Billy of savage
Billy of savages (* 22. June 1906 in Sucha Beskidzka, Galizien, Austria Hungary, today Poland; † 27. March 2002 in Beverly Hills/Los Angeles; actually Samuel of savages) was an US-American film script author, director and Producer of Austrian origin. Its work covers in more than 50 years over 60 films.
Table of contents
Billy of savages began its career as a journalist in Vienna. Afterwards it worked as a film script author in Berlin, where it also its first filmslike the classical author humans on Sunday (among other things with Curt Siodmak, Robert Siodmak, Fred tin man and Edgar G. Ulmer) turned. All involved ones in this cinematic time document from Berlin were at that time still film amateurs. Together with Erich Kästner it wrote 1931 the film script for the Erstverfilmung by Emil and the detectives.
in Berlin beautiful mountain reminds a Gedenktafel at the house Viktoria Luise place 11 of it. To this Gedenktafel is in Hellmuth Karaseks savage Hommage close-up (Hamburg [Hoffmann and Campe] 1992, S. 14) the following anecdote: „Once  we came also, it were in the evening, at the houseat the Viktoria Luise place 11 past. Savage showed upward: „Third stick. Family York Schulz. One and a half years. A tiny room with dark wallpaper. Wall at wall with a constantly rushing toilet. “Savage told me, like he one evening before together with his friend,the film producer Willy Egger, discovered a marble board at evenly this house. It showed it me: „There! “- „and one has me asked for permission “, he, half flattered, half frightened to Egger did not even say. Egger and it steppedmore near. On the board stood [text see fig.]. Egger tried it to trösten. But savage said only: „With I would have them in order saying the truth, given permission. “Savage lived here 1927 to the subtenancy in a tiny room, herealso its film career began „as an at night a Mr. Galitzenstein, director the max in film, in pants in Wilders room stood, because it had to take flight from the bedroom of the neighbour. And therefore differently could not at all, than Billy Wilders firstFilm script to buy “(newspaper „the daily mirror “of 2. June 1994).
It was used in the Second World War as film correspondents.
Its guidance saying read: „Bore you not and bore others not. “
- 1 year of the first public performance
- 2 participation Wilders: P roduktion, R egie, B uch, D acre plate
|Year 1||Beteilg.2||German title (original title) - if necessary. Actor|
|1930||B||humans on Sunday [silent movie]|
|1931||B||Emil and the detectives|
|1932||B||Happy Ever after|
|1932||B||a blond dream|
|1938||B||of blue beard respected Mrs. (Bluebeard's Eighth Wife)|
|1938||B||That Certain Age|
|1939||B||exposure around midnight (Midnight)|
|1940||B||Rhythm on theRiver|
|1940||B||Arise, My Love|
|1941||B||awaking in the dawn (Hold bake the Dawn)|
|1941||B||eddy wind of the love (ball OF Fire)|
|1942||R/B||the major and the girl (The major and the Minor) - with Ginger Rogers, Ray Milland|
|1943||R/B||of five graves to Cairo (Five Graves ton Cairo) - with Erich von Stroheim, Peter van Eyck|
|1944||R/B||woman without conscience (double Indemnity) - with Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck|
|1945||R/B||the lostWeekend (The draws to Weekend) - with Ray Milland, Jane Wyman|
starting from 1946
- 1946 OSCAR for the best director into the lost weekend (1945)
- 1946 OSCAR for the best film script into the lost weekend (1945)
together alsoCharles Brackett
- 1951 OSCAR for the best collecting main, best history and the best film script in boulevard of the dawn (1950),
together with Charles Brackett, D.M. Marshman Jr.
- 1961 OSCAR for the best director into the apartment (1960)
- 1961 OSCAR forthe best film the apartment (1960)
- 1961 OSCAR for the best collecting main, best history, the best film script into the apartment (1960),
together with I.A.L. Dia. moon
- 1946 golden Globe for the best director into the lost weekend (1945)
- 1951 golden Globe for the best director in boulevard of the dawn (1950)
together with Charles Brackett and D.M. Marshman Jr.
together with Samuel L. Taylor and Ernest Lehman
together also I.A.L. Dia. moon
common with I.A.L. Dia. moon
common with I.A.L. Dia. moon
together with Hal W. Polaire (direction Assistenz)
- 1963 golden Laurel for the point producer/director
PGA golden Laurel Awards
Blue Ribbon Awards
Fotogramas de Plata
together with “Atlantic town center (1980)
Italian national Syndicate OF film of journalist
- (year unbek.) star on mill OF Fame: 1751 Vine Street
- Neil Sinyard, Adrian Turner: Billy Wilders of films. Berlin: Scientific publishing house Spiess, 1980. ISBN 3-89166327-7
- Claudius Seidl: Billy of savages. Its films - its life. Munich: Heyne, 1988. ISBN 3-453-00657-7
- Hellmuth Karasek: Billy of savages. A close-up. Munich: Heyne, 1994. ISBN 3-453-07201-4 [first 1992]
- Andreas Hutter, Klaus Kamolz: Billie of savages.A European career. Böhlau, Vienna, Cologne, Weimar, 1998. ISBN 3-205-98868-X
- Cameron Crowe: It made, Mr for fun. Savage? Publishing house Diana, 2000. ISBN 3-82845031-8
- Glenn Hopp: Billy of savages. All films. Cologne: Bags, 2003. ISBN 3-82281685-X
- Glenn Hopp: Billy of savages.Films with ESPRIT 1906-2002. Cologne: Bags, 2003.
- Michael Hanisch: Billy of savages. From Galizien to Beverly Hills. Berlin: Hentrich and Hentrich, 2004. ISBN 3-93347172-9.
- Daniel Hermsdorf: Billy of savages. Films - motives - controversial. Bochum: Paragon publishing house, 2006. ISBN 3-932872-16-9.
Web on the left of
|Wikiquote: Billy of savages - quotations|
| | * Literature of and over Billy of savages in the catalog of the DDB
|NAME||of savage, Billy|
|ALTERNATIVE NAME||Savage, Samuel|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||film script author, director and producer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||22. June 1906|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Sucha, Galizien, at that time Austria Hungary, today Poland|
|DYING DATE||27. March 2002|
|DYING PLACE||Beverly Hills/Los Angeles|