|president||Lee C. Bollinger|
|place||New York, New York, the USA|
|Alumni (living persons)||approx. 265.063 (2004)|
|persons employed||approx. 9.349 (2004)|
|jährl. Household budget||2.2 billion US-$ (2004)|
|trust property||Campus environment urban the Columbia University into|
OF New York one ranks 4.5 billion US-$ ( 2004) the most renowned there among the oldest universities of the USA and is. This mechanism is older than the United States themselves. The Columbia university lies in Morningside Heights, directlynorth of the Upper west simmer, in New Yorker quarters the Manhattan.
Table of contents
the Columbia University became 1754 as King's college under royal decreeby king George II. based. It is the oldest higher school in the State of New York and the fifth oldest in the United States. Columbia is considered as one of the most outstanding universities of the world.
In July 1754 the first lecture found by Samuel Johnson (1696 - 1772) in a building, which was connected with the Trinity Church. Today lower Broadway is there in Manhattan. The lecture was held before eight students. 1767 were permitted the King's college, as the first American medical university the doctor of the medicineto lend.
The American war of independence brought 1776 a eight-year old abolition of the training activity to the school. To the first students and curators of the King's college John Jay, the first Chief Justice OF the United States, Alexander Hamilton, the first Minister of Finance of the United States belonged and Robert R. Livingston, one of the five men, who sketched the declaration of independence.
1784 were again opened the college as Columbia college. 1849 pulled the college of the park Place, in the proximity of the today's town center resound, into the 49. Road and Madison Avenue, whereit for the next fifty years remained. During the last half of the nineteenth century the Columbia college accepted the courses of a modern university. The Law School was created 1858 and the first academic lecture in the mining industry, as predecessors of the today's Fu Foundation School OF, 1864 was held for engineering and Applied Science. Barn pool of broadcasting corporations the college, which first only women was reserved, was attached at Columbia 1889. The Medical School was placed to 1891 under the patronage of the University, followed of the Teachers college 1893.
1896 were specified by the curators the new name of the college, Columbia University. At the same time pulled the Campus of the 49. Road for the 10,5 hectare of large Campus inthe Morningside Heights (of the 114. up to 120. Road, Broadway to Amsterdam Avenue west), where the university this very day is. The Campus was arranged by the well-known architects of the company McKim, Mead and White.
1902 became by the New Yorker Zeitungsmagnaten Joseph Pulitzera high sum to the university donated, in order to furnish a specialist area for journalism. 1912 opened the Graduate School OF Journalism - the only journalistic specialist area of the universities in the Ivy League. The school lends annually the Pulitzer price and the Dupont Award in the broadcast journalism.
1928 becamewith the Columbia Presbyterian Medical center the second Campus of the Columbia University into the Washington Heights (of the 165. up to 168. Road, Riverside drive to Audubon Avenue) opens.
The atomic research by the faculty members I. I. Rabi, Enrico Fermi and Polykarp Kusch placed the physical faculty into the focus of the world public into the 1940er years, after the first nuclear reactor was built and so the Manhattan project began.
In the spring 1968 protesting students kept five buildings long occupied one week. They protested to one against the building generally sport-resound in the Morningside park, the operational readiness level of officers and government officials on the Campus for recruiting of Viet Nam fighters and against the university administration. The draft for thoseSport-resounds many students and local activists had infuriated, since the building should have a smaller entrance into in the back for the public. Since most people were black in the area, the plans reminded of the hated Jim Crow - system, are called the racial segregation in the south, wherethe black ones always the rear seats in the penalties occupy as well as strictly separated schools, park, water well, restaurant, hotel and more soweiter to use had. Arranged by the university president at that time Grayson Kirk, was by force terminated the occupation of the campuses by the New Yorker police. Kirk had to withdraw however,after the students thereupon the closing ceremony boycotted.
The star of the Columbia University sank between the 1970er and 1980er years. During the 1990er the university under its president George Rupp conquered one of the top positions in the number of the prominent universities of the country back.
The university suffersstrongly under restricting by the urbane New York. The university plans at present to buy up in the course of the coming decade gradually the areas north the today's Morningside Heights campus and west Broadway and to convert it to the third Campus of the university, which however so far someProtests of the population to the consequence, living in the environment, had.
acquaintance member and graduate of the University of
- Mortimer eagle
- Paul Auster
- Hafizullah amine
- Franz Boas
- Sorrell Booke (actor)
- Konrad Emil Bloch
- James Blish
- max of Abramovitz - architect
- Warren Buffett - amerik. Investor
- Melvil Dewey (1851-1931) - librarian
- Madeleine Albright, US State Departments under Bill Clinton
- Virginia Apgar - medical faculty1933,
- Isaac Asimov
- Jacques Barzun
- Nicholas Butler, president of the University of, candidate for the office for US president 1920, won 1931 the Nobel peace prize
- Whittaker Chambers
- Homer Collyer
- Langley Collyer
- Gray Davis - jurisprudential faculty - governor OF California
- Theodosius Dobzhansky
- Abba Eban - Israeli minister of foreign affairs and Israeli Ambassadorin the UN
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, president of the University of, 34. President of the United States of America
- Crystal Eastman
- Milton Friedman
- Enrico Fermi
- Lou Gehrig, 1922 - 1925, left the university to the New York Yankees
- all Ginsberg 1948
- Ruth of baths Ginsberg - jurisprudential one Faculty
- Benjamin Graham - father of the fundamental security analysis
- Jake Gyllenhaal
- Maggie Gyllenhaal
- Roald Hoffmann
- Herman Hollerith
- Charles Evans Hughes
- Arthur Jensen
- Ernst Jaeckh - German-American journalist: 1940 professor for political science, 1948 establishment of the “Middle East of institutes” at the Columbia university.
- Jack Kerouac
- Grayson Kirk, presidentthe University of
- Stephen D. Krasner - American Politologe
- Polykarp Kusch
- Irving Langmuir
- Paul Lazarsfeld
- Ursula K. Le Guin, authoress
- Seth Low
- left Lu - jurisprudential ones/economiceconomics faculty, leader of the protest on the Tiananmen
- Frederic Macaulay - name giver of the Macaulay Duration
- Tom de Marco - author
- Isamu Noguchi - sculptors
- George Pataki - jurisprudential faculty - governor of New York
- Anna Paquin
- Mario van Peebles (actor)
- Isidor Isaac Rabi
- Hyman Rickover
- Paul Robeson
- Franklin D. Roosevelt - jurisprudential faculty 1907
- Theodore Roosevelt - jurisprudential faculty
- Ben roses - founders of Compaq
- Simon Schama - art historian
- Laura Schlessinger radio host, Lebensberaterin
- Benjamin Spock - medical faculty 1929
- David star - jurisprudential faculty, NBA Commissioner
- Claire Shipman
- Ben stone
- Julia of style
- Hunter S. Thompson
- John Kennedy Toole - writer
- Lionel Trilling
- Mark Van Doren
- Suzanne Vega
- walter Wager (US writer)
- Herman Wouk, writer
- Nobelpreise: 72 (see also Columbia Nobelpreisträger, 1906-2004)
- MacArthur Foundation Award: 20
- national Medal OF Science: 10
- national Academy OF Sciences: 32
- American Academy OF kind and Sciences: 107
Web on the left of
- official Website
- Columbia by the time (part of the side to the 250-Jahresfeier)
- Columbia Undergraduate Science journal