box Office [engl./us amerik. umgspr.] originally designated the map switch at the entrance of a cinema. In the meantime the term for the incomes is used, which a motion picture film gains during its play time in cinemas.
Conversions of US-American films are indicated in US Dollar, special attention experience here the opening weekend (or Opening Weekend), since a newly started motion picture film often attracts most visitors on this weekend. On the basis these incomes frequently on the further play time of a film one decides. So many rental business contracts have in the meantime a clause, which obligates owners of cinema to it, a film further to demonstrate if the bringing in results on this weekend a determined border to exceed.
In Germany in contrast to this the numbers of visitors for the success of a motion picture film are near-taken. Here the German institute for film promotion publishes film hit lists, which are based on the data of the rental business companies. Besides Marktforschungsinstitut Nielsen seizes - EDI with the German cinema operators the bringing in results and numbers of visitors and offers these data against payment at subscribers (particularly at (specialized) magazines).
Web on the left of
- data base over film numbers of visitors in Europe
- market data and film hit lists of the German institute for film promotion (starting from 1986) (annual statements as individual pdf - files)
- boxofficemojo.com - data base over bringing in results of US-American of films (English)
- boxofficeprophets.com bringing in results of US-American of films (with “forecasts”)
- data base over bringing in results of US-American of films, a list over most successful star after bringing in results and far mad extra (English)