|of German titles:||The boat (Directors CUT)|
|length (PAL - DVD):||208 minutes|
|of source language:||German|
|age release:||FSK 12|
|film script:||Wolfgang Petersen|
|production:||Günter tubing brook|
Table of contents
of the war correspondents second lieutenant Wernerpushes in La Rochelle for the crew of the submarine U 96 under the direction of captain second lieutenant Heinrich Lehmann Willenbrock. Fast he learns the klaustrophobische tightness on board, in addition, the different crew members like leading engineer Fritz degrees (left), the first officer (1 WHERE), the 2.Awake officer (2 WHERE), radio operator Hinrich, Bootsmann Lamprecht, Pilgrim, Ario, Frensen and the machinist Johann, mentioned „the ghost “with their characteristics know.
The daily routine, which come down to a deadly boredom, is interrupted by few attacks, with which hecticness and danger prevail. High point of the whole travelthe break-through is by the strait of Gibraltar, an Ascension Day command, whatever is successful the few German ships and submarines of the German war navy due to the sea-blockade by the allied ones so far and with the U 96 is almost sunk.
thoseAction of the novel plays in the Second World War on the submarine U 96, which runs out 1941 from La Rochelle. Book home finished in the book its personal experiences as war correspondents and describes the situations of the submarine crew with large precision. The novel appeared 1973. Book home neededover 25 years, until it was psychological able to sight and to begin with the minute of the novel its diary recordings and writings from the year 1941.
by the filming of Wolfgang Petersen in the year 1981 became the boatbeyond Germany admits, what beside the collecting main probably also with the occupation has to do, which reads itself like „Who is who “modern German film history. Many of the participating actors created their break-through by this film (and. A.Heinz Hoenig, Uwe ox farmhand, January Fedder, Martin Semmelrogge). Klaus if man and harsh ore Grönemeyer were theatre actors. Otto Sander and Jürgen Prochnow were already longer in the film business well-known. Hubertus Bengsch did not only get (probably due to its negative role in the film) large roles more. It is however one the usually-busyGerman synchronous speaker (and. A. is Bengsch of the standard speakers of US actor Richard Gere).
The film music composed Klaus Doldinger. Exceptions for this do not form the song “J'attendrai” (sung of Rina Ketty) and “It's A long way for tons of Tipperary” (sung about “talk Army Chorus”), the twoon the official TRACK of sound of film are contained.
different versions of the feature the boat four versions, which differ partially substantially from each other:
The most well-known version is the so-called first cinema version of 1981. This version had an approximate duration of 2,5 hoursand is also the version, which was nominated for the OSCAR.
1985 appeared the so-called TV-version. This was sent as six-divisor on the German television and has one Spieldauer of nearly 5 hours (6x 50 min). Between the episodes there is a storyteller again and again,on the past parts looks back.
1997 appear the so-called Directors CUT version in the cinema and afterwards as DVD and are a qualitatively clearly revalued version of the first cinema version. Apart from a new synchronisation in multi-channel clay/tone with impressive Subwoofereinsatz (5.1) this version offers a good picture restoration anda running time of nearly 3.5 hours. According to the director Petersen should come this version 1981 into the cinemas. For commercial reasons was however not possible.
2004 appeared those already well-known TV-version on DVD. There is again improved clay/tone and improved picture also here. Neverthelessthe quality of the Directors CUT version is not reached. In addition the back glares and the storyteller were removed from the 1985er TV-version. The running time amounts to exactly 282 minutes. In fan circles this version applies as the ultimative boat version.
contentwise differences between novel andFilm script
if one the book reads, is noticeable many differences exactly. This list is not under any circumstances complete:
- In the book the boat runs out not of La Rochelle, but north of Saint Nazaire, another large submarine base further. Only as toward end of the enterprise the fuel scarcelybecomes, the old person considers heading for La Rochelle.
- Particularly toward end of the film (we go here from the complete TV version) to go film and book easily apart. At the end of the book there is a key scene, which lets the IWO in another light appear. Ittorpediert a correctly not identified ship. Only after the firing of the torpedo it notices to it that it concerns not an American, but Spanish ship. Spain was neutral in the Second World War, then it would have along-been to blame for unintentionally a war crime. Fortunately that is defective torpedoand reached its goal not. This scene is not contained in the film.
- Book home was nearly always present with the turning work. To most busy it the celebration scene on board. The crew celebrates a small Fete in the front nose torpedo area and a leading seaman disguises itself as a woman. ThisScene gives it in the book and book home does not commentate this scene as brilliantly turned, but as unrealistic and ridiculous.
- Similarly it evaluates the scene, in the second lieutenant Werner when photographing in the nose torpedo area by the annoyed crew with an oil rag is thrown. Book home commentates theseScene so: „In genuine it would have given a course to the crew for this action before a court-martial. A second lieutenant is on board a boat a special and respectful person. “
- Generally many dialogues are in the book different than in the film. This is natural with time reasonsexplainably. Nevertheless some more cinema-ripely one decorated. Thus book home describes in its novel that during a depth charge pursuit in the submarine absolute silence prevailed. In the film walk the crew and behaves according to book home like one „to Rasselbande without respect “.
- In the film “the old person” is the basicFigure and is never called with the name. From book home excessive quantities it is however well-known that, if book home drove on U96 always Heinrich Lehmann Willenbrock was a commander of U96. This is to that extent importantly, since “the old person” dies at the end of the film, in the book the fate “of theOld ones one leaves however open ". Since it was in the novel continuation alive, one assumes he did not die with the bomb attack. Heinrich Lehmann Willenbrock survived and died the war in the year 1986. It was even once with the turning work to “the boat”present.
- In and discharge scenes turn out surely from time and cost reasons differently. In the book the boat becomes with the out and flow of so-called. Check crushers and Flakschiffen protects. Into the novel U96 as well as a “sister Uboot” runs into the port. The other Uboot runson a mine and a U96 takes part in the salvage action, which with the flier danger into the Biskaya a daring venture was.
- Best direction: Wolfgang Petersen
- best camera: Jost Vacano
- best adapted film script: Wolfgang Petersen
- of best ones cut: Hannes Nikel
- best clay/tone: Milan boron, Trevor Pyke, Mike Le-Mare
- best clay/tone effect cut: Mike Le-Mare
special film information
One turned at many locations. Some scenes were turned in La Rochelle at the French Atlantic coast.For this the out and intake scenes count. In addition on the Bodensee one turned (external scenes), in the North Sea (storm scenes) and naturally in the Bavaria Filmstudios in Munich (all interior photographs and underwater photographs). The inside of U 96 was copied for this of Bavaria Studios detail-faithfully, the window blind is there today as one of the highlights of the Studios for visitors accessibly.
For the film even a model of the submarine on a scale 1:1 was copied. This window blind has however no drive and no interior arrangement. The only existing original of this type of submarine VIIC U 995 stands inBaltic Sea bath Laboe with Kiel. In addition a 11-meter model to see (with many external scenes) and a small 1-Meter-Modell for the underwater photographs existed. The 11-meter model borrowed itself in addition Steven play mountain for a submarine sequence in its film Indiana Jones - hunters of the lost treasure of the residents of Munich film crewout.
The actors got special editions from Petersen. They were not allowed no more in the summer into the sun, in order to prevent sun-brown. Ten days before turning beginning of the later scenes were not allowed to shave themselves it any longer. At the navy, particularly with the submarine drivers, was itusually not to shave itself during an enemy travel. This had not only practical, but also economic reasons: thus shaving soap and due to the often rough sea in the North Atlantic and in the North Sea was saved was anyway hardly possible it not to hurt itself with the razor.Besides a full beard protects the face against cold weather.
Originally the novel should be filmed in the middle of the 70's-years by an American TV-Produktionsfirma. But Petersen and book home refused, there the US version too (American) „patriotically “turned out should and more on Action were set above all clearly, howin typically American war films until today usually (one compares in addition the film U-571).
The turning work to this film lasted approximately over one year. One proceeded nearly always chronologically, up to the scenes, which played in La Rochelle (in addition also the scene belongsin the bar). These were filmed completely at the end of the turning work. The scenes inside the submarine shelter were turned contrary to the remaining harbour installation at original scenes in La Rochelle.
The final scene (bomb attack in the port) became in a Take, i.e. turned in a slide. That layparticularly at the immense costs. With the two airplanes, which one sees, it concerns French machines, which were converted specially for the film. In another scene one sees a bomber relay in the sky, whose airplanes spread out to the attack. Here it actsaround a contemporary original admission, which was in-cut into the film.
In the English linguistic area the film under the German original title was shown, which there to the discussion [le: t] (like English. boat, boot) tempts. Like that the parodistische title of the Simpsons is - consequence „bus “to understand.
at the end of of 1998 gave it first rumors that a continuation of the film was planned. However this no classical continuation should become, which ties the boat directly to the action of the film, but a filming book home of the novel the fortress (finished 1995/erschienen 1997).In this book loosely some events from the novel the boat are taken up and some well-known persons, above all the old person are contained in this book. The rumor kept itself persistent and in the year of 2000 published first articles, in that a German Produktionsgesellschaft shortlywith the turning work would begin. But none of the original actors of the boat (H. Grönemeyer and J. Prochnow) were available for the film and/or. had to participate at all interest. After some protests - among other things the film should now with small budget and unknown actorsare turned - the project at the end of of 2001 was stopped also on urge of book home. The exact film script is so far never to the public guessed/advised and in such a way gives it to today still the wildest speculations around exact film contents of the continuation. Instead a renewed novel continuation appeared alsothe title the parting.
A concrete plan is the filming of the life of book home as Biografie. In an interview, the book home gave 2002 the BR, explained themselves it ready to give its Einwiligung and participate in the film script. It becomes also herearound a pure continuation does not act, but one can assume the time during 2. World war an elementary component of these Biografie will become.
- Lothar Günther book home: The boat. ISBN 3492021751
- Lothar Günther book home: The fortress. ISBN 3442438225
- Lothar Günther book home: The parting. ISBN 3492042732
- Michael Salewski: Of the reality of the war: Analyses and controversies to book home „boat “. 2. Edition, German paperback publishing house, Frankfurt/Main 1985. ISBN 3-423-01213-7
Web on the left of
|Wikiquote: The boat - quotations|
the one - the other one (Kurzfilm) · The red flag (Kurzfilm) · I not (Kurzfilm) · I will kill you, wolf · Anna and Toto · Smog · Van of the Valk and realms · On cross put · The cityin the valley · One of us both · Hans in the luck · Four against the bank · Plan exercise · The consequence · Black and knows like days and nights · The boat · Infinite history · Enemy mine - loved enemy · Death inMirror · Into the LINE OF Fire - the second chance · Outbreak - sound lots killers · Air Force One · The storm · Troja · Poseidon