|of the titles of this article is ambiguous. For further meanings see Coventry (term clarifying).|
|Town center OF Coventry|
|status|| metropolitan Borough|
town center (1345)
|region||west of avoiding country|
|Zerem. County||west of avoiding country|
|surface||98.64 km ²|
|population||305,000 (2004, approx.)|
Coventry is an English industrial city with approx. 300,000 inhabitants in the west of avoiding country. Here is the traditional center of the engine industry, where also the Rolls-Royces - aircraft engine works lay. In the 50's the following automobile companies were there established: Humber, Hillman, triumph, Jaguar, etc.
Table of contents
air raid 1940
to 14. November 1940 flew Luftwaffe an attack on Coventry, which above all the Rolls-Royces lain in the city centre - Rüstungsbetriebe to the goal had. 572 humans were killed by this attack, which demanded thereby most victims of all German air raids on England. The German army guidance spoke thereafter of the “Coventrisierung “as fast, air-war-supported war guidance, which should surprise the enemy and break its resistance.
Despite the large destruction in the city the Propst at that time of the cathedral, R. called. T. Howard in a Weihnachtsmesse for the reconciliation and banishing any hate and revenge thoughts, transferred by the BBC directly from the ruins of the cathedral, up. This attitude led immediately after the war also to the first partnership between cities with Dresden, as connection of two cities drawn heavily of air raids.
After the attack from carpenter nails, which had held the medieval ceiling beams together of the cathedral, the nail cross was joined. Long time stood for the day of the consecration of the again developed Dresdener woman Mrs. a new place in the same on the altar of the new cathedral, however since the 30.Oktober 2005, found.
the ruins from that of the 14. Century coming cathedral of Coventry were received after the war as memorial place. In direct proximity the new cathedral of the city was established. To their inauguration to 30. May 1962 Benjamin Brittens was uraufgeführt Requiem. In Coventry is besides the seat of the organization “Minorities OF Europe “.
the idea of the twin cities one justified after the Second World War, when the first partnership between cities was closed world-wide between Coventry and Dresden. The partnership of these two in the war heavily destroyed cities should an indication of the reconciliation set.
- Coventry (Connecticut), United States
- Coventry (New York), United States
- Coventry (Rhode Island), United States
- Arnheim, the Netherlands
- Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
- Bologna, Italy
- Caen, France
- Cork, Ireland
- Cornwall (Ontario), Canada
- Dunaújváros, Hungary
- Galaţi, Romania
- Granby (Quebec), Canada
- Graz, Austria
- Jinan, China
- Kecskemét, Hungary
- Kingston, Jamaica
- Lidice, Czech Republic of
- Mährisch Ostrau (Ostrava), Czech Republic of
- Parkes (new South Wales), Australia
- Saint Étienne, France
- Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina
- Wolgograd, Russia
- Warsaw, Poland
- Windsor (Ontario), Canada
sons and daughters of the city
- Angela Bailey, British light athlete and Olympiateilnehmerin
- Edward Thomas Copson, British mathematician
- Clint Mansell, US-American film composer
- John Mars clay/tone, English dramatist and writer
- David Moorcroft, British athlete
- franc Whittle, English pilot, inventor and businessman
- move Dixon, famous Comedian and of songwriter You CAN send ME ton Coventry, Confidentially yours… etc.
- Lady Godiva, wife of Earl OF Mercia to protect (ride naked by the city around the population punishment)
coordinates: 52° 25 ' 12 " N, 1° 30 ' 00 " W