Canal de Bourgogne
the channel of Burgund (French: Canal de Bourgogne) is a channel in the French region Burgund. With its length of 242 km it connects the Yonne with the Saône and with it by further, following rivers and channels the Atlantic with the Mediterranean.
It begins the ascent with Migennes to the Yonne on a height of approx. and the crown level reaches 80 m over NN with Pouilly EN Auxois, with 376 m over NN after 150 km and the overcoming of 115 air-locks. Here the channel led by 3.333 km are enough for tunnel, the Voûte de Pouilly EN Auxois. After the descent over further 76 air-locks on a distance of 92 km the channel reaches the Saône with Saint Jean de Losne then.
Economic meaning does not have the channel today no more, it by leisure boat operators and hotel ships (converted freight punts) is nearly only used.
To table of contents
first planning for this channel go already on king to Ludwig XII. (1498 - 1515) and king Franz I. (1515 - 1547 back, it wanted a water connection between Atlantic and the Mediterranean create to let. But only in the year 1606, during the reign Heinrichs IV., (1589 - 1610) one began to plan this water way seriously. Vauban described 1696 in an appraisal the different possibilities, how one could interconnect the two seas. Further 28 years passed unused. The burgundische administration assigned engineer Joseph Abeille to 18. May 1724 to provide the plans for a water way between the Yonne and the Saône. Condition was that the vertex attitude was furnished with Pouilly EN Auxois.
The plans with a routing, which later very similar saw to the actual, finished product 1727 . Further 47 years had to offense to 1774 first pre-working between the Yonne and Tonnerre began. By the simultaneous building of the Canal you Centre under the chief engineer Emil and Gauthey the financial means were very reduced and one built first the section from Saint Jean de Losne to Dijon. This became to 14. December 1808 of its regulation hand over. During the revolution 1789 and in the reign Napoleon I. (1804 - 1815 preceded the building of far only very sluggishly. A further, 20km long section from Dijon to Pont de Pany became 1822 finished. On operation of highest engineer for the road and bridge nature, Joseph Dutens, and the general manager for the road and bridge nature, Louis Becquey, in this year also the Compagnie de l' Emprunt you was created Canal de Bourgogne, thus a corporation for publication by government loans, in order to make the completion possible of the channel.
To 28. December 1832 drove on the first Kanalschiff the vertex tunnel and reached at the 3. January 1833 Dijon. At the end of of 1843, after the completion of the five control works of Cercey, Chazilly, Grosbois, Le Tillot and Panthier for the water supply of the vertex attitude with Pouilly EN Auxois could be handed over the channel completely to its regulation. When in the year 1851 the railway line between Dijon and Laroche Migennes took up its enterprise, the economic meaning of the channel of Burgund very small, nevertheless was further technically improved the channel to 1882. Also the Freycinet standard was introduced and an additional storage reservoir on the Armançon was built.
objects of interest
Brienon sur Armançon
- a public, oval wash house, in 17. Century was built.
- The pin church Saint Loup, builds in 16. Century and restores in 18. Century.
- the splendourful Renaissance-Kirche. The decorating figures form an unusual grouping and originate from that for 15. and 16. Century. The Kirchenfenster originate likewise from that 16. Century.
- the old hospital. It was built 1293 on arrangement of the Margarete by Burgund.
- The church Saint Pierre with a square tower.
- the concluding from the Renaissance. It became in the center 16. Century built and is considered as one of the most beautiful locks in Burgund.
Argenteuil sur Armançon
Cryl sur Armançon
- the ruins of the lock from Roche away.
- the Cistercian abbey Fontenay, based 1118 of Bernhard von Clairvaux. It is one of the besterhaltenen and most well-known abbeys of the Cistercians. Of the UNESCO it was classified 1981 as world cultural heritage.
- Montbard is also the hometown of the famous Naturalisten George it Louis Leclerc de Buffon and Louis Jean Marie Daubenton.
- The park Buffon with the archaeological museum and the historical museum.
- The tower de l'Aubespin
Venarey les Laumes
- the houses and the fastened gates originate to a large extent from that 13. Century.
- In the former Benediktiner abbey with the crypt from the Karolinger - epoch is today a liquor factory, in which the famous anise de Flavigny is manufactured.
- The church sink Genest from that 13. Century
Pouilly EN Auxois
- Here is the vertex tunnel of the castle and channel.
- Capital of the Burgunds.
- air-lock dimensions: 39 x 5.10 m (Freycinet measure)
- max. one. Depth: 1.80 m
- minimum passage height: 3.40 m with normal water level (in the tunnel of Pouilly only 3.10 m).
Web on the left of
houseboat EauVive 930 in an air-lock on the channel of Burgund
houseboat EauVive of 930 with the entry into an air-lock on the channel of Burgund
houseboats on the channel of Burgund
air-lock in the channel of Burgund: empties chamber of a lock
air-lock 82 Argenteuil on the channel of Burgund, air-lock attendant house
channel of Burgund. Pénichette with Migennes
channel of Burgund, houseboats at the base in pc. Florentin
houseboat EauClaire leaves an air-lock on the channel of Burgund