Cedric Gibbons studied Students League architecture at the New York's kind and worked afterwards at its father, who was likewise an architect. it began 1915 as an assistant of Hugo Ballin with Edison Studios its film career as kind Director. it changed 1918 to Metro Goldwyn Mayer, where it remained up to its career end. 1924 it became leading kind Director of the Studios, a position which it 32 years long had. In this time it was on involved over 1500 MGM films. Its contract as leading kind Director said to him too in each film as leading kind Director to be indicated, no matter how large its participation in the film was. With these far over 1500 participation in the film it holds to today the record of all film-creative (within the nichtpornografischen range). Considerably it was involved in more than 150 films (among other things Julius Caesar). It was so influential that some its drafts even the fashion of the US-American interior arrangement affected. Cedric Gibbons is considered as the largest representative of its subject in US-American film history. Once, for the film Tarzans retaliation (Tarzan and His Mate, 1934), it took over also the direction. For some films it became active also as Production designer and set designer.
Also Gibbons family was with the film business verwoben. His brother Eliot Gibbons was a film script author, whose Mrs. Irene was as Köstünbildnerin involved in approximately 200 films (2 nominating for the OSCAR). Its niece Sandra Shaw was married with Gary Cooper.
It had a special relationship to the OSCAR. Not only that it was one of the 36 founders of the Academy OF Motion Picture kind and Sciences, which assigns the OSCAR it was also the man, who designte the OSCAR. Besides it was 37 times nominated for the OSCAR, which represents a record. 11 it could win the Trophäe.
Its 11 Oscars won it for (the years refer to the OSCAR award):
- 1930 - The bridge of San Luis Rey (The Bridge OF San Luis Rey, direction Charles Brabin)
- 1935 - the merry widow (The Merry Widow, direction Ernst Lubitsch)
- 1941 - pride and prejudice (Pride and Prejudice, direction Robert Z. Leonard)
- 1942 - blooms in the dust (bare COM into the Dust, direction Mervyn LeRoy)
- 1945 - the house of the lady Alquist (Gaslight, direction George Cukor)
- 1947 - the wilderness calls (The Yearling, direction Clarence Brown)
- 1950 - small one courageous Jo (Little Women, direction Mervyn LeRoy)
- 1952 - an American in Paris (at American in Paris, direction Vincente Minnelli)
- 1953 - city of the illusions (The bath and the Beautiful, direction Vincente Minnelli)
- 1954 - Julius Caesar (Julius Caesar, direction Joseph L. Mankiewicz)
- 1957 - hell is in me, also a handful dirt (Somebody UP There Likes ME, direction Robert meadow)
Web on the left of
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||of US-American kind Director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||23. March 1893|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dublin|
|DYING DATE||26. July 1960|