|coat of arms||map|
|Land of the Federal Republic:||North Rhine-Westphalia|
|landscape federation:||Westphalia lip|
|regional association Ruhr|
|surface:||145.4 km ²|
|inhabitants:||377.996 (28. February. 2005)|
|Population density:||2,600 Einwohner/km ²|
|height:||105 m and. NN|
|postal zip codes:||44701-44894 (old: 4630)|
|Preselections:||0234 + 02327|
Coordinates: 51° 29 ' N, 7° 13 ' O 51° 29 ' N, 7° 13 ' O
|municipality key:||05 9 11 000|
|city arrangement:||6 Urban districts|
of the city administration:
| Willy Brandt place 2-8|
|Oberbürgermeisterin:||Ottilie Scholz (SPD)|
|debts:||845 millions € (31. Dec. 2004)|
|unemployment ratio:||15.6% (28. February 2006)|
|Foreigner portion:||8.8% (28. February2006)|
The circle-free city in the governmental district Arnsberg is onethe four upper centers of the Ruhr district and the sixth-largest city of the country is and under the 20 largest cities of the Federal Republic of Germany with approximately 396,000 inhabitants. Bochum is member in the landscape federation Westphalia lip and in the regional association Ruhr. The number of inhabitants thatCity exceeded 1905 the 100.000-Grenze and made Bochum the large city.
In Bochum six universities, under it the Ruhr University , are also over 30.000 studying one of the largest universities of Germany. Supraregional admits is the German mining industry museum, the Schauspielhaus, the Planetarium, the German railway museum and the most successful musical of the world, Starlight express.
After the fall of the mining industry Bochum developed to a service metropolis. Furthermore there are here different institutions for mining industry. The Bochumer association wrote starting from 1842 industrial history, when it succeeded to the enterprise to pour steel in forms. The first product of the company were bells from this material. 15,000 kg a heavy bell before the Bochumer city hall reminds of this epoch.
table of contents
[work on] “between the rivers Ruhr and Em at the border between southern and northern Ruhr coal zone on the flathilly „Bochumer. The highestPoint in the city lies in the Kemnader road and measures 196 m and.NN, the lowest point is because of the Blumenkamp in Hordel and measures 43 m and. NN. The largest expansion of the city amounts to in north south direction 13.0 km andin west east direction 17.1 km. The length of the city boundary amounts to 67.2 km.
the following cities border on the city Bochum (beginning in the north in the clockwise direction):
Herne (circle-free city), Castrop Rauxel (circle Recklinghausen), Dortmund (Circle-free city), jokes and Hattingen (both Ennepe Ruhr circle) as well as meals and gel churches (both circle-free cities)
the city Bochum consists of 6 urban districts. In each urban district there is a district agency. Chairman of the district agencyis the district chief. The urban districts are partitioned into „statistic districts “. Most of it were in former times once independent municipalities and lost their independence by incorporation. The statistic districts are marked by a two digit Arab number.
- Urban district center: 10Grumme, 11 reversing triangle, 13 old person Bochum, 14 south city center, 15 Kruppwerke, 16 Hamme, 17 Hordel, 18 Hofstede, 19 Riemke
- urban district cotton wool-separate: 24 Günnigfeld, 25 cotton wool-separate - center, 26 Leithe, 27 west field, 28 Höntrop, 29 Eppendorf
- urban district north: 36 mountains/Hiltrop, 37Gerthe, 38 Harpen/Rosenberg, 39 Kornharpen/Voede branch
- urban district east: 46 Laer, 47 Werne, 48 Langendreer, 49 Langendreer age station
- urban district south: 53 Wiemelhausen/Brenschede, 54 Stiepel, 55 traverse castle
- urban district southwest: 63 Weitmar - center, 64 Weitmar Marks, 65 lime trees, 66 Dahlhausen
see to major item history of the city Bochum
of the 890 place for the first time mentioned 1041 in a document of the Cologne archbishops under the name Cofbuokheim for the first time documentary one mentioned. 1321 lent count EngelbertII. of the Mark Bochum municipal rights. Bochum remained - despite already for 14. Hard coal digging and/or - open mining - to in 19 occupied century and/or for 1502. Century inside an agriculture small town with some over-local authorities, to those 1738Local mining authority came.
Until 1806 the city belonged to the Prussian county Mark, then until 1813 to the Ruhr section of the Grand Duchy of mountain, afterwards temporarily to the Prussian Zivilgouvernement between Rhine and Weser. 1815 came the city to Prussia and became that Province Westphalia assigned. 1817 became the city Bochum seat of a district, from which she separated however 1876 (circle-free city). The circle Bochum existed still until 1929 and was then dissolved.
1832 began with the transition from the open mining toUnderground work the bloom time of the Bochumer of mining industry. Starting from 1837 the bases for the heavy industry were created (Bochumer association, Krupp steel AG). 1860 received Bochum connection to the Bergisch Märki railway, 1874 followed the Rheini railway, both became starting from 1880put under state control.1905 exceeded the number of inhabitants of the city Bochum the border of 100.000 inhabitants, which made her the large city.
To 9. November 1938, at the so-called realm crystal night, came it also into Bochum to excesses against the Jewish fellow citizens, thoseSynagog was into fire. The first Jewish citizens were kidnapped into the concentration camps and numerous Jewish mechanisms and dwellings were destroyed. About 500 Jewish citizens are in particular well-known, who died in the following years with the Shoa, among them 19, thoseyounger than 16 years were old. In December 1938 the Jewish people lady teacher Else deer began with the organization of altogether ten child transportation into the Netherlands and to Great Britain, in order to save Jewish children and young people.
During the Second World Warthe city was destroyed by bomb attacks to 38 per cent. After the war Bochum developed to a cultural center of the Ruhr district. 1962 opened the Adam OPEL AG, a daughter of general of engine, into that on the former bill areaQuarters Laer and Langendreer the three OPEL works, which became the symbol for the structural change in the Ruhr district.
1964 were finished in the quarter Harpen the Ruhr park, the first department store „on the green meadow “in the Federal Republic, and 1973 closed the latterBochumer bill (bill Hanover). Beside expanded industriellen zones developed large, partially nearly rurally working ranges through-become green, which among other things up to the Ruhr and to the Kemnader artificial lake (release 1980) hands. 1979 found the opening of the first metropolitan railway- Distance and the Ruhr stadium instead of.
Since 1919 Bochum theatre is and since 1965 university town (Ruhr University with approximately 33,000 studying), since 1988 also musical city. To 12. June 1988 opened German-language musical production „to Starlight express “from Andrew Lloyd Webberat the stadium ring in Bochum. The version produced in Bochum holds three records in „the Guinness book of the records “:
- 1.) for the first building, which was built particularly for a musical production,
- 2.) because this building in a record time of onlyscarcely one established to one year and finally
- 3.) for over ten million the visitors, who up to now experienced this production at the location Bochum.
1989 took up the metropolitan railway line U 35 from Bochum main station after Herne lock Strünkede the enterprise. 1993the cities Bochum, Hattingen, Herne and Witten united middle Ruhr district to the region . In the year 2003 the meeting center congress of Ruhr was inaugurated. 2004 came it with the works the Adam OPEL AG to strikes. In the year 2005 took place the Grundsteinlegung for the new synagog of the Jewish municipality Bochum - Herne - Hattingen.
- 1904 take place the first incorporations: Grumme, Hamme, Hofstede and Wiemelhausen
- 1926 second incorporation: Old person Bochum, mountains, Hordel, Riemke, Weitmar as well as parts ofEppendorf, Höntrop und Westenfeld werden eingegliedert. Into the neighbouring city cotton wool-separate become the municipalities Munscheid, Eppendorf, Günnigfeld, Höntrop, Westfälisch Leithe, Sevinghausen and west field as well as a small part of Königssteele in in common December.
- 1929 third large incorporation: Gerthe, Harpen, Hiltrop, Laer, Langendreer, Lime tree Dahlhausen, traverse castle, Stiepel and Werne integrated
- 1975 with the combination of the city circle-free since 1926 cotton wool-separate to the new “city Bochum” reaches the city its current expansion
1905 exceeded the number of inhabitants of the cityBochum the border of 100.000, whereby it became the large city. Until 1925 this number doubled itself on 200.000. At the 1. January 1975 reached the total population by the incorporation of the city cotton wool-separates (81,469 inhabitants 1974) with 417.336 its historical highest level. EndSeptembers 2005 lived 396,785 humans with main domicile in Bochum after official updating.
The following overview shows the numbers of inhabitants after the respective area conditions. Until 1833 it concerns usually around estimations, afterwards census results (¹) or official updating of the respective statistic ones Offices and/or the city administration. The data refer starting from 1843 to „the localpresent population “, starting from 1925 to the resident population and since 1987 to „the population at the place of the main dwelling “. 1843 ago the number of inhabitants was determined in non-uniform collection procedures.
¹ census result
Bochum belongedsince the establishment to the ore diocese Cologne and was subordinated to the Archidiakonat Cologne cathedral prop. width unit. Around 1570 the reformation gained a foothold. But it still lasted until 1613, when the lutherische municipality separated from the catholic municipality. Starting from 1634 developedalso a reformed municipality. The city was predominantly Protestant thereafter, but gave it always also to catholics, who belonged further to the ore diocese Cologne. 1821 were assigned it to the diocese and/or ore diocese Paderborn. Bochum became seat of a Dekanats later, into thoseDekanate Bochum center, Bochum south and Bochum east was partitioned.1958 were attached Bochum the again created diocese meal. The Cistercians established the monastery Stiepel. The Pfarrgemeinden Bochum belongs today to the Stadtdekanat Bochum and/or. Cotton wool-separate.
restructuring of the diocese meal
New Pfarrei structure in Bochum
up to 31. Decembers 2008 are after the plans of the bishop von Essen, under acceptance of a singular tradition break, all Bochumer Pfarrgemeinden including the Urpfarrei pc. Peter and Paul to be dissolved and in the city four Grosspfarreien develop:
- Pc. Peter and Paul (for the quarters: City center, honour field, Hamme, Hordel, Hofstede, Riemke and Grumme)
- dear women, old person Bochum (for the quarters: Old person Bochum, Langendreer, Laer, Werne, Gerthe and Hiltrop)
- pc. Franziskus, Weitmar (for the quarters: Weitmar, lime trees, Dahlhausen, Wiemelhausen, traverse castle, Hustadt andStone-coolly)
- pc. To Gertrud (for whole cotton wool-separate)
The Cistercian Klosterpfarrei pc. Marien in Stiepel remains existing as independent municipality and does not become not into thosenew structure of the diocese meal integrated.
Protestant church communities, free churches and religious communities
the Protestant municipalities of Bochum came with the transition of the city at Prussia to the Evangelist church into Prussia and/or its westfälischer Provinzialkirche. Bochum became seat of oneSuperintendentur, from which the today's parish district Bochum came out within the Evangelist church of Westphalia. This covers altogether 22 Evangelist church municipalities within the city Bochum.
Beside the Evangelist and catholic municipalities in Bochum there are also still different free churches, under itthe municipality of the Christians Ecclesia, the Evangelist-freechurch municipalities (Baptisten), free ones Evangelist municipalities, the independent Evangelical-Lutheran church (SELK) and the municipality of God. Also the Neuapostoli church and the Christian community, as well as the Jehovas a witness are inBochum represent.
to 14. November 2005 became in the presence of the chairman of the Central Council of the Jews in Germany, Dr. Paul Spiegel, the foundation-stone for the new synagog of the Jewish municipality Bochum - Herne - Hattingenat the Castroper road put. Into the official foundation-stone Oberbürgermeisterin put Dr.Ottilie Scholz beside a current daily paper a silver city ingot as memory of the day.
due to the predominantly Turkish immigration in the last third of the20. Century developed five Islamic municipalities in Bochum.
at the point of the city stood first the gräfliche city-Schult-hot of the county Mark. But already an advice is provable, that 2 mayors and 6 advice men since 1321(„Advice friends “) belonged. The mayors were selected annually until 1744. Starting from 1731 there were one „mayor word-holding “, that the total line of the city had and 2. Mayor, who was responsible for affairs of police and the market. Besides it gave 3 senators, forBuilding and housing, for fire natures and for the Kämmerei. Between 1714 and 1765 the advice was appointed by the Prussian government. Afterwards it was again selected. In French time a Maire stood, starting from 1815 a mayor at the pointthe city.1843 were separated the Landbürgermeisterei Bochum and inserted in the city the revised city order.
During the time of the national socialists the mayor was used of the NSDAP. Bochum became administrative seat LV gau of the Westphalia south. After the Second World War those set Military government of the British zone of occupation a new mayor, and 1946 introduced it the municipal constitution after British model. Afterwards there was „an advice of the city selected by the people “, whose members one calls „city delegate “. The advice selected at first from itsIn the middle of the mayor as chairmen and representatives of the city, which was honorary active. The moreover one the advice selected a full-time director of upper city than directors/conductors of the city administration likewise starting from 1946. 1994 were given up the double head in the city administration. Since that time it gives onlystill the full-time mayor. This is a chairman of the advice, director/conductor of the city administration and representative of the city. He was selected 1999 for the first time directly by the people.
Mayor and/or mayor
- 1773 - 1817: George Friedrich Jacobi
- 1817 - 1835: CasparHeinrich Steelmann
- 1835 - 1843: Heinrich of loading man
- 1843 - 1873: Maximilian Greve
- 1874 - 1876: Smelling pool of broadcasting corporations Karl Adalbert examiner
- 1877 - 1891: Dr. Carl Boell man
- 1892 - 1899: Karl cock
- 1900 - 1925: Fritz William George Graff
- 1925 - 1933: Dr. Otto Ruer
- 1933 - 1943: Dr. Otto Leopold Piclum
- 1944 - 1945: Friedrich Hesseldieck
- 1945: Ferdinand Bahlmann
- 1945 - 1946: Dr. Franz Geyer
- 1946: Tilmann Beckers (not recognized by the British military government)
- 1946 - 1952: Willi Geldmacher
- 1952 - 1969: Fritz Heinemann
- 1969 - 1975: Fritz Claus
- 1975 - 1994: Heinz Eikelbeck (SPD)
- 1994 - 2004: Seriousness Otto Stüber (SPD)
- 2004 until today: Dr. Ottilie Scholz (SPD)
directors of upper city
- 1946: Dr. Franz Geyer (not recognized by the British military government)
- 1946 - 1951: Dr. Franz Schmidt
- 1952 - 1976: Dr. Gerhard Petschelt
- 1976 - 1990: Harsh ore Jahofer
- 1990 - 1993: Dieter Bongert
- 1993 - 1994: Dr. Burkhard turner
the advice of the city has at present 76 members. These distribute themselves since the local election of 2004 as follows:
- SPD of 31 seats
- CDU of 25 seats
- The Green of 9 seats
- UWG 3 seats
- FDP 3 seats
- Party of Democratic Socialism 3 seats
- social one list of 2 seats
coat of arms
the coat of arms of the city Bochum shows white-red geschachteten bars in blue one in three rows,occupied with a standing black book with golden section, silver cover coinage and two silver black latches verzierten. The city colors are blue white. The today's coat of arms was accepted after the recent enlargement of the city 1975, whereby the red-white bar from the oldWattenscheider coat of arms was taken. The old Bochumer coat of arms showed only the book without the white-red bar. It was crowned by a Stadtmauer. This coat of arms had been confirmed 1913 officially fixed and to 1953 by the main statute of the city, whereby it alreadyinto the seal printing from that 14. Century to see is. The origin of the book as coat of arms symbol is not well-known however. It occasionally also called “talking coat of arms”, because one assumed, the city name Bochum come of the word book. This could however not to be confirmed.
partnerships between cities
Bochum maintains with the following cities partnerships between cities:
|Sheffield (Great Britain), since 1950|
|Oviedo (Spain), since 1980|
|Donezk (Ukraine), since 1987|
|north living (Thuringia), since 1990|
|Xuzhou (China), since 1994 (economiceconomics partnership between cities)|
culture and objects of interest
Bochum have 20 theatre play places (Comödie Bochum, Constantin music theatre, thatCharm box, German forum for figure theatres and doll play art, Figurentheater Kolleg, free light stage cotton wool-separate, century-resounds, Musi center of the Ruhr University Bochum, prince regent theatre, quarter shop rainbow, congress of Ruhr Bochum, Schauspielhaus Bochum, town hall cotton wool-separate, Starlight express, Thealozzi cultural center, theatre of tides in the theatre house hit a corner Homo, theatre Thespis, theatreTotally, Varieté Et cetera, forest stage Höntrop)
- Schauspielhaus Bochum - in 1908 built former Varietétheater 1915 opened the urban theatre. During the First World War there the urban stage from Duesseldorf gastierte. Already soon the theatre made itself as Shakespeare- Stage a name. In the Second World War nearly completely destroyed, the today's Bochumer Schauspielhaus on the old foundations until 1954, which is also architecturally remarkable, developed (architect: Gerhard Graubner).
The theatre in Bochum is not least because of its directors famous.
- Saladin Schmitt (1919 - 1949)
- Hans Schalla (1949 - 1972)
- Peter Zadek (1972 - 1979)
- Claus Peymann (1979 - 1986)
- franc Patrick Steckel (1986 - 1995)
- Leander house man (1995 -2000)
- Matthias's Hartmann (2000 - 2005)
- Elmar Goerden (since 2005)
- Starlight express - since 1988 it is a public magnet in Bochum.
qui Stadt Bochum beherbergt 12 Museen : Farmhouse museum with house Kemnade, German mining industry museum, railway museum Dahlhausen, local history museum Helfs yard, art collections and antique museum of the Ruhr University, medicine-historical collection of the Ruhr University Bochum, museum Bochum - art collection, school museum,Situation art, telephone museum, bill Hanover (with bill Knirps) Westfäli industrial museum.
Museum Bochum - art collection: The museum Bochum was opened to 1960 in the mansion Marckhoff. 1983 took place with a new building of the Danish architects Bo and well-being ore an extension.The collection covers to German art after 1945 and on the other hand international art 20. Century. See also: City park Bochum.
German mining industry museum: The German mining industry museum became in the year 1930 of the Westfäli mountain trade union cash and the cityBochum based. It is besides the center of the Montangeschichtsforschung in Germany. The 1974 of the Dortmunder bill “Germania” here translozierte winding tower over the museum meanwhile the far away visible landmark of the city became. There is for visitors the possibilityto throw from two prospect platforms in 50 m and in 62 m height a view over the city. In 20 resounding numerous objects from mining industry history are issued. Under the museum is in a depth between 17 and 22the opinion mine. On a distance of 2,5 km the technology of the hard coal and iron ore mining industry is represented into the most recent time.
1919 created orchestras of the city Bochum has itself in the course of its history to onethe most important concert ochestras in the west of Germany develops. Since 1994 Steven Sloane works as a head conductor of the Bochumer Symphoniker. In addition far admits is on Sunday after that 6. January taking place original “concert with candle light” in the Christian king church. OfOrganists of the Pfarrei William cellar led Christmas concert lured last 2006 approx. 800 guests into the fully occupied former monastic church at the stone ring. Members of the Bochumer Symphoniker, (church) choirs and solo singers/inside participate in each year.
Bochum possesses at present9 cinemas, among other things:
- UCI cinema world Ruhr park (multiplex)
- union cinema Bochum
- Metropolis Filmtheater
- last stop, cinema in the station Langendreer
- Casablanca cinema
- Bofimax Bochum
- Fiege cinema open air (in the summer)
buildings and objects of interest
- city hall Bochum - with the building of the city hall 1926 were begun. In the year 1927 the Grundsteinlegung took place and to 20. May 1931 the opening. The building possesses a to a large extent symmetrical sketch. In the symmetry axis of the advice yard that liesHall construction with Nebenhöfen at both sides. The exterior is simply held the entrance portal as well as the two-story porch and at the right front is the only front decorative fixtures. The base of the building consists of hard granite stone, for the front became shelly limestoneused and for the roof slate. In the corridors and representation rooms were used marble, bronze and dark wood panels. The building of city halls cost at that time the sum of 9.25 million realm Marks, large for conditions. Further elements of the inner court are the bell tower and the wells made of Travertin and bronze. One is dedicated to Fortuna and with symbol-basic deseaming verziert: Marriage ring and slippers stand for marriage luck, the apple symbolize fertility, the empty purse optimism and Seifenblasen the illusion. The bell play existsfrom 28 casting steel bells with a total weight of 2.300 kilograms, everyone between 375 and 4 kilograms. It concerns thereby the first bell play of the world made of casting steel. The bell before the city hall was 1867 as the largest of four bellsan attraction on the world exhibition in Paris. It was poured by the Bochumer association for mining industry and casting steel production AG. It stood until 1979 as monument on the work area. The company Krupp conveyed it to 1979 of the city. With a diameter of3.13 meters has it a weight of 15.000 kilograms. Since it was damaged in the Second World War, cannot be rung it any longer.
- Propsteikirche pc. Peter and Paul - the Propsteikirche is the oldest church of Bochum. Already between 785 and800 by emperor Karl the large one on the area a realm yard was put on and converted several times since then. Inside the Propsteikirche numerous works of art are to be seen from different epochs. To emphasize the Roman Taufstein is from the time around 1175,the reliquary casket of the holy Perpetua and its slave Felicitas, as well as the high altar with its Christ figure from the year 1352.
- Pauluskirche - Protestanten and catholics had themselves after the reformation first for a long time and not alwaysby agreement the only church of Bochum, the today's catholic Propsteikirche, divided.1655 began the lutherische municipality with building of its own place of worship. The simple Renaissance building was established until 1659 with donations made of Holland , Sweden , cure country and Denmark. Their name receivedthe Pauluskirche only after 1874, when the Christ church at the city hall had been built. The Pauluskirche burned due to a bomb attack to 12. June 1943 up to the outside walls down, was again developed however after the war, the building receivedits current, a medieval village church appropriate appearance. In order to bring the Pauluskirche in the townscape better to the effect, their tower 1949 was increased, a small place was created and the direct neighbour land development was kept low. The modern windows in the altar area, around 1960 productionof the Bochumer artist K. Willy Heyer, point the three stations of the transformation of the Saulus to the Paulus, the name patron of the church.1974 were transformed again the interior after plans by briefly Peter Kremer.
- The memorial of the peace beside the church, thoseso-called” mourning old persons “, Cologne sculptor Gerhard the Marcks comes from. It is to the frights of the Second World War and to the bomb attack on Bochum to 4. November 1944 remind. The monument was revealed 1955 and is from basalt lava gehauen.An old woman, who - probably in vain, is explained - keeps out-looked after someone.
- Christ church Bochum - which Christ church (1877 establish - 1878) in the Second World War up to the tower was destroyed. The architect Dieter Oesterlen added inthe 1950er years a modern church new building in addition.
- Marienkirche - with their the church (builds from 1868 to 1872) dominates itself approximately 70 meters high again-gothical pointed helmet, directly the urban extension following to the town centre to the west. In May 2000 becameit admits church-internally that the responsible persons of the committees of the pc. Marien church Bochum center, church executive committee and Pfarrgemeinderat under minister Gerhard Schürmann (Pfarrei pc. Meinolphus & Mauritius), which had decided outline of the old-venerable place of worship. The last office for high in the parish church found to 22. September 2002 instead of. Since then the building stands empty, for valuable wall mosaics of the tower niches simply was reduced and thereby mostly was broken, the colored Glasfenster developed. The further fate of the church is uncertain.
- Zeiss Planetarium Bochum - thatPlanetarium is in at the Castroper road in Bochum. The building has a diameter of approximately 20 meters and a Projektionsfläche of approximately 600 m ². Principal item of the plant is the planetary. The first equipment of this kind in Europein April 2000 in Bochum his service began. The Planetarium offers several different programs, also particularly for grades.
- observatory Bochum - the observatory in the quarter Sundern offers on Fridays between 19:30 and 21:30 the possibilityto the star observation. For this numerous telescopes are available .
- Century-resounds - as exhibition hall of the Bochumer of association for the Düsseldorfer industrial show “century-resounds” 1902 was built and afterwards as blower machinery building for the blast furnaces of the Bochumer of association reused. It was extended several times, thatName century-resounds designation today the entire building, which extends over a surface of 8900 m ². Since their reorganization resounds for meetings used, as for instance the RuhrTriennale. Meanwhile it is the center of the new west park. ThatWest park was opened in the first section 1999 and is to be finished placed to at the end of of 2006. In direct neighbourhood is the concert hall of the Bochumer Symphoniker century-resounds after a draft of Thomas van the Valentyn to develop shortly.
- Kuhhirten monument -Between Propsteikirche the pc. Peter and Paul and Pauluskirche standing monument show Fritz Kortebusch with its dog, the last Kuhhirten of Bochum, which drove the cattle of the citizens on the Vöde (urban pastureland). The original figure from 1908 became in secondWorld war melted.1962 were made a revised version. See also: Fritz Kortebusch.
- Kemnader lake - this artificial lake at the Ruhr predominantly serves for to the water management and local recreation.
- Water castle house Kemnade - the water castle became in 17. Century at the Ruhrbuilt. In it is the music instrument collection Hans and Hede Grumbt with more than 500 instruments and play clocks. Likewise in the castle to see is the Ostasiatika collection of briefly Ehrich. East the castle is in a half timbered house the farmhouse museum. The building of the year 1800 was again composed in the course by renovation work only at the beginning of the 1970er years here. It shows rural cultural property from that 16. to 18. Century.
- Stiepeler village church - around 1008 a small hall church becamebuilt. The building became of countess Imma of Stiepel, related of emperor Heinrich II. and empress Kunigunde, arranges. Between 1130 and 1170 the old church was replaced by a Roman Basilika. Is from this church today still thatTower and the central and transverse ship receive. Numerous Roman winding and ceiling paintings in the interior of the church were made from 1150 to 1200.
- Ruhr park - the Ruhr park was opened in November 1964 and in several sections on at present about 126,000 m ²extended. It was the first shopping centre of this kind in Germany.
- Ruhr stadium - the Ruhr stadium is the stadium of the VfL Bochum. It was built between March 1976 and July 1979 and with a play against the SG cotton wool-separates 09 inaugurated.It has 16,756 seats 32.645 spectator places, of it.
- Railway museum Dahlhausen - the railway museum is on the area of the former railway operating work Bochum Dahlhausen. The plant became 1916 - 1918 establishes. Since end of the 1960er years the Kohleförderung in the southern Ruhr district became unprofitableand the bills closed, thus also the railway company within this range decreased/went back, redundantly became the operating work. It became at the 1. August 1969 as independent agency closed and partly back-built. The truck repair was stopped 1982. The German society for railway history registered association.starting from the year 1968 gradually again to the operating condition and construct the museum in the today's form could carry the plants back.
- main cemetery free count dam - the cemetery lying in the quarter old person Bochum is the largest of the city. Itinto the 1920er years gardening one planned, one established above ground structures in the input area only between 1935 and 1939. The Eingangstor, the large and the small mourning hall as well as the crematorium show the architectural style of the national socialism most clearly . In the Second World Warthe regime used the buildings as window blind for central funeral services for in the bombardment died the Bochumer inhabitant. Beside the civilian population and a number of German soldiers on the cemetery altogether 1,720 forced laborers from the former Soviet Union were buried, inWar primarily in the armaments industry used were. Of it today a memorial in Latin and cyrillic writing reminds.
- Rudolf Steiner School Langendreer, 1965. The building is a building of pioneers of school's building architecture. It was European-wide the first school's building, if notworld-wide, which is plastic artistically built. It was sketched to at the beginning of the 60's by the architect Werner Seyfert and the artist Wilfried Ogilvie. The building draws by a free course, hyperbolically strained roof areas, a differently formed area and a specialHall out. The architect developed further Rudolf Steiner Schools with differently formed classrooms, depending upon the age group of the pupils on basis of this experience. A beginning, which is used until today only in these Pädagogik.
supraregional meaningin the sport Bochum holds the German master in the Steeldart DSC Bochum, the hand clenching gutters by the football crews of the VfL Bochum and the SG cotton wool-separates 09, from Teutonia Riemke, the Basketballer from BG southern park, the German masters inWasserball from sports association blue white, the Leichtathleten and Sportgymnastinnen of the TV cotton wool-separate 01 as well as the Bochum Cadets (gentlemen) and Bochum Miners (women), which is successful in the American football.
the Bermudadreieck is with 60 gastronomischen enterprisesthe most important tavern center of the Ruhr district. Over three million guests visit the tavern mile per year. In the summer come up to 30.000 guests per day, with large events as the festival Bochum total, that annual on the first weekend of North-Rhine/Westphalian summer holidaystakes place, come up to 400.000 visitors per day. Bochum is location of many discotheques and cultural facilities, for example the cultural center station Langendreer and the bill Bochum.
The red light quarter of the city is at the western edge of the city center in the proximity thatProduction plants of the Bochumer of association. The there mechanisms carry in the vernacular the designations „for cucumber “, „egg mountain “ or also crude „belt rolling mill “.
- April: Bochumer organ days
- April: Bochumer May evening celebration (last April weekend)
- May: Figure theatre of the nations (Fidena)
- July:Rubissimo - summer celebration of the Ruhr University
- June: Ruhr district amateur theatre meeting
- June: Kemnade internationally
- July: Bochum total (on the first weekend of summer holidays in North Rhine-Westphalia)
- July/August: Savings banks giro Bochum (two weeks after conclusion of the route de France)
- October: October market
- November: Child and youth theatre days
- December: Weihnachtsmarkt
- laboratory Bochum - an area for all humans, who would like themselves to argue with the range of topics people technique company constructionally, critically and creatively.
economics and infrastructure
the city is attached over numerous railway connections to the surrounding cities and has altogether 9 stations. Besides operate several regional course - and regional express lines, as well as a rapid-transit railway line (S1). In the city there is a to a large extent underground metropolitan railway line(U35 from Bochum Hustadt after Herne lock Strünkede), as well as 5 streetcar lines, which drive likewise underground in the city center, just like numerous Buslinien by the BOGESTRA in the context of the traffic group Rhine Ruhr (VRR) operated. The main station is regular ICE - and IC- Stop of the lines running over the Ruhr district. It is submitted of an extensive reorganization and modernization at present.
in the city of Bochum three federal motorways A 40, A 43 run and A 44 as well as an urban motorway, which Bochumer ring, which former LV 7, which today in their sections after the Bochumer twin cities (Sheffield, Oviedo, north living, Donezk) is designated. Besides some federal highways cross the city (toExample B 51). At present a connection is planned by A44 and A40 over the former LV 7, the so-called OPEL clip. In addition is to be developed A 40 to meals sechsspurig. These plans already are since the 1990erYears decided, originally, in order to ensure a better binding of the OPEL of work 1 in the quarter Laer to the transportation network. After the discussion from October 2004 over a possible locking of the OPEL - location Bochum, is momentarily again questionable the development.
as one of the few cities of the Ruhr district is tied up Bochum directly to the German federal water way net. A binding exists over Herne in the north to the Rhine Herne channel. Over the Ruhr lain in the south of the city one hasto arrive with smaller boats the possibility over air-locks at the Rhine. The navigation for the industry was for a long time stopped.
the nearest airports are in Dortmund, meal/Mülheim and Duesseldorf and are to reach over motorways. To the airport in Duesseldorf a direct connection exists over ICE -, IC -, RH and rapid-transit railway lines. Further attainable air traffic tying up are the Konrad Adenauer airport in Cologne, the airport Niederrhein in the area Kleve, in the cathedral country the airport cathedral Osnabrück as well as the airport Paderborn/Lippstadt in the east.
- Bogestra (head office)
- private brewery Moritz Fiege
- GEA Group AG (company center) - largest quoted enterprise of Bochum
- Johnson control
- Gebr. Eickhoff engine works and. Iron foundry GmbH
- Nokia (ATO center, service andR&D)
- Adam OPEL GmbH - in the Bochumer works among other things the OPEL Zafira produces
- GLS bank
- Bochumer association - former company portion of ThyssenKrupp
- QVC - call center GmbH & cost. Kg
- German old age pension insurance scarce shank course lake - head office
- FABER Lotto serviceKg
- USB environmental service Bochum GmbH - city. Entsorger (100%ige daughter of the Bochumer of public utilities)
- Aral - seat
the West German general newspaper (WAZ) and the Ruhr message (RN) appear with own expenditures for restaurant. In addition appearsOn Wednesdays and Saturday the free local newspaper „city mirrors “. An however position has the free „Langendreerer Dorfpostille “, the 1981 in the course of soziokultureller establishments of magazine (1976 „looking hole “later in „prince “renamed, 1978 „Marabo “, 1982 „terminals “, 1983 „coolibri “)in the life one called. It realizes this very day its urspüngliches concept of a political Gegenöffentlichkeit related to a limited local area.
since 1990 sends „98,5 radio Bochum “a local radio program in co-operation with radio North-Rhine/Westphaliain upper living. Chief talking document urine is Andrea Donat. Responsibly for the range sport is Michael Ragsch. Moderators of the early transmission „hello awake “are Alexander Brauer and Ansgar borrowing man. A cult character attained football reporter Günther Pohl („Tooor in the Ruhr stadium “). Under the name Ruhr wave is thatTransmitters started, later he was renamed in radio 98,5.He is called 98,5 radio Bochum since that 24. February 2006.
Since 1997 „CT sends the radio “(first Campusradio on own frequency in North-Rhine/Westphalia) a local radio program on the frequency90 MHz. Before „radio was c.t. “a program item been in the citizen radio of the Ruhr wave.
my Bochum concerns itself almost exclusively with local politics, while Bo-alternative takes up also cultural topics and offers different service sides. Stud.rub.de however presents the emphasisstudent interests, there are above all date references for party to find fun and culture.
- federal scarce shank
- Chamber of Commerce and industrie in the middle Ruhr district to Bochum - chamber district: Circle-freeCities Bochum and Herne as well as the cities Hattingen and jokes of the Ennepe Ruhr circle
see also: Bochumer model
in Bochum finditself the following six universities:
- Ruhr University Bochum, one of the largest universities of Germany, based 1965
- professional school Bochum, based 1972 from several predecessor mechanisms, under others the national school of engineering for Maschinenwesen, the national school of engineering for building industry Recklinghausen and the higher restaurant schoolBochum
- technical professional school George Agricola - the university goes back on the 1816 created Bochumer mountain school. 1971 were established the professional school mining industry, which was transferred of 1990 into the working group of the German Montan technology company for teachings and education ltd. (DMT-LB). Since 1995 carry the professional school for its current names.
- Evangelist professional school Rhine land Westphalia lip - the 1971 nationally recognized professional school decrease/go back to several church and dia.-conical mechanisms.
- Professional school of the federation for public administration, the specialist area social security of the professional school of the federation for publicAdministration possesses, beside its head office in Berlin, also a seat in Bochum (with the federal scarce shank).
- Play school Bochum - the former Westfäli play school is since 1. January 2000 the Folkwang university in meals attached.
- In the building of the administrative andWirtschaftsakademie is a study center of the professional school for economics & management.
Besides there are several hauptschule, in Bochum six-form high schools, 11 High Schools (Albert Einstein school, Goethe school Bochum, count close Elbe blank school, High School at the east ring, Heinrich of Kleist school, light way school, Hildegardis school, Lessing school, Märki school, Schiller school and Theodor grain school) and 4 comprehensive schools (e.g. Erich Kästner school, Heinrich Boell comprehensive school, Maria Sibylla Merian comprehensive school and Willy Brandt comprehensive school). The Louis Baare Berufskolleg is visited by over 3.000 pupils.
The city Bochum lent the honour citizen right to the following persons (listing chronologically after award):
- 1846: Johannes come by, teachers
- 1876: Hermann Schultz, senior counsel and attorney
- 1885: Otto von Bismarck, realm chancellor
- 1887: Louis Baare, secret Kommerzienrat andCity delegate
- 1904: Hermann Pieper, mountain advice and agent
- 1917: Paul von Hindenburg, general field marshal and later realm president
- 1925: Fritz Graff, mayor
- 1933: Adolf Hitler, Führer and realm chancellor (1984 officially denied by the advice of the city again)
- 1933: Josef Wagner, gau leader of the NSDAP (after exclusion from the NSDAP around 1940 again one denied to it; as per. Report to the British military government of 1946)
- 1944: Saladin Schmitt, general manager
- 1962: Dr. jur. Karl Rawitzki, city delegate
- 1965: Dr. jur. Franz Geyer, mayor
- 1969: Fritz Heinemann, mayor
- 1975: Fritz Claus, Oberbürgermeister
- 1976: Dr. Gerhard Petschelt, director of upper city
sons and daughters of the city
- 1686, 30. May, count Heinrich Johann Friedrich Ostermann, (Russian Andrej Iwanowitsch), † 25. May 1747 in Beresow (Siberia), Russian diplomat and statesman
- 1791 Adalbert of the Recke Volmerstein (* 28. May 1791 in Overdyk with Bochum, † 10. November 1878 in Kraschnitz), joint founders of the Diakonie
- 1867, 7. December, Wenceslaus bunch field, † 27. July 1933, founder of the Kolleg pc. Ludwig in the Netherlands
- 1880, 9. May, Heinrich forging farmhand, † 4. August 1962 in Bochum, architect
- 1895, 21. December, Hermann stop Erich, † 6. January 1952, politician (SPD), MdB
- 1896, 7. January, August Oppenberg, † 16. August 1977 in Schermbeck, painter
- 1900, 21. April, Hans Fritz, † 27. September 1953 in Cologne, journalist and carrier of different functions in the realm Ministry for public enlightenment and propaganda
- 1902, 1. August, Dr. Siegfried Balke, † 11. June 1984 in Munich, politician (CSU), MdB, Federal Minister for the post office and telecommunication system(1953-1956), Federal Ministers for atomic energy and water management (1956-1962), president of the Federal union of the German employers' associations Federal Employers Association (1964-1969)
- 1910, 5. February, Hans living, * 5.2.1910 in Bochum, † 1977 in Höxter, artist, painter
- 1917, 21. October, Heinz Oskar cousin, † 18. October 1990 in Mülheim/Ruhr, chairman of the German trade union federation DGB (1969-1982)
- 1918, 4. August, Claus cross-beam, † 21. September 1996, actor (among other things Hasso in space patrol)
- 1921, 15. June, Heinz fire-place ski, †17. February 2002 in Arnsberg, chemistry engineer and radio astronomer, leader of “cape fire-place ski “)
- 1924, 9. March, Peter Scholl Latour, Journalist, Publizist and Buchautor
- 1925, 25. September, Hans Matthöfer, Federal Minister for research and technology(1974-1978), Federal Ministers of Finance (1978-1982), Federal Ministers for the post office and distance reporting department (1982)
- 1927, 9. May, Manfred own, physics chemist (1967 Nobelpreis for chemistry)
- 1927, Friedrich Gräsel, artist
- 1929, 4. February, Friedhelm penalty, neo-Nazi, up toChairman of the right-wing extremists forbade FAP, NPD member
- 1932, 20. July, Otto Schily, Federal Minister of the Interior (1998-2005)
- 1937, 7. November, Konrad Schily, politician and since 2005 MdB
- 1940, 18. January, Martin Kayenburg, politician, federal state parliament presidentof Schleswig-Holstein
- 1940, 7. July, Wolfgang Clement, former Prime Minister von Nordrhein-Westfalen, Bundesminister for economics and work (2002-2005)
- 1947, 2. January, Eberhard Figgemeier, journalist and sport reporter
- 1948, 16. November, Norbert lamb ore, President of the Bundestag
- 1952, 12. February, Heinz Josef Koitka, former federal league - professional at Hamburg sports association
- 1955, Hans's Werner Olm, Kabarettist
- 1958, Ute Thimm, light athlete
- 1962, Ingo Naujoks, actor
- 1963, Thomas Hermanns, Kabarettist
- 1966, 31. May, Frank Goosen, writer, Kabarettist
- 1968, 26. February, Hennes Bender, Kabarettist
- 1970, 15. February Mark of warning corner, world record owner in the 50m breaststroke swimming
- 1972, 4. April, Bastian Pastewka, actor and Komödiant
- 1975, 7. January, Michael sausage, singer
- 1975, 12. Other one the following persons are inseparably
, Patrick Joswig, actor [work on] beyond that, them are however other place one born:
- Carl Arnold Kortum, * 5. July 1745 in Mülheim at the Ruhr; † 15. August 1824 in Bochum, physician and writer
- Johann Joachim Schlegel, * 27. September 1821 in saving home, Franconia, † 13. April 1880 in Bochum, Bierbrauer andFounder Schlegel brewery AG
- Carlo's Otto alias Dr. C. Otto, * 1838 in Mexico; † 13. November 1897, chemist (pupil Liebigs)
- Else deer * 29. July 1889 in Bützow, Schwerin; † in the Ghetto Riga, Jewish teacher, in thatTime of the national socialism of child transportation to England organized
- Liselotte Rauner, * 21. February 1920 in Berne castle/Saale, † 2. July 2005 in Bochum, authoress, foundress of the Liselotte and walter Rauner donation
- max of Imdahl, * 6. September 1925 in Aachen; †11. October 1988 in Bochum, art historian
- Tana digging era, * 19. December 1925 in Kiel, actress at the Bochumer Schauspielhaus
- Klaus steep man, * 12. June 1929 in Neustrelitz, Mecklenburg, textile entrepreneur in Bochum-cotton wool-separate
- Professor. Dr. med. Dietrich Grönemeyer, Physician and founder of the micro therapy, * 12. November 1952 grown up in Clausthal Zellerfeld, brother of harsh ore Grönemeyer, in Bochum
- Armin Rohde, * 4. April 1955 in Gladbeck, actors
- Herbert Grönemeyer, actor and singer (underother one of the song „Bochum “), * 12. April 1956 in Goettingen, brother of Professor. Dr. med. Dietrich Grönemeyer, grown up in Bochum
- of Claude olive Rudolph, * 30. November 1956 in Frankfurt A.M., Actors
- Ralf judge, * 17. August1957 in meal, actors
- Jochen Malmsheimer, * 27. July 1961 grown up in meals, in Bochum, Kabarettist
- André Tanneberger, * 26. February 1973 in free mountain (Saxonia), lives and works as DJ and a producer in Bochum. Betteradmits under its artist name ATB
- Mambo short, civil Rainer Limpinsel, * 11. April 1967 in Hagen, musicians and however under owner
- Alexander Hofmann, 25. May 1980 in Mindelheim, sportsman (motorcycle racing)
- Westfäli city book;Volume III 2. Volume from “German city book. Manual of urban history - on behalf of the working group of the historical commissions and with support of the German city daily, the German standard ware and the German municipality daily, hrsg. by Erich Keyser, Stuttgart, 1954
- sketch to the GermanAdministrative history 1815 - 1945, hrsg. from roll ago Hubatsch, volume 8: Westphalia. Marburg at the Lahn, 1980.
- Bochumer restaurant round - known, turn out, won: 1080 Quiz questions, hrsg. of Tobias Haucke and Timo Rieg, Bochum 2002, ISBN 3-928781-99-5
- Bochum, hrsg. YokesV. Wagner and Monika Viborni.ISBN 383131036X, 2003.
- Bochum, star of the Ruhr district, hrsg. of Th. Sprinkler and H. Schmitz. ISBN 3922785794, 2003.
- Bochumer scene change - pictures and memories from 5 decades urban history, Tobias Haucke and RobertGorny, ISBN 3928781901, 2003
- Westfäli city Atlas; Volume: VIII; 1 volume. On behalf of the historical commission for Westphalia and with support of the landscape federation Westphalia lip, hrsg. by Heinz Stoob † and Wilfried Ehbrecht.
- City briefcase Bochum, author: Heinrich Schoppmeyer. ISBN 3-89115-168-3; Dortmund Altenbeken, 2004.
- Bochumer acquaintance - haven advice: Bd 1 (2002, with Dariusz Wosz, franc Goosen, Christof Wackernagel, Dietrich Grönemeyer) ISBN 3-928781-81-2, volume 2 (2003, with Armin Rohde, Hennes Bender) ISBN 3-928781-82-0, volume 3 (2004, with Hugo Ernst Käufer, Chris Hopkins) ISBN 3-928781-83-9.
Web on the left of
|Wikinews: Bochum - current messages|
|Wiktionary: Bochum - word origin, synonyms and translations|
|Commons: Bochum - pictures, videos and/or audio files|
|Wikiquote: Bochum - quotations|
- web pages of the city Bochum
- pictures from Bochum with Flickr, the Fotocommunity
- further one left to the topic „Bochum “ in the open directory Project
- Bochumer times - contributions to the urban history, local history and geography and care of monuments
Aachen | Aachen (circle) | Bielefeld | Bochum | Bonn | Barks | Bottrop | Coesfeld | Dortmund | Duisburg | Düren | Duesseldorf | Ennepe Ruhr circle | Meal | Euskirchen | Gel churches | Gütersloh | Hagen | Hamm | Heinsberg | Herford | Herne | High sour district | Höxter | Kleve | Cologne | Krefeld | Leverkusen | Lip | Märki circle | Metz man | Minden Lübbecke | Moenchengladbach | Mülheim at the Ruhr | Münster | Neuss | Oberbergi circle | Upperlive | Olpe | Paderborn | Recklinghausen | Rem-separate | Rhine Erft circle | Rhine victory circle | Rheinisch Bergi circle | Victory joke gene stone | Soest | Solingen | Stone ford | Unna | Viersen | Goods village | Wesel | Wuppertal
old person Bochum | Mountains | Dahlhausen | Eppendorf | Gerthe | Günnigfeld | Grumme | Hamme | Harpen | Hiltrop | Hofstede | Höntrop | Hordel | Kornharpen | Laer | Langendreer | Lime trees | In the middle of | Traverse castle | Riemke | Sevinghausen | Stiepel | Cotton wool-separate | Weitmar | Wiemelhausen | Werne | West field
|This article was taken up to the list of the articles worth reading.|