The maturity examination
|of German titles:||The maturity examination|
|original title:||The Graduate|
|production country:||The USA|
|length (PAL - DVD):||105 minutes|
|of source language:||English|
|age release:||FSK 12|
|film script:||Calder Willingham, bend Henry|
|music:||Dave Grusin, Paul Simon|
|cut:||SAM O' standing|
Table of contents
Benjamin Braddock (in the film easily of Dustin Hoffman) locked and still straight only the college no conception, which vocational career it wants to hit. Around its conclusion to celebrate its parents give it in honours a party, to which also the friendly married couple the Robinsons is invited. Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft) finally asks it to drive it home. There it tries to entice it however by sudden emerging of its married man of it is diverted. Propelled by Benjamins curiosity and Mrs. Robinsons persistence develops however already soon a relationship. They meet thereby regularly in a hotel. Their handling remains nevertheless very superficial with one another - Benjamin always speaks it with “Mrs. Robinson " on and Mrs. Robinson prevents Benjamins of attempts, it better knows to learn. Benjamin describes this relationship with: “We could ourselves have vibrated just as well the hands”. On requests of its parents Benjamin goes to the daughter a little later with Elaine, from Mrs. Robinson (easily of Katherine Ross), out and falls in love with it. Mrs. Robinson tries thereupon to prevent this love and Elaine with a sportsman couples and arranges a wedding. In the dramatic high point of the film Benjamin finds out, where this wedding takes place - nevertheless it comes too late. The marriage is closed straight, the pair kisses itself. A desperate appearance Bens on the vitreous church loft changes nevertheless everything: Elaine turns it too (Mrs. Robinson: “It is too late.” - Elaine: “Not for me. ”) After short fight with the present ones Ben and Elaine from the church flee and drive in a regular bus of it.
- the film worked in several respects for conditions at that time in a revolutionary manner. Thus the first time was described public-effectively and impartial the relationship of a married woman with a younger lover.
- The first time was purposefully used in a film Popmusik, in order to transport the tendency of a scene. Of Simon and sparkle brought in sound TRACKs (with sounds OF Silence, Mrs. Robinson and Scarborough fair) became for the duo one of its largest successes.
- The film undertook the first professional product placing in form of a Alfa Romeo. Also in its financing strategy the film entered thus new ground.
- To that extent the film was a reaction to announcing social and moral pagings and thus harbinger of new Hollywood.
- This was the first large role of Dustin Hoffman, who thereafter to a Hollywood - star ascended. It received the role, because it worked very uncertainly and nervously when pronouncing, although it was already too old actually with at that time 30 years.
- In the last years the film experienced a comeback by successful theatre performances.
- In the film where the love falls down becomes the film in certain way fortgesponnen: a young woman experiences briefly before her wedding that its family represents the model for the film. Shirley MacLaine took over the role of Mrs. Robinson, Kevin Costner gives Benjamin Braddock.
- Originally Robert Redford for the role of the Benjamin Braddock was intended. It did not radiate however the necessary uncertainty out.
honors and prices
Mike Nichols received a OSCAR for the best direction. The film was nominated in addition in the categories best film, best adapted film script (Calder Willingham and bend Henry), best leading actor (Dustin Hoffman), best Hauptdarstellerin (Anne Bancroft), best camera (Robert Surtees) and best Nebendarstellerin (Katharine Ross).
The film in the categories won the BAFTA Award best direction, best film, best one cut (SAM O'Stehen), best newcomer (Dustin Hoffman) and best film script. Anne Bancroft were in addition nominated as the best Hauptdarstellerin and Katharine Ross as best Newcomerin.
Beside five golden Globes in the categories “best film”, “best direction”, “best Hauptdarstellerin” (Anne Bancroft) and “best newcomers” (Dustin Hoffman and Katharine Ross), the film received prices of the Gilden of the directors and film script authors as well as the direction price of the critic combination from New York.