and there are there numerous flower and bird salesmen, news stands, road musi edges, acrobats, cafes and restaurants. Worth seeing to RAM-blow are the multicolored and lively market Mercatde la Boqueria, the place Plaça Reial with its arcades and palms as well as the typical restaurants, and the world-famous opera house El Liceu. At the port-turned away end RAM-blow is the fountain Font de Canaletes, to who one after-says,that everyone, which drank once from it, its heart at Barcelona loses and its life long always comes back.
At the end of the promenade, at the old port, the statue of Christoph Kolumbus stands. There are also the medieval dockyards, those Drassanes, which accommodate today the navigation museum Museu Marítim. It tells the history of the navigation in the Mediterranean area and even issues a 1:1 - model of a Galeere.
The old port accommodates the modern leisure center Maremagnum, that together with numerous discotheques, fashion shops, cinemas(among other things a IMAX cinema) also the largest the Mediterranean dedicated aquarium contains.
Barcelona and the modernism
end 19. Century developed in Barcelona its own form of art nouveau, which is called Modernisme. Their most prominent representative is Antoni Gaudí,in Barcelona lived and worked. Some famous buildings are to be visited by it. In addition the Casa Milà (La Pedrera ) ranks, the Palau Güell and the park Güell , since 1984 among the world cultural heritage that under others UNESCO count. Worth seeing under Gaudís buildings are also the Casa Batlló and the still unfinished church Sagrada Família, at which since 1882 one builds. Since 1997 Barcelona with two buildings of Lluís Domènech i Montaner, the hospital hasde Sant Pau and the Palau de la Música Catalana, world inheritance new generation get.
Further objects of interest
further objects of interest are above all the Font Màgica, an impressing jumping well of large extent with color and music under painting, the Museu Joan Miró, the Museu Picasso with numerous, less admitted to works of Pablo Picasso, and the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, who contains important Roman Wandmalereien and other medieval works of art, or also the Collserola tower, the Torre Telefónica as well as that Torre Agbar.
An architectural masterpiece of world rank represents the German pavilion to the world exhibition 1929. A reconstruction of the building of Ludwig bad van the raw one is at the foot of the Montjuic, below the Poble Espanyol, small Spain,that likewise part of the world exhibition area at that time was. The architect smelling pool of broadcasting corporations Meier sketched anyhow architecturally the Museu extraordinarily worth seeing d'Art to Contemporani de Barcelona (MACBA, 1992-1995) in the old part of town.
La Ciutadella: in order to be able to keep the rebellious Katalanen better in chess,Philipp V. left. here establish 1716 a citadel. 1868 had to yield a majority of the plant a park, in which 1888 the world exhibition took place. The zoo-logical garden (park Zoológic) takes the largest part up of the Ciutadella park.
beach of Barcelona
La Rambla at night
Casa Batlló - Gaudi
Mercatde la Boqueria
Palau de la Música Catalana - entrance
- 1888: World exhibition
- 1929: World exhibition, together with Sevilla
- 1992: Olympic plays in Barcelona
- 2004: From May to Septembersthe international forum of the cultures.
economics and infrastructure
Barcelona is an important junction of the RENFE, the Spanish state railways. The most important station for Vorortzüge is Sants Estació. Those AVE - High-speed distance was extended recently of Madrid until Lleida in west Katalonien and is to reach in the year 2006 Barcelona. A further high-speed distance is to manufacture the connection at the French TGV - net to 2010. RENFE and the private railway company Ferrocarrils de laGenerals de Catalunya (FGC) operate a widely distributed rapid-transit railway - net.
The transporting enterprises of Barcelona, transport of metropolitan de Barcelona (TMB), is the Betreiberin of a close network of undergrounds and penalties. Barcelona possesses also two different, connected streetcar nets, mentioned Trambaix and Trambesòs.
the motorway net approximately around Barcelonais extraordinarily close and not duty requiring. In the city with the own vehicle to the goal to come is easier in principle in Barcelona than elsewhere - the city turns out because of the chessboard structure and because the Tibidabo is to be seen good everywhereas pleasantly clear. Barcelona has however substantial problems with the density of traffic, i.e. Back-up are in the city center rather the rule as an exception. The prevailing style of driving is somewhat sporty and impatient, but nevertheless fair and considerationful. A considerable part of theStassennetzes is put on as system by one-way streets, with alternating opposite direction, thus navigation systems are usually useless in these roads.
If one liked with that live-mobilely journeys, one should use the Park+Ride offer of the city and outside of the city centerpark.
In the city center the park areas are very limited and the many underground parkings are useful only for passenger car.
With 5 to 8 EUR per hour they are besides quite expensively. The police proceeds strictly against Falschparker.
after Palma de Mallorca operates usually at night the shipping company Trasmediterránea of the Estació Marítima from an at least daily driving connection.
Segler and yacht owners are rejected in the port, the Marina are instead “one further” in the olympia port.
Barcelona hasfour universities:
- University of de Barcelona (gegr. 1450)
- University of Autònoma de Barcelona (gegr. 1968)
- University of Politècnica de Catalunya (gegr. 1971)
- University of Pompeu Fabra (gegr. 1990)
in addition still various private universities come.
infrastructure for tourists and emigrant
the nearestPossibility of enjoying beach and sea and somewhat more calmly of sleeping at night, offer the bathing resorts southwest to the city, beyond the airport. There first mainly camping sites come, while hotels are to be found main in Castelldefels. The city is from there outto reach fast and well.
For parents of small children, who vocationally get a chance in or with Barcelona required, is it of importance that Barcelona does not accommodate few German emigrants since long time and therefore also over a German school(with the German “general university-level graduation”) orders. For emigrants is it also of importance that the rents are comparatively more inexpensive in Barcelona comparatively expensively and the property/real estate prices of except place.
For one foreign term in Barcelona, e.g. at the University of Politécnica de Catalunya or the University of Autonoma de Barcelona (in Cerdanyola del Vallès), are knowledge of the Catalan language of advantage, since the training meetings are often held Catalan. However also lectures on Spanish are offered as well as isolated on English.
Sons and daughters of the city
- Juan Aguilera, Spanish tennis player
- Alfons II. (Aragón), king of Aragón
- Victoria de Los Angeles, Spanish Sopranistin
- José Ardévol, Cuban composer of Spanish origin
- Miguel Asia Arbo, Spanish composer and professor
- Sergi Bruguera, former tennis professional
- Daniel Brühl, German actor
- Montserrat Caballé, Spanish singer (Sopran).
- José Carreras, Spanish tenor
- Gaspar Cassadó, Cellist
- Antoni Clavé, Spanish painter and sculptor
- Isabel Coixet, Spanish film rain eating urine
- Estanislao Figueras,Spanish attorney and politician
- Montserrat Figueras, Sopranistin
- Sete Gibernau, Spanish Motorrad-Rennfahrer
- Paco Godia, Spanish running driver
- Josep Guardiola i Sala, Catalan football player
- Carmen Laforet, Spanish authoress
- Felix Mantilla, Spanish tennis player
- Pasqual Maragall, head of the government Katalonienssince 2003, mayor Barcelonas from 1982 to 1997
- Javier Marchán, artist
- Juan Marsé, Spanish writer
- Artur Mas, opposition leader in the Catalan parliament since 2004
- Matéo Maximoff, writer
- Eduardo Mendoza, Spanish writer
- Ramón noticing vein, Spanish communistand assassins on Leo Trotzki
- Joan Miró, Spanish painter
- Maria Dolors Miró, Spanish Kunstförderin and honorary chairman of the Miró donations
- Willy Moese, caricaturist and Comiczeichner
- Joseph Oriol, priest and holy of the Roman-catholic church
- Francisco pi i Margall,President of the first Spanish Republic of
- Albert Sánchez Pinol (* 1965), Spanish Anthropologe and writer
- Enrique Pla y Deniel, archbishop of Toledo and cardinal of the Roman-catholic church
- Daniel Plaza, Spanish athlete and olympia winner
- Jordi Pujol, head of the government Kataloniens of1982 to 2003
- Mercè Rodoreda, Catalan authoress
- Joaquim Rodriguez, Spanish wheel running driver
- of Carlo Ruiz Zafón, writer
- Santiago Rusiñol, Spanish artist. Painter and writer
- Juan Antonio Samaranch, 7. President of the IOC
- Arantxa Sánchez Vicario, Spanish professional Tennisspielerin
- JoanManuel Serrat, Catalan singer-songwriter
- Alex Soler Roig, Formel-1-Rennfahrer
- Fernando Sor, Spanish guitarist and composer
- Antoni Tàpies, Spanish artist.
- Francisco Valls, Spanish composer and Kapellmeister
- Manuel Vázquez Montalbán, Spanish crime film writer and journalist
- Ricardo Zamora, more SpanishFootball player
of twin cities
- Gaza city (Palestinian autonomy areas)
- Montpellier (Herault, France) since 1963
- Cologne (Germany), since 1984
- Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
- São Paulo (Brazil)
- Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegowina)
- Tel Aviv (Israel)
- bad clay/tone (the USA)
- hiCat Research of territories, ACTAR Pub., Barcelona 2004, ISBN 84-95951-40-1
- Barcelona 1979|2004. del desenvolupament A la ciutat de quality. Ajuntament de Barcelona, 1999, ISBN 84-7609-926-6
- Joan Busquets: Barcelona. La construcción urbanística de una ciudad compacta. Edicionesdel Serbal, Barcelona 2004, ISBN 84-7628-458-6
Web on the left of
|Wiktionary: Barcelona - word origin, synonyms and translations|
|Commons: Barcelona - pictures, videos and/or audio files|