the term district (v. mittelhochdt.: zirc out lat.: circulus circle) marks…
- a defined area, a region, a region.
... in large cities:
- Administrative units below the government of the entire town, those the localAffairs regulate, the urban districts, z. B. the citizens of Berlin, Hamburg ones, Viennese, Parisians or Londoner of districts. Such urban districts have directly selected parliament and their own „mayor “(the designations and authority are different depending upon city).
- So mentionedUrban districts can be however also small-scale statistic areas within cities, which do not have to do anything with the aforementioned Selbstverwaltungsernheit urban district, an example for this are the urban districts of Frankfurt/Main. The partitionings in the city with (very more modestly) autonomy is calledthere instead of its local district.
... as regional, national administrative units:
- in Switzerland a regional administrative body as subdivision of the cantons, also to office district or district mentioned, see districts of Switzerland.
- in Germany the term for the following becomes (in their spatialExpansion however comparable) regional management levels uses:
- and the governmental districts, at whose point a head of the provincial government stands, taken over created in the Prussian administrative reform 1815, by other countries, as well as
- the 14 districts of the GDR, highest committee the advice was later of theDistrict.
- In Bavaria there are in addition apart from (national) the governmental districts as local bodies so-called districts, which are congruent with the governmental districts of the same name however. They have a directly selected district day.
- In some Lands of the Federal Republic occasionally also the districts become when designates administrative districts, this finds however no broad use.
- in Austria the districts administrative units with the respective district capital between Land of the Federal Republic and municipality, are similar to the German districts see districts in Austria. Their top official is a district captain.
- in Austriain addition gives court districts as the responsible range of a district court.
- In Tschechien it gave to 2002 administrative units, which were comparable to the German districts, but in German translation as in Austria as district , the Okresy was usually designated. The management levelover it, a German governmental district comparably, again circle ( Kraj) is called.
- In the People's Republic China is the district a regional administrative body within a province.
- In English-language countries, approximately in Great Britain, districts are called district, what in German often withoutTranslation is left (district), or Borough, which is used again also for the urban districts of large cities, for instance London Boroughs.
|Wiktionary: District - word origin, synonyms and translations|
|this side is a term clarifying for the distinction of several terms named the same word.|