Fried was beside Hans Magnus Enzensberger of the general agents of the political lyric poetry in Germany in the post-war period.At the same time it is considered to many as important Shakespeare - to transfer translators, that succeeded as first, the language plays of the English dramatist into German. In addition it translated several works of T.S. Eliot and Dylan Thomas. It has also a novel (“the soldier and a girl”,1960) and Kurzprosa writes.
Erich Fried interfered also practically into the policy of his time. It held lectures, participated in demonstrations and represented publicly critical left positions.
To table of contents
Erich Fried buildup in Vienna as an only child of a Jewish family. Its father Hugo was carrier and its nut/mother Nellie Grafikerin. Soon after the connection of Austria at Germany Frieds father at the consequences of a Verhörs died by the Gestapo in May1938. Thereupon E emigrierte. Fried with its nut/mother to London. During the war it pierced with casual labours as a librarian, milk chemist, factory hand, became afterwards coworker with numerous again-created magazines and worked from 1952 to 1968 as political commentator for the German service the BBC.
1944 he married Maria Marburg, briefly before the birth of his son Hans. In the same year its first poem volumes, the anti-fascist Lyriksammlung Germany appeared, in the exile publishing house of the Austrian PEN club.
1946 it separated from Maria. The divorce took place 1952. In the same year he marries Nan Spence Eichner, with which he two children, son David (* 1958) and daughter Katherine (* 1961), have. Nan left Erich Fried 1962, the marriage became 1965 divorced. 1962 came Erich Fried (official) for the first time to its escape again to Vienna. 1963 it became member of the group 47. In the summer 1965 he married Catherine bad-waves, in the autumn came its common daughter Petra to the world.
To give its work up with the BBC 1968 a period intensified literary and political commitments continuing up to its end of life followed the resolution, in particular in Germany. It carried in a multiplicitypublic appearances its lyric poetry with large political meetings, frequently in the context of the 68er-Bewegung forwards. By the unusual connection of lyric poetry and politics he represented a schillernde like also very disputed personality. Like that it was on a side the outstanding and honoured writer, receivedin addition, even , often came to 1977 a training order at the University of pouring into conflict with the public opinion, if it took openly and critically position to political topics. Fried had to defend itself and its statements even before court.
In the year 1979 it surprised throughits dear poems, which one became the most successful Lyrikbände of the German post-war period and Fried for a larger reader circle opened. 1982 attained Erich Fried again the Austrian nationality, maintained at the same time however the British nationality, which he possessed since October 1949.
- 1973 presentation of the appreciation price for literature 1972 in the palace Palffy in Vienna
- 1977 award of the international publisher price that filters (Prix internationalthe Editeurs)
- 1980 literary award of the city Vienna
- 1983 literary award of the city Bremen
- 1985 golden decoration for earnings/services to the country Vienna
- 1986 delivery of the Austrian state price for earnings/services to the Austrian culture abroad
- 1986 award the Carl of Ossietzky medal in Berlin
- 1987 delivery of the golden one Key of the city Smederevo (Yugoslavia)
- 1987 award George book he price in Darmstadt
- of the 1988 award the university Osnabrück (specialist area speaking and literature science)
- threePrayers from London, 1945
- a soldier and a girl, 1960
- realm of the stones, 1963
- warning poems, 1964
- considerations, 1964
- children and fools, 1965
- and Viet Nam and, 1966
- contestations, 1967
- the legs of the larger lies, 1969
- under Nebenfeinden, for 1970
- the liberty the mouth to open, 1972
- hear Israel, 1974
- came in such a way I under the Germans, 1977
- 100 poems without native country, 1978
- dear poems, 1979
- it is which it is, 1983 (its most well-known work)
- around clarity, 1985
- every now and theneven laughter, 1986
- Catherine Fried Boswell and peoples Kaukoreit (Hrsg.): Erich Fried. A life in pictures and stories. Car brook, Berlin 1993 (ISBN 3-8031-3585-0)
- Joseph A. Kruse (Heinrich Heine institute) (Hrsg.): One sings from the time against thoseTime: Erich Fried 1921-1988: Materials and texts to lives and work. Häusser, Darmstadt 1991 (ISBN 3-9279-0250-0)
- Gerhard lamp: I want to remember everything which one forget: Erich Fried - biography and. Work federation publishing house, Cologne 1989 (ISBN 3-7663-3092-6)
- Tilman of fire:Public controversies about Erich Fried scientific publishing house Berlin, Berlin 2003 (ISBN 3-936846-20-0)
Web on the left of
| | * Literature by and over Erich Fried in the catalog of the DDB
|Wikiquote: Erich Fried - quotations|
- entry over „Erich Fried “ in the Austria encyclopedia of AEIOU
- Erich Fried: A used poet - Textcollage
- deduction Erich Frieds in Austrian literature archives
- a selection of Fried poems in Hungarian language
- over Erich Fried
- the poems
- oneMultiplicity of Fried poems
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||Austrian, primarily poets, translators and essayist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||6. May 1921|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DYING DATE||22. November 1988|