under an Cameo appearance (also Cameo) one understands the surprising and temporally limited occurrence of a well-known person in a film or a series. The most important criterion of the Cameos is above all that the appearance in pre and do not remove (Credits) one does not calland to the surprise/characteristic it becomes whether he is recognized or not.
The term Cameo appearance invented of the producer Michael Todd during the turning work to its filming of the Jules Verne of classical author “in 80 days around the world” with David Niven and Cantinflas in the main roles. In this80 of superstar in Cameo roles arises to film of the superlative, which concerns the expenditure of its production, among other things Frank Sinatra, Marlene Dietrich, Shirley MacLaine, Trevor Howard, Fernandel, Buster Keaton, Peter Lorre and John Carradine.
Admits became practicethe Cameos by Alfred Hitchcock, which pointed itself to nearly all its films for a short moment - usually in the role of a typical Statisten. Today is above all Quentin Tarantino admits for short guest appearances.
The practice of the Cameos is usually more multicoloredBang effect and forms a small high point of the film. Against appearances of prominent one (z stand. B. Guest star in series), which are in particular called.
Table of contents
Origin of the word
the English word „Cameo “(too German: Gemme) designates a noble or a half jewel, which is verziert with a raised relief picture. „Raised “means here that the picture is higher than its environment, because the picture was not engraved on the stone, but the background.The designation „Cameo “in the film is suggest that the surprising appearance from the film stands out like the picture of a Gemme.
father of all Cameo appearances was without a doubt Alfred Hitchcock. The original reason for Hitchcocks of appearances was appropriate nature: Since in someScenes of his first films Statisten were missing, mixed it with parts of the film crew under the missing quantity. From the emergency at the beginning a tradition, which became for Hitchcock in the course of the years an annoying obligation, became later: There the public less and less on the actionits appearance respected directly at the beginning of the film was usually carried out - as rather Hitchcock lurked, and the public could concentrate the film.
- in the film invisible third as a Passant, who misses a bus.
- in Marnie as a Hotelgast when leavinga room.
- in Topas as a flight passenger, who rises from a wheelchair.
- in always annoyance with Harry as a Passant behind a parking sedan (in that scene, to which the later picture buyer is introduced).
- into the window to the yard as servants in the apartment of the composer, thusin the dwelling up right of James Stewarts dwelling.
- in over the roofs of Nice as a passenger in the bus, beside John Robie sitting (here because of its view very much?? frappant??).
- into the birds as a customer of an animal action, which it leaves from two angeleinten dogs pulled.
- in It , from the inside of Marions office, visibly stands for Psycho on the road and carries a hat.
- in Frenzy it is the only one in the quantity, which the speaker does not applaudiert.
- in family grave, one sees its silhouette behind the frosted glass disk of a Türe to its last filmwith the label: “Registration department for births and deaths”.
- in with call murder it appears in the photo of the closing ceremony of the Cambridge college, where it sits at the same table with Swan.
- into the life raft Hitchcock has the most original appearance: There this film exclusively in a small life rafton the sea, he plays could appear impossible as a Passant. He is to be finally seen on a newspaper photo in the profile as a Werbefigur for a Diät.
- in the torn up curtain is to be seen Hitchcock as a Hotelgast, who maintains a baby.
onethe three different Cameos can divide Statist “,” Komparse “and” actor “into the roles “. They stand out only by their Prominenz against these roles, in addition them pre not in and remove called - otherwise there is guest appearances.
after Hitchcocks model mixed in later years of directors, producers and authors among the Statisten of their films - however no more from necessity, to maintain but around the public - and also, in order to satisfy the own vanity.
„The classical “Statisten Cameo: ThatCameo fulfills the role of a Statisten. It is located in a large crowd or runs briefly by the picture. It does not put on it to be recognized and plays no individual role. The main criterion: The Statist acts in the quantity together with others. Usuallythere is directors, authors or producers, who select this short and inconspicuous appearance in „their “film.
- In the first part of the gentleman the ring Mr. the master of the rings: The companions is director Peter Jackson in Bree to be seen short, how he bites heartful into a carrot. Besideshang in the house of Bilbo Beutlin two paintings of its ancestors, on whom Jackson and his Mrs. Walsh are to be seen.
- In the second part to the gentleman the ring Mr. the of two towers Peter Jackson fights as Speerkämpfer against in horn castle of penetrating Uruk shark. In the scene in Edoras, inwhich Legolas and Gimli drink around the bet, one sees the composers of the films, Howard shore as one of the celebrating men rawto.
- In the third part of the gentleman the ring Mr. the return of the king Peter Jackson is also still on a Korsaren - ship as part of the crew toorecognize. (It is that, by Legolas' the arrow dies)
- in Heavenly Creatures is to be seen to director Peter Jackson as heruntergekommener beggars before the cinema, that the two Hauptdarstellerinnen anrempeln.
- In star Wars: Episode III - The revenge of the Sith stands the star Wars inventor and - for director George Lucas with full beard, blue made up and with a Turban on the head indifferently in an opera entrance hall (left contour).
- With James bond is a producer Michael G. Wilson a regular customer. In each bond film since 1979 it has a short appearance.
- In Harold and Maude (1971)there is an amusing scene, with which a bear tiger man with eyeglasses with thick Gläsern on a fair regards a model railway. It is a director, Hal Ashby (gest. 1988).
- In Enigma - thatSecret (2001) is to be seen to producer Mick Jagger as a Statist on a Tanzveranstaltung.
- In Rhea M author Stephen King appears as a customer of a grumbling cash-point dispenser. (Notes: If it should in removes to be mentioned, it is not Cameo, but a Komparsenrolle). Stephen King steps into manyFilmings of its books up, however always only very briefly, although sometimes with text. In the new filming of Shining it appears for example as a priest.
- Into Unbreakable M. steps. Night Shyamalan as a baseball play visitor up, who is scanned by Bruce Willis on drugs.
- Into Signs steps M. Night Shyamalan as Ray Reddy up, which caused the deadly accident of Grahams (Mel Gibson) for wife. One sees it in several scenes, e.g. as it Mel Gibson on the extraterrestial ones in its house refers to
- in Staying Alive becomes a director Sylvester Stallone from leading actor John Travolta on the road angerempelt and turns thereby.
- Into the fat years lets itself past director is Hans wine gardner at the beginning of the film as well as other globalization opponents after a protest action in a sports article shop be ejected and from the police arrested.
- HunterS. Thompson steps briefly in the filming of its book Fear and Loathing into read Vegas in a flash back in feature.
- In volume OF Brothers consequence 5 - Crossroads (crossings) appears to Tom Hanks as a British officer.
- In the video of tributes of the group of skirts of Tenacious D Ben of quiet runsbriefly by the picture (at the “Studio” past)
- in “Welcome ton the Jungle” wishes Arnold Schwarzenegger The skirt at the beginning of film “much fun”.
also Celebrity Cameo - whereby actually all Cameos Celebrity Cameos is, because the bare Prominenz (and the absence in pre and remove) liftsit from “usual” roles.
The bare presence of the prominent one is the scene or the film with this appearance revaluations, therefore it appears usually “as it” and/or. plays itself - although in lining. Its role is exact contrary to the Statistengiven and he has sometimes even something text. Its appearance is to be noticeable and the prominent one is by the spectator to be recognized, even if its employment is “camouflaged” usually as small role. One likes increasing that this appearance produces inconspicuously and only for DVD publication“becomes discovered”.
Its role is a “special” Komparsen: Its appearance is similar, to that of a guest appearance, only that it not in pre/remove one calls. It decorates the film and its role requires it not too much off (if it for example no actor is).
Its appearance is in each case produced - a bare (or coincidental/inadvertent) Abfilmen of a prominent one and integrating into a film, one can as Paparazzo - call admission - not Cameo.
- In Beverly Hills copilot III has George Lucas a guest appearance as annoyed leisure park visitors.
- In James bond “dieon another day " Madonna than fencing teacher Verity in a short speech role arises. Their Cameo in the film is not called in the Credits, it is recruited however in the apron with its operational readiness level.
- In “full on the Nüsse - Dodgeball” meets Vince Vaughn wheel professional Lance Armstrong at that hotel bar.
- Michael Jackson in Men in Black II. Even if it has a “role”: It is to be recognized only briefly as Michael Jackson.
- In the row scene always times again prominent ones arise. So had among other things the Saarland Prime Minister Peter Müller, the Frankfurt Oberbürgermeisterin Petra Roth and the Federal Commissioner for the documents of the public security service Marianne Birthler short appearances.
- In the first part of the 80's-year classical author back into the future Huey Lewis in the role of a jury member of the volume competition, at the Marty McFly emerges (Michael J. Fox) participates. In the third part the American group of skirts ZZ Top plays with the village celebration in the Westernstadt to the dance up.
- A whole bundle of Cameos is in the film load Action Hero (1993) also To see Arnold Schwarzenegger: Tina Turner, James Belushi, Chevy Chase, MC hammer, Little smelling pool of broadcasting corporations, Robert Patrick, Maria Shriver (Schwarzeneggers woman), Sharon Stone, Jean Claude Van Damme and many different.
- Into taxi 3 Sylvester Stallone steps as a first passenger (Le Prime Minister more passager) up, that when stepping out on the question, whether he is somehow famous, says that an actor would see very similar to him.
- Likewise many Cameos are in in 80 days around the world (1956), and. A. Marlene Dietrich, Peter Lorre, Fernandel, Buster Keaton and Frank Sinatra.
- Also in Austin Powers in gold stands are in the initial sequence equal a whole row Hollywoodgrössen as Steven play mountain, Tom Cruise, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Spacey, Danny DeVito, to see or John Travolta.
- Director M. Night Shyamalan arises in nearly all of its films. It has for example at the end of the film The many situation a small role. It sits with the back to the camera, reads a newspaper and instructs the young Ranger. Only as that opens the medicine cabinet,completely briefly the face of M. is reflected. Night Shyamalan in the door glass.
- In the film Robin Hood: King of the thieves with Kevin Costner emerges in the last scene Sean Connery as a king smelling pool of broadcasting corporations lion heart . Also it not in remove called.
- A characteristic places George Lucas in the first part of Monkey Iceland : Monkey Iceland is not a film, but a computer game. Here one has to do with a Troll, which gives to recognize each other by the end of its appearance as George Lucas in lining. Due to the small dissolutionthe play is however not so easy it to recognize.
- The computer games - magazines - editors Manfred bran man (ASM) and Heinrich Lehnhardt (power Play) had 1990 an appearance as selectable play figures in star bytes tennis - computer game Tie BREAK.
- In the film Silentium author wolf Haas is first as one a priest in a service, later again, the mandatory initial at the beginning of its novels “now is already again which passed…” writing into a note book to see.
- In Welcome ton the Jungle is wished leading actor The skirt, while into a bar goes, by Arnold Schwarzenegger to much luck. A symbol-pregnant gesture to see as it were as “poor copy” of the Actionhelden.
- In Good bye, Lenin appears Jürgen bird as an advertising duck vorbeiwatschelnde behind the shelves of a supermarket, an allusion on the film the life is a building site.
an exception form the role Cameos. Contrary to the Komparsen Cameo the prominent one dresses a small, but adequateand important role. The fact that his name in pre and do not remove one does not call can have different reasons: He does not see himself as actors (directors and authors for example) or the presence of the prominent one is to represent a special surprise. The prominent one is by a role in the film scriptmerged (D. h. it does not present itself). It interacts to z. B. with the main roles or something carrying/crucial contributes to the action process.
- Jean Luc Godard quotes Hitchcocks of Cameo appearances in its masterpiece À bout de souffle (out of breath, 1959) by a its ownCameo appearance. Godard plays a Passanten, who recognizes its Protagonisten (easily of young Jean Paul Belmondo) in a key scene of the film after a newspaper search and at the police denunziert.
- In Larry Flynt - which steps naked truth to Flynt themselves, which porträtiert in the film by Woody Harrelsonbecomes, in the scene before the supreme Court as highest judges up.
- Director novel Polanski hurts Jack Nicholson in Chinatown the nose, so that the leading actor the remainder of the film with federation must run around.
- Drew Barrymore in Scream has a special Cameo appearance at the beginning of theFilm. It pre not in and removes the film called (although it has a relatively large role).
- The Regie-Assistent Victor Tourjansky has it in three following each other films of the James bond - row
- an Cameo appearance in Erin Brockovich enters Julia Robert with its son a nearly Food restaurant and by a waitress is served there - here acts overthe genuine Erin Brockovich.
- In taxi Driver has the director Martin Scorsese a short role as a crazy passenger, who tells of its Mordfantasien. That has the effect that the Protagonist Travis covers itself up with weapons.
- In Moulin Rouge! Kylie Minogue steps as GreenFairy, an illusion after Absinth Konsumation, up. It leads the Protagonisten into the famous Etablissement.
- To the rose-pink Panther transfers Clive Owen the role of secret agent 006 and help the Protagonisten thus to the heroful arrest of the Casino robbers.
- Franc Miller in Sin town center has an Cameo appearanceas a minister, who is asked by Marv in the Beichtstuhl.
- http://hitchcock.tv/cam/cameos.html - more information about the Cameos of Alfred Hitchcock