Table of contents
itto the Royal Academy OF drama TIC kind was trained in Stonyhurst and arose for the first time 1926 on the stage. It created 1937 with Erich Pommer its own film company, the Mayflower Pictures Corp. 1950 became Laughton of American citizens.
Its film debut gave it 1928 in Daydreams likewise (after H. G. Wells), in which its later wife Elsa Lanchester likewise along-played. Laughton was from 1929 to its death 1962 with the EnglishActress married (more, around its of Lanchester would however probably tolerate Homosexualität to hide). Altogether they co-operated in eleven film projects, last under the direction of Billy of savages in witness of the accusation (1957) after the piece of stage of Agatha Christie. The schauspielerische achievement Laughtons were thereby like thatoutstanding that Billy of savages commentated, “it would turn the film gladly a second time, and occupies all roles exclusively with Laughton”.
Its first co-operation with director Alexander Korda was the private life Heinrichs VIII. (1933). Followed and. A. The Tyrann (1934), Meuterei on thatBounty (1935) and rem Brandt (1936).
To William Dieterles film of the Glöckner of Notre Dame (1939) after Victor Hugo it supplied the so far best representation of the Glöckners. The film came under the edition into the cinemas that no poster and notice picture show the mask of Laughtonwas allowed.
The night of the hunter (1955), who only film, in which Laughton direction led, was a flop, applies today however with film lovers as a masterpiece. As a theatre director it had more success.
- 1932 - The house of having a horror (The old Dark House)
- 1932 - in the indication of the cross (The Sign OF the CROSSes)
- 1933 - the island of the lost souls (Iceland OF draws to Souls)
- 1933 - the private life Heinrichs VIII. (ThePrivate one would run OF Henry VIII.)
- 1934 - The Tyrann (The Barretts OF Wimpole Street)
- 1935 - a Butler in America (Ruggles OF talk Gap)
- 1935 - Meuterei on the Bounty (Mutiny on the Bounty)
- 1936 - rem Brandt (Rem Brandt)
- 1939 - reef Piraten (Jamaica Inn)
- 1939 - the Glöckner of Notre Dame (The Hunchback OF Notre Dame)
- 1944 - the ghost of Canterville (The Canterville Ghost)
- 1945 - under black flag (Captain Kidd)
- 1947 - Life of the Galilei
- 1947 - the case Paradin (The Paradine Case)
- 1948 - play with death (to The bend Clock)
- 1950 - the man of the Eiffelturm (The one on the Eiffel Tower)
- 1953 - Salome (Salome)
- 1955 - The night of the hunter (The Night OF the Hunter) (direction)
- 1957 - witness of the accusation (Witness for the Prosecution)
- 1960 - Spartacus (Spartacus)
- 1962 - storm over Washington (Advise & Consent)
- Andreas Missler: Charles Laughton. Its films - its life. Heyne, Munich 1990, ISBN 3-453-00119-2
- Elsa Lanchester: Elsa Lanchester. Herself. Pc. Martin's press, New York 1983, ISBN 0-312-24377-4
Web on the left of
| | * Literature of and over Charles Laughton inCatalog of the DDB
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||of British Filmschauspieler|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1. July 1899|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Scarborough, Great Britain|
|DYING DATE||15. December 1962|
|DYING PLACE||Hollywood, California, the USA|