|mayor||Willem (“Wim”) Joost Deetman|
|seat of the municipality||the Hague|
| 85.65 km ²|
80.85 km ²
4.80 km ²
- population density
| 474.291 |
5738 Einwohner/km ²
coordinates: 52° 5 ′ 3 " N, 4° 19 ′ 3 " O 52° 5 ′ 3 " N, 4° 19 ′ 3 " O
|important traffic route||A4, A12, N14|
|postal zip codes||2491-2599|
the Hague /- ˈhaːx/, office-linguistically ' s-Gravenhage, dt. (become outdated) also that Hague is the seat of the government of the Netherlands and the capital of the province south Holland. Since 1831 it is residence of the king house. The Hague is with 474.291 (conditions: 1. December 2005) Inhabitants thosethird biggest city of the Netherlands. The closer city region is called Hague landing and counts 977,000 inhabitants in nine municipalities.
The city accommodates the international Court of Justice, the international criminal court, the international criminal court for former Yugoslavia and numerous further international mechanisms.
Table of contents
situation and economics
The city is part of the population centre Randstad. In direct proximity lie further important cities, about Rotterdam (20 km), suffering (15 km) or Delft (8 km).The satelite town Zoetermeer created into the 1970er to years about 10 km lie east of the Hague.
The city is rich at small and medium sized handels and industrial enterprises. It is obvious that the service sector with many offices of all kinds for a seat of the government is economic emphasis; into thatHague is this also the case.
already in the 11. Century gave it in the environment of the today's Binnenhofes a village, where the counts of Holland possessed a building, where they lived or only on the through journeystayed overnight. In the year 1248 count Wilhelm II. left. build a lock from Holland. This count, who wanted to become emperors of the holy Roman realm, died however before the lock was finished. Its son, Floris V., let make these work. Underother one the knight's hall, where now still at the Prinsjesdag, that 3. Tuesday in September, which opens queen with the reading of the speech from the throne the parliamentary meeting year officially, came at that time to conditions. After approximately 1300 “the Haghe” was already those Residence of the counts of Holland. It was up to 17. Century only fastened with earth barriers and untiefen ditches, and never received a formal municipal law. Nevertheless the population had some privileges, among other things in the area of the taxes. InYear 1560 got it a small city hall, and a stony city attachment was approved. This did not come however in time finished, in order to protect the population against the disasters of the eighty-year old war. The Hague in this epoch several marks one geplündert anddown-burned.
After 1648 the Hague residence of the governors of the republic became that filters combined the Netherlands. One period of large prosperity was started. Johann Moritz of Nassau let the Mauritshuis (now museum) build, for the yard attitude, the cabinet members and foreign state representativesgreat, very distinguished houses were established. Many are to be found by these houses between 1750 and 1900 built copies still everywhere in the city center. An advantage with the fact was the fact that the Hague no ummauerte fortress town was, and the new buildingthus no restrictions were posed. King Ludwig Bonaparte explained the Hague 1806 officially as the city. In 20. Century were added many dwellings for officials and simpler people, among them that now than “problematic” valid painter accomodation (Schilderswijk).
The city was over 300Years from war force exempts remained, as at the beginning 2. World war, to 10. May 1940, German paratroopers the city attacked. Their task was it to take the Netherlands government center “lightning-like”. This project failed because of bad planning and because of thatthere (exeptionally) sufficient military defense of the Netherlands. Only after the surrender to 15. May marched the German armed forces into the Hague. The Arthur Seyss Inquart appointed by Adolf Hitler the realm commissioner for the occupied Netherlands areas became soon thereafter in the knight's hallinstalled. The prison in the quarter Scheveningen served for the arrest of political opponents, among other things Resistance fighters. It received the surnames from those:Oranje hotel. At the 3. British bombers an air raid wanted to implement March 1945 against German administration buildings into the Hague. By oneNavigational errors met the bombs however the residential area Bezuidenhout. About 500 humans died, and 3000 houses were destroyed.
To 13. Septembers 1974 stormed members of the Japanese Red Army the French message in the city and took the Ambassadorand ten further imprisoned. With the assault the police woman Hanke Remmerswaal in the backs was shot. After payment of a ransom at a value of 300.000 US Dollar and free escort to airplane the hostages are released.
In the 1970er and 1980erYears parts of the city were profoundly modernized. Also after 1990 partially very remarkable new buildings were established, among them some Ministry offices in the proximity of the main station.
objects of interest
- Paleis Noordeinde - seat of the governmentthe royal family
- Binnenhof - medieval building complex with seat of the Netherlands government. The knight's hall forms the center.
- Mauritshuis - former house of Johan Maurits van Nassau victories, accommodates today an important collection flämischer and Dutch painting with works ofamong other thingsRem Brandt and Vermeer
- peace palace (Vredespaleis) - Neorenaissance building worth seeing (1907-1913), seat of the international Court of Justice
- municipality museum (Hague Gemeentemuseum) - with above all art from that 20. Century
- panorama Mesdag - the 1881 of Hague the painter Hendrik Willem Mesdag completed panorama.Into the 1990er years restores.
- Madurodam - a miniature city, the most important leisure facility of the city
- Gevangenpoort - former lock gate and prison, today torture museum.
- Oude Stadhuis - old city hall, builds 1561 to 1565.
- Grote Kerk/St.Jakobskerk - town church from that 14. Centurywith 100 m high, hexagonal tower.
- Escher museum (in the former palace of the queen Emma)
- Spinozahuis - house of the Netherlands philosopher Baruch Spinoza (1632 - 1677).
- Communication museum, museum voor Communicatie - interactive museum of history and technology thatCommunication.
- Rijksmuseum the Hague - important collection of French and Netherlands paintings with works of Barbizon, Corot, Rousseau, Delacroix, Maris and Israëls.
- Kloosterkerk - oldest church of the city, around 1400 establishes, until 1583 part of the Dominikanerklosters.
- National literature-scientific museum, Type character-well-informed museum
- Nieuwe Kerk - church from the 17.Jh., burial place Spinozas and the brothers de Witt.
- Catshuis - seat of the prime minister.
- Congresgebouw/NCC - largest congress building of the Netherlands.
- Haagse bad - 2 km long, magnificent park plant to the west of Huis tenBosch.
- , Scheveningen spreads several beautiful old houses and avenues over
- the city - historicalpregnant sea-health resort with historical nursing center
the Hague is because of two motorways of European importance. The A12 is the continuation outDirection Frankfurt/Main, Cologne and Ruhr district coming German motorway A 3. The A4 connects Amsterdam with Rotterdam and the Belgian metropolises Antwerp and Brussels and continues to lead from there to France, Paris.
The city possesses twolarge stations: the modern head station the Hague Centraal (main station) and the through station of Holland Spoor with historical architecture worth seeing, z. B. the “Fürstlichen waiting room”.
Into the Hague 1864 opened the first streetcar of the Netherlands. Today the net of the streetcar countsThe Hague to the largest in Europe. After large difficulties the building 2004 a new tunnel under the city centre for the streetcar were taken in enterprise.
An own airport, the large airport Schiphol does not have the Hague with Amsterdam is howeverremoves only 50 km and fast to reach. However there is with the Hague the military airfield Valkenburg, which is used for safety reasons for flights of the government and the king house.
The city is because of the German-Dutch holidays road Oranier route.
sons and daughters of the city
development of the number of inhabitants (in each case to the 1. January)
Web on the left of
|Commons: The Hague - pictures, videos and/or audio files|
- tourism portal of the city the Hague(de, nl, EN, fr, it, it)
- local administration the Hague (nl, EN)
- pictures from all quarters and epochs (nl, EN, de)
- city region Hague landing (nl, EN)
Alblasserdam | Albrandswaard | Alkene larva | Alphen aan the Rijn | Bar final right | Bergambacht | Bergschenhoek | Berkel EN Rodenrijs | Bernisse | Binnenmaas | Bleiswijk | Bodegraven | Boskoop | Brielle | Capelle aan the IJssel | Cromstrijen | Delft | The Hague | Dirksland | Dordrecht | Pour-land | Goedereede | Gorinchem | Gouda | Graafstroom | 'S-Gravendeel | Hardinxveld Giessendam | Hellevoetsluis | Hendrik Ido Ambacht | Hillegom | Jacobswoude | Katwijk | Korendijk | Crimp aan the IJssel | Leerdam | Suffer | Leiderdorp | Leidschendam Voorburg | Liemeer | Liesveld | Would let | Maassluis | Middelharnis | Midden Delfland | Moordrecht | Nederlek | Nieuw Lekkerland | Nieuwerkerk aan the IJssel | Nieuwkoop | Noordwijk | Noordwijkerhout | Oegstgeest | Oostflakkee | Oud Beijerland | Ouderkerk | Papendrecht | Pijnacker Nootdorp | Reeuwijk | Ridderkerk | Rijnsburg | Rijnwoude | Rijswijk | Rotterdam | RON castle | Schiedam | Schoonhoven | Sliedrecht | Spijkenisse | Strijen | Ter Aar | Teylingen | Valkenburg | Vlaardingen | Vlist | Voorschoten | Waddinxveen | Wassenaar | Westland | Westvoorne | Zederik | Zevenhuizen Moerkapelle | Zoetermeer | Zoeterwoude | Zwijndrecht |