|coat of arms||map|
|Land of the Federal Republic:||Hessen|
|district:||Werra Meissner circle|
|geographical situation:|| |
Coordinates: 51° 11 ' N, 10° 04 ' O 51° 11 ' N, 10° 04 ' O
|height:||211 m and. NN|
|surface:||63.27 km ²|
|inhabitants:||21.004 (30. June 2005)|
|Population density:||332 inhabitants for each km ²|
|postal zip codes:||37269|
|municipality key:||06 6 36 003|
|city arrangement:||7 quarters|
of the city administration:
| Upper market 22|
|mayor:||Jürgen Zick (SPD)|
Table of contents
The next hessian large city is Kassel (approx. 45 km northwest); in Lower Saxony is this Goettingen (approx. 40 km northern), approx. east the town Wanfried is appropriate for 10 km. The Thuringian Mühlhausen (approx. ) the next medium-sized town is eastern of 28 km toward the east. Toward the south the next hessian medium-sized town is bath Hersfeld.
beside the town center Eschwege consists the city of the quarters Albungen, ELT man living, Niddawitzhausen, Niederdünzebach, Niederhone,Oberdünzebach and upperhone.
its first mention finds eskinivvach in the year 974. This name comes of to an old Germanic language layer and means as much as the settlement with the ashes at the water.The emergence of the place can languagehistorical be dated thus on a time before conquest by Franconias. That was after the year 500, at the latest around 700. Still in karolingischer time here a Frankish king yard developed, for that as border attachment over the Werrafurt after Thuringia was awake.
The Ersterwähnung comes from emperors Ottos II., which leaves the king yard and the settlement of his Mrs. Theophano in a document as an inheritance. Its daughter Sophie bases around 1000 on the Cyriakusberg a canon eating pin, which was geweiht the holy Cyriakus. In 10. and 11. Century gave it here a Pfalz of the Merowinger. On this time still the holy Dionys points , the preferential holy one the Merowinger, which the Altstädterkirche is geweiht.
The place received the market rights around 1188 and municipal rights followed the year ago 1249. From this time also the bases originate into the modern times flourishing cloth and leather production. Starting from 1264 Eschwege under Heinrich I. belonged. of Hessen briefly to Hessen. Into the year 1385 drew land count Balthasar of Thuringia into the city and built 1386 oneCastle. In the year 1433 the city fell the land county Hessen. The land counts Philipp I., William IV. and Moritz removal the castle to a lock. From 1627 to 1632 it was age seat of the land count Moritz and from 1731 to 1755 residence of theLand count Christian von Hessen Rotenburg Wanfried (a Nebenlinie of the house Hessen Kassel).
The city received a railway connection in the year 1875, as the distance from Bebraafter Eschwege one built. The station Niederhone (starting from 1938 Eschwege west) was crossover of the cannon course with the Bebraer course.
After the end of the Second World War 1945 Eschwege belonged to the American zone of occupation. The American military administration arranged 1946 a DP-camp for accommodation Jewish in such a wayDisplaced mentioned person (DP). The camp, the occasional up to 3300 humans accommodated in April 1949 was dissolved.
(in each case to 31. December)
religions and denominations
already in the Middle Ages lived Jews in the city (first proof 1301). With thatPursuit in the plague time 1348/49 was destroyed the Jewish municipality. 1457 are called a “Jew lane”. 1507 are of “vicus iudaicus” the speech. The Jew lane was in the city centre between “coal market” and “new stone way”. 1580 is called 30 Jewish inhabitants in the city. To center of the18. Century took the number on 171 Jewish inhabitants too (4.9% of the total population). The Jewish families lived first almost exclusively on the cattle and trade (textiles). In 19. Developed for century numerous Jewish handels, trade and industrial companies, the one extremely great importance for the economic life thatCity had. Also in the public life an active participation of the Jewish inhabitants showed up. The municipality belonged to the Rabbinatsbezirk Niederhessen (Kassel), had however its own Kreisrabbinat. The highest number of Jewish inhabitants was reached 1885 with 549 persons. A synagog was inaugurated 1838. Their interior arrangement becamewith the Novemberpogrom 1938 completely destroyed (since 1954 the neuapostolische church of Eschwege is) in the former synagog. After 1933 is a part of the Jewish municipality members (1933: 421 persons) due to the increasing Entrechtung and the Repressalien pulled away and/or emigrated, a larger part of them inthe USA (80 persons). 1941-42 was deportiert the last about 100 Jewish inhabitants into the extermination camps. After 1945 a camp existed for Jewish KZ-survivors in the city (DP-camp under supervision of the UNRRA), but is nearly all camp passengers after establishment of the for some yearsState of Israel there emigrated. The Jewish inhabitant again living in Eschwege were however too few, in order to be able to form again a municipality in the long term.
|SPD||: 17 seats (44.8%)|
|CDU||: 12 seats (32.0%)|
|FDP||: 3 seats (8.9%)|
|FWG||: 3 seats (8.6%)|
|alliance 90/Die the Green||: Municipal authorities of the district town Eschwege|
consists 2 seats (5.7%) of 2 full-time members (mayor JürgenZick (SPD) and city treasurer Thomas large one) and 7 honorary town councillors. Of it are allotted 3 town councillors to the SPD, 2 to the CDU and 1 each to FDP and FWG.
of present mayors is Jürgen Zick (SPD), it became to 15. June 2003 with 60,6% of the voices for further six years red-elect and sat down thereby against two rival candidates through (BGM step-by-step selection 2003).
coat of arms
Blasonierung: The coat of arms of the district town Eschwege shows a silver castle with two pointed-considered towers on red reason. Betweenboth towers floats a greener branch of ash with three pinnated sheets.
For use the district town Eschwege issued a statute for the protection of the Stadtwappens.
partnerships between cities
- pc. - Mandé (France, Département you Val de Marne, since 1989)
- Mühlhausen (Thuringia, since 1989)
- Rain (Bavaria, since 1997; Since 1967) sponsorships
“Werra” of the Federal Navy, BP 26 “Eschwege” of the federal police lake and the Lufthansa airplane D-ACPH “Eschwege” [work on] exist
objects of interest [work on
- Eschweger tin figure cabinet
- to the tender
medieval town centre with closed framework land development has buildings Eschwege. Besides there are the following buildings worth seeing.
- Old part of town he or market church
- Eschweger land count lock (1386 builds, in 15. and 16 century extends)
- wedding house (urban community centre of 1578)
- school mountain (Cyriakusberg) with the Karl tower (last received building of the pin outthat 11. Century)
- Nikolaiturm (former church tower of 1455)
- Bismarck tower on the shining mountain (of 1903)
- shepherd-resounds (building of pavilions at the west slope of the shining mountain)
- former synagog, today neuapostolische church
- Werratalsee Eschwege (local recreation area)
- Sophien garden
- Botani garden
- shining mountain park
on the Werratalsee lies onein Hessen singular raincorrode-branch-strains length with 6 courses and 1500m, where for some years the Hessen championships are delivered. There are efforts to extend these to 2000m which would make Eschwege a still more important Regattaort.
On the riding site in direct proximity of the Werratalsees become annuallythe north Hessian and hessian championships in the jumping riding and Dressureiten delivered.
The Eschweger TSV is the largest Sportverein in the circle area, he consists of nine departments, among other things hand ball, table tennis, doing gymnastics, swimming and Leichtathletik are offered. Since 2005 also a cycle racing department exists.
- Johannisfestin July, usually first weekend in July; On Fridays: City celebration, Saturday: “May course” the Eschweger grades, Sundays: Fixed removal of the Eschweger grades, on Mondays: Open
- flair festival, i. fixedended. D. R. on one weekend in August
- Wurschtfest in Eschwege in September
- Eschweger of doll holidays, 1. Weekend in November
- Eschweger spring celebration
- Eschweger contactor celebration, 1. Weekend in September
- Werra-Man (Triathlonveranstaltung)
economics and infrastructure
by the city lead the federal highways B 27, B 249 and B 452. The city is because of the regional course - line R7 Goettingen -Eschwege west - Bebra - bath Hersfeld and belongs to the north Hessian traffic group .
- Eschweger monastery brewery AKE
- of public utilities Eschwege GmbH
- George Sahm GmbH & cost. Kg
- Werra round-look
- market mirror
- broadcast Meissner
beside thatfor a district town to usual offices and authorities there are the following mechanisms.
- BAD - work promotion Werra Meissner
- AWO North Hesse - circle federation Eschwege e. V
- espada (leisure time swimming pool)
- RKH regional traffic cure Hessen GmbH
- Staatl. Office for veterinarian natures and consumer protection
- Municipal library Eschwege
- TÜV Staatl. Technical monitoring Hessen GmbH
- Alexander of Humboldt school
- Anne franc school
- Vocational schools
- Brother Grimm school
- free Rudolf Steiner School Werra Meissner
- Friedrich William school
- Brothers and sisters Scholl school
- Upper stage High School
- Pestalozzischule for learning assistance
- federal police - out and advanced training center center
- people's highschool
- family education place
of sons and daughters of the city
- Christian Friedrich of Cochenhausen (1769-1839), lieutenant general and war Minister underCure prince William II. of Hessen, library founder
- G. G. Anderson one (hit singer)
- Otto Heinemann (father ehem. Federal President Gustav Heinemann)
- Rolf Hochhuth
- Hartmut wood apple (hessian Secretary of cultural affairs 1991-1999)
- Paul Westheim (art historian)
personalities, those worked locally
- the group of music of The Bates were based inEschwege
Web on the left of
- quarter ELT man living
- quarter Niederhone
- culture federation Eschwege
- information to Jewish history and to the synagog in Eschwege
- DP-camp Eschwege