Dominican Republic of
Wahlspruch: Dios, patria, libertad
|system of government||Präsidialrepublik|
|head of state||Leonel Fernández|
|surface||48,730 km ²|
|number of inhabitants||8.833.634 (conditions July2004)|
|Population density||of 181 inhabitants per km ²|
|gros domestic product/inhabitant||1,860 US-$ (2004)|
|independence||from Haiti to 27. February 1844|
|time belt||UTC -4|
|national anthem||Quisqueyanos valientes|
the Dominican Republic of (splinter: República Dominicana)an island state is and lies on the island Hispaniola east of Haiti, between the Atlantic and the Karibik. The citizens are called (according to StAGN) Dominikaner/inside. The Dominican republic is not to confound with Dominica (their citizen Domini Cmore aner/inside are called).
Table of contents
topography: By the majority gebirgig. Three mountain chains: Cordillera cent ral in the island center at the Haitian border, Cordillera Septentrional in the north and Cordillera Orientalin the east. Highest collections:Pico Duarte with 3.175 m (highest mountain of the Karibik) and Loma La Rucilla with 3.099 m, both in the Cordillera cent ral.
Climate: At the coast tropical with high air humidity, also in the winter never under approximately 15 degrees Celsius. Durchschnittstemperatur: 28 °C. The cathedral. Rep. lies in the effective range of tropical eddy towers (Hurricane). In the mountains coolly. In the mountains of the Cordillera cent ral, so in the 1,400 m over NN which was city Constanza, in the winter also temperatures under the freezing point.
Environment: Protected areas: 31.5% of the national surface.
CO2-Emission: 20,3 millionTons. Fresh water consumption: Agriculture 89%, households 10%, industry 1%.
the largest cities are: the capital Santo Domingo (2.023.029 inhabitants) in the south, Santiago de loosely Caballeros in the interior (555,904 inhabitants). Further cities over 100.000 inhabitantsLa Romana and San Pedro de Macorís are in the south, La Vega in the interior as well as Puerto Plata in the north.
the population essentially descends from early European immigrants of predominantly Spanish origin and from African slaves.Contrary to Haiti the slaves did not place the majority of the population. In the year 1790 were from 125.000 inhabitants 15,000 slaves.
- Urban population: 67%
- population growth: 1.33%
- fertility rate: 2.6 births per Mrs.
the national language is Spanish.In the Dominican republic live scarcely 2 per cent or approx. 160,000 humans of Haitian descent, which speak Haitian Kreolisch. In the northeast of the country Samaná lives a English-language minority of approximately 8,000 humans in the city. It concerns here descendantsformer slaves of the USA, which established themselves here 1824.
From the Spanish (Castellano ), spoken in Spain, the language in the Dominican republic deviates often and some expressions and idioms from the Spanish of the colonial age maintained. On the other hand is the language strongly mixes with anglo American expressions.
Resuming information in addition in the article Dominican Spanish.
Christian, predominantly catholic (80.43%), then Protestant free churches and other religious communities.
for the history of the State of “Dominican republic” see major item history of the Dominican Republic of
Präsidialrepublik. Condition of 1966 (change 1994). Obligation to vote starting from 18 J. Two-chamber parliament („Congreso Nacional “): Lower House („Cámara deDiputados “) with 149 members, senate („Senado “) with 32 members. Choice all 4 J. Step-by-step selection of the head of state all 4 J. Parties: Partido de la Liberación Dominicana (PLD), Partido Revolucionario Dominicano (PRD), Partido Reformista Social Cristiano (PRSC).
- Leonel Fernández Reyna, PLD, 57.11%,
- Hipólito Mejía Domínguez, (PRD), 33.65%,
- Eduardo Estrella, (PRSC) 8.65%,
the election turnout amounted to 71.98%.
24.500; of it 15,000 army, 5,500 Air Force and 4,000 navy. Freiwillige Dienstpflicht. Defense expenditure (at the BSP) approx. 0,7 %.
Health, social, education
health: In the larger dyes sufficient basic supply. The HIV Infektionsrate lies with approx. 4–5 %.
Social: High poverty rate, however little of communist manifesto misery. In “poverty” in accordance with the World Bank definition live approx. 10 to 15% of the population, of itThird up to half in extreme poverty. High unemployment (approx. 30%) and far spread underemployment. Many Dominikaner live on transfer payments (predominantly from the USA, in addition, from Puerto Rico and Europe), which their abroad living relativescarry out.
Education: General one Compulsory schooling, which is however not everywhere ensured. The illiterate rate is to the population with approximately 16%. Universities in Santo Domingo, Santiago de loosely Caballeros and in San Pedro de Macorís. In Santo Domingo is thoseoldest University of America.
the country is divided into nine regions (regiones): Cibao cent ral, Del Valle, Distrito Nacional, Enriquillo, Este, Norcentral, Nordeste, Noroeste and Valdesia. The regions are divided into 31 provinces (provincias) and a national district (distritonacional), the capital Santo Domingo de Guzmán covers.
The individual provinces are: Azua, Baoruco, Barahona, Dajabón, Duarte, Elías Piña, El Seibo, Espaillat, Hato Mayor, Independencia, La Altagracia, La Romana, La Vega, María Trinidad Sánchez, Monseñor Nouel, Montecristi, Monte Plata,Pedernales, Peravia, Puerto Plata, Salcedo, Samaná, Sánchez Ramírez, San Cristóbal, San José de Ocoa, San Juan de la Maguana, San Pedro de Macorís, Santiago, Santiago Rodríguez and Valverde.
see also major item provinces of the Dominican republic
- predominantly well developed road system
- no railway for the passenger traffic.
- International airports: Santo Domingo/read Américas (SDQ) loosely , Puerto Plata/La Unión (POP) , Punta Cana (PUJ) , La Romana (LRM) , Santiago de Caballeros /Cibao (STI)
- smaller airports: Barahona (BRX), Santo Domingo/Herrera (HEX), SanJuan de la Mar (SJM), Sabana de la Mar (SNX), San Isidro (ZXD)
- seas port: To La shark well Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata
see also major item economics of the Dominican Republic of
- currency: Dominican peso (RD$)
- Gross national product (BSP): 13.5 billion Euro
- growth rate of the gross inland product: 8% (2001 only 2.7%)
- inflation rate: approximately 10%
- gainful employment: Services 62%, industry 23%, agriculture of 15%
- agricultural products: Sugar, bananas, coffee, cocoa, tobacco, Vegetable, rice, Kokos
- of raw materials: Ferrous nickel, gold, silver, zinc
- industry: Food production, sugar, tobacco, iron, steel, cement
- tourism: 2,9 millions Foreign guests (2001), 2 billion Euro incomes
the Dominican republic becomes from two tothree million humans per year bereist. The tourists - due to the spatial proximity - from the USA and from Canada, in addition, from Scandinavia, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain and that originate predominantly Benelux - countries. Increasingly the tourists come also from the Eastern European countries, particularly from Hungary and Poland. One finds travelers from South American countries such as Argentina or Chile and from other parts of the world rather rare like e.g. South Africa, Australia or Japan.
In the year 2005 267,000 Germans traveled to the Dominican republic, less than in the years before according to Federal Statistical Office. The reasons lie on the one hand in the difficult economic situation in Germany, as well as in it that the Dominican republictoday no more Billigdestination is (as in the 90's), but on fastidious and betuchte customers is set.
Touristi centers particularly are in the east (Punta Cana, Bávaro), in the south (Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, La Romana) and in the north (Puerto Plata, Sosúa, Cabarete, Río San Juan) as well as on the peninsula Samaná (Terrenas, Samaná read). Individual tourism partially. also in the interior (Jarabacoa, Constanza).
public expenditures for health, education and defense
music in the Dominican Republic of
the musicin the Dominican republic is essentially coined/shaped by African and Spanish influences, as in the entire spanischsprachigen Karibik.
One finds the following music styles within the range of the popular music in the Dominican republic above all:
- Bachata is one from the Dominican one Republic of coming music direction and the pertinent dance. In Germany the music became popular in the year 2004, when the Song “Obsesión” the volumes Aventura the Charts stormed.
Exact information in the detailed article about the Bachata; from there one can toofurther articles over individual interpreters branch out.
- Merengue is a music direction originating from the Dominican republic in the 2/4-Takt and the pertinent dance.
Exact information in the detailed article about the Merengue; from there one can to further articles over individual interpretersbranch out.
- Merengue Hip Hop (also: Merengue House or Merenhouse) is a combination from traditional Merengue with Hiphop and House elements and became in the middle of the 90's also outside of the Dominican republic in the clubs of the USA and Europe popular.
DetailsInformation in the article about Merengue Hip Hop; from there one can branch out to further articles over individual interpreters.
- Reggaetón (Spanish way of writing: Reguetón) with the appropriate dance Perreo stands since beginning 21. Century particularly with the younger Dominikaner () n- as everywhere in Latin America - very high in the course. The well-known Reggaetón Produzentenduo Luny Tunes (Francisco Saldaña and. Víctor Cabrera), which produces for most of the puertorikanischen Reggaetón artists, originates from the Dominican republic.
of the Karneval in the Dominican republic, with the centers La Vega and Santo Domingo, is one of the most important culture events for thoseDominican families, which take part with full enthusiasm and honest joy in it. The karnevalistischen activities find annually around the 27. February instead of. Already before, and also afterwards, there are weeks larger and smaller karnevalistische removals generally speaking country.
international well-known and famous Dominikaner (inside) of our time is
- Félix Sánchez - 400m-Hürdenläufer (world champion 2001 and 2003, olympia winner 2004)
- Amalia Vega - measures university Universities of 2003
- Heydi Núñez Gómez - photo model and ex friend of Boris Becker
- Dionisio Soldevila- Physician, discoverer of the “dreiköpfigen Soldevila muscle “
Web on the left of
- Dominican on-line daily paper (Spanish)
- German message in Santo Domingo
- Foreign Office
- deutsprachiges on-line magazine
- Assistance within the education range in the Dominican Republic of
- portal of the Dominican Republic of
Antigua and Barbuda |
The Bahamas |
Costa Rica |
Dominican republic |
El Salvador |
Pc. Cement and Nevis |
Pc. Lucia |
Pc. Vincent and the Grenadinen |
Trinidad and Tobago
other areas: American young remote islands | Anguilla | Aruba | British young remote islands | Guadeloupe | Dock one islands | Martinique | Netherlands Antilleses | Puerto Rico | Turks and Caicosinseln
Antigua and Barbuda | Argentina | The Bahamas | Barbados | Belize | Bolivia | Brazil | Chile | Costa Rica | Dominica | Dominican republic | Ecuador | El Salvador | Grenada | Guatemala | Guyana | Haiti | Honduras | Jamaica | Canada | Colombia | (Cuba) | Mexico | Nicaragua | Panama | Paraguay | Peru | Pc. Cement and Nevis | Pc. Lucia | Pc. Vincent and the Grenadinen | Suriname | Trinidad and Tobago | Uruguay | Venezuela | United States
coordinates: 19° 0 ′ N, 70° 40 ′ W