|office languages||Färöisch, Danish|
|system of government||equal nation within the Kingdom of Denmark|
|Head of the government||Jóannes Eidesgaard|
|surface||1395.74 km ²|
|without cross-beams and crowds||1393.41 km ²|
|Number of inhabitants||48,354 (conditions 1. June 2005)|
|Population density||of 34.5 inhabitants per km ²|
|currency||Färöi crown, corresponds to the Danish crown|
|national anthem||Mítt alfagra country|
|Kfz characteristic||FO (formerly FR)|
the Färöer [ˈfɛːˌrøːər]/[ˈfɛːrˌøːər] - colloquially mostly „Faeroe Islands “- (färöisch: Føroyar [ˈfœɹjaɹ]/[ˈfœrjar], poetically also: Føroyaland, Danish: Færøerne - supposed: „Sheep islands “or „far islands “) are one in the Middle Ages discovered and settled Inselgruppe in North Atlantic between the British islands, Norway and Iceland. By the 18 islands , with exception of small Dimun , all are permanently inhabited.
The Färöer is, like Greenland, a equal nation within the Kingdom of Denmark, already since 1948to a large extent autonomously and have with the Løgting one of the oldest parliaments of the world. Two delegates of the Färinger (like the inhabitants of the archipelago are called) sit Kraft of law in the Danish Folketing. The Färöer is not contrary to Denmark member that European union, but with two delegated in the Nordi advice represented. Together with Iceland they form for 31 since that. August 2005 an economic union. To the British regions of the Shetlandinseln, Orkneys and Hebriden develop additional close gang of the with regard to foreign policyCo-operation.
Most important branch of trade of the 48,000 Färinger is since end 19. Century the fishery and the economy connected with it. Before it was the agriculture (export of färöischen Wollprodukten), and in the future hopes humans for oil before its coasts. Meanwhileit appears that the Färöer will be starting from 2006 the nation leading world-wide during the generation of current with wave power stations.
Table of contents
major item: Geology and geography of the Färöer
the Färöer lie on 62° northern latitude and 7° of western length in the North Atlantic between Scotland (with the Hebriden in the south, the Shetland - islandsand the Orkney in the southeast), Norway in the east and Iceland in the northwest. North the Norwegian island continues to be January Mayen in the polar sea.
the archipelago with its 18A surface of 1.395 , 74 km forms islands, 11 cross-beams and 750 crowds (together 779 islands, cross-beams and crowds) ². The Färöer is 113 kilometers long from Enniberg in the north to distal extremity mountain in the south, and from Mykineshólmur in the westto Fugloy in the east 75 kilometers wide. The fissured and often perpendicularly coastal line rising up out of the sea extends over 1,289 kilometers. The average height amounts to 300 meters over the sea. With clear view one knows the islands of the highestMountain Slættaratindur (882 m) completely grasp. With cape Enniberg possess the Färöer the highest cliff of the world (754 m), which rises up perpendicularly out of the sea. There are some higher Vorgebirge on earth still, but these are not perpendicular.
No point on the Färöern is more than 5 kilometers distant from the sea. Nearly all places of the Färöer lie at protected natural ports, in fjords and bays. The fjords are at the same time calamity for the Grindwale, see: Grindadráp. In valleysand on Hochebenen it is often swampy, and the country is pulled through with many small and larger brooks, which fall frequently as Wasserfall to valley or directly into the sea.
general one differentiates between six geographical regions.These are identical to in such a way specified sýslur (Syssel), which represent however no political regional administrative bodies, but mark today only (Danish) the police circles, which in each case a Sýslumaður (Sysselmann) manages as a police head.
- Norðoya sýsla:The most fissured landscapes and mostthe highest mountains are on the six north islands in the northeast. Those are: Kalsoy, Kunoy, Borðoy, Viðoy, Svínoy and Fugloy completely in the east of the Färöer. The north island metropolis Klaksvík on Borðoy is more important the second largest city andLocation of the fish industry.Viðareiði on Viðoy is the northernmost place of the country in the middle in a singular landscape.
- Eysturoyar sýsla: West the north islands follows Eysturoy as second largest island of the archipelago. With Streymoy together it forms the center of the Färöer.The densely populated area around Runavík is there the largest urbane settlement, followed of Fuglafjørður. For their landschaftlichen attractions are the two northern places admit Eiði and Gjógv.
- Streymoyar sýsla: The largest island Streymoy is at the same time the most densely populated with thatCapital Tórshavn as administrative and cultural center and the most important sea port of the country. The city Vestmanna at the west coast of the island is admits for the impressive bird rock (Vestmannabjørgini) further northern. Saksun and Tjørnuvík in the north are identical points of attraction such as Kirkjubøurin the south. Among the region of the Hauptinsel the pre-aged islands Nólsoy in the east, and Hestur and Koltur in the west rank.
- Vága sýsla: To the west of Streymoy is Vágar with the only airport and that far Vogelparadies on the lonely, pre-aged westIsland Mykines, which educates the western outguard of the archipelago.
- Sandoyar sýsla: South of Streymoy lies Sandoy, which has its name of the relatively rare sand beaches in this country. Among this region the small isles Skúvoy and large Dimun rank.
- Suðuroyar sýsla: Suðuroy finally forms the third biggest island of the archipelago and at the same time the southernmost part of the country. For this geographically small Dimun is counted. The cities Tvøroyri and Vágur are there the regional centers. Sumba is the southernmost municipality of the Färöer. Thosespectacular west coast on the Landweg there is particularly easily accessible.
the Färöer is years old volcanic origin and about 60 million (three times as old as Iceland). The only Thermalquelle with Fuglafjørður reminds of this time. The islands consist themselves of basalt, that in characteristic stageswith softer Tuffschichten alternates. With Tvøroyri there are interesting column basalts and also hard coal occurrences, which witness from a prähistorischen forest.
weather and climate
the weather on the Färöern are maritime, damp and extremely changeful. Thatmeant that there can be on the same day radiating sky, followed from densest fog, and often at different points on the archipelago completely differently.
Under the situation at the gulf stream comparatively mild temperatures prevail in view of that on the Färöerngeographical latitude. The average temperature in the summer amounts to 11° C, in the winter 3° C. The ports are all year round ice-free, and occasional snow in the winter remains lying in the inhabited low situations not for a long time.
Air is usually clear, and it prevailsoften a fresh wind (usually from southwest). On storm and rain one must be adjusted, but there are rarely completely rained days.
The färöische weather dominates the entire living standard of the island people. Because of the constant Wetterwechsel the Färöer carries for the surnames The country of kanska (= perhaps), which the British soldiers in the Second World War gave them: Of Iceland OF Maybe (→ Norgate, reference works down).
Färinger are admit for their love for the own car. A proverb over the own compatriots reads todaytherefore:
- For what does it need still another raincoat? It has nevertheless a car!
in the summer erblühen in many places different wild plant types, those otherwise alsoGrass bewachsenen islands an indeterminable Farbtupfer give. National flower is the yellow flowering (Mýru) Sólja, the Sumpfdotterblume (Caltha palustris). With the Føroyaskøra, the islands of a plant type gave its name to the Färöi woman Mrs. (Alchemilla faeroënsis).
the carbon films on Suðuroy under the recent basalt layers suggest that it gave here in former times forest. The Färöer is today with completely few exceptions (Tórshavner city park and few gardens) treeless and everywhere there alsoGrass bewachsen, where the mountains permit it. Because there is no forest on the Färöern, wood is a in demand imported article. One heated in former times with peat, because the driving wood was limited and for the house and boat building was needed.
to cultivated plants
- see major items: Agriculture on the Färöern
the cultivation of plants is limited to grain, hay, potatoes (since beginning 18. Century), Rhabarber, and some vegetable places in greenhouses. Fruit must be usually imported and is accordinglyexpensively.
by the isolated island situation (the next continental coast is further eastern of 500 km in Norway) certain animal species come on the Färöern by naturenot forwards: Reptiles, toads, süsswasserfische and mammals; the latter with two exceptions: The native cone seal and the Grindwal erring into the fjords. Other whales in färöischen waters avoid these fjords, like for example the Orca.
With that färöischen crescent snail (Polycera faeroensis - färöisch: Bertákna) gave the Färöer also to a species under the sea animals their names.
Only humans brought domestic animals such as sheep, cattle, horses ( the Färöerpony is its own race), dogs and cats also. It set also süsswasserfische such as Forellen and salmon in the lakesout. Besides there is a wild Vermehrung of hares, rats and mice.
There are not certain insects also: In addition, for example one remains exempted on the Färöern from the Stechmücke, must do without native bee honey. Dominance is here those Moth Hepialus humuli, which ziert since 2004 also the new 200-Kronen-Schein. (End of the 1990er) on the Färöern the wasp is new. Probably the wasps with ships were brought in by the European continent, supplied as building material for the new football stadiumbecame. It is told that the Insulaner inexperienced thereby developed general fear of the wasps. The same phenomenon emerged at the same time in Iceland.
of that approximately 48,000 inhabitants of the Färöer (16,921 private households 2004) are 98% Realm citizen, thus Färinger, Dane or Grönländer. From the place of birth one can derive the following origin of the inhabitants: On the Färöern 91.7%, in Denmark 5.8%, and in Greenland 0.3% are born. Together with some in-patriated humansplace these three groups the realm citizens.
Largest group at foreigners the Isländer with 0,4% is followed, of Norwegians and Poland with in each case 0.2%. Altogether humans from 77 different countries of the earth live, under it 15 Germans on the Färöern (2003).
From these numbers the färöischen native speakers to judge, is not possible for two reasons: First of all a great many färöische native speakers in Denmark live, and few are there born and turn in the course of the life with their parents oras adults back. Secondly there are old-established Danish families on the Färöern, which speak at home Danish.
From Altnordi coming färöische language is the smallest Germanic language. It could do itself in 20. Century as host language within all ranges implement,so that Danish has today only the character of a traffic language. The färöische language politics provide for an active new creation of terms of the modern life.
the first inhabitants of the Färöer, Irish monks lived population trend,as small groups of A SETTLERs, then a considerable population originated in, with approximately 4,000 inhabitants settled down and to in 18 by the colonization of the Wikinger. Century inside never the number of 5.000 exceeded. Around 1349/50 about half of the population diedat the plague. A further immigration wave made of Scandinavia could adjust this population decrease gradually. Only with the arising of the Hochseefischerei (and thus the independence from the difficult agriculture) and, a rapid population growth found general progress in the health servicethe Färöern instead of. Starting from end 18. Century increased tenfold the population within 200 years. Beginning of the 1990er came it to a heavy economic crisis with noticeable emigration, which turned around however in the subsequent years again to a net migration.
|31. December 1989||47,787|
|31. December 1995||43,358|
|31. December 1997||44,262|
|31. December 1998||44,817|
|31. December 1999||45,409|
|31. December 2000||46,196|
|31. December 2001||46,996|
|31. December 2002||47,704|
|31. December 2003||48,214|
|1. December 2004||48,353|
the Färöer starting from 999 by Sigmundur Brestisson were christianisiert. There Irish monks lived already before as a settlers. Almost all Färinger is Christians.84% are Evangelist member that - lutherischen national church. Approximately 7 10% are members of the brother municipalities resulted from working the Erweckungspredigers William Gibson Sloan.
Zirka 5% belong to other Christian churches: Beside the Pfingstlern with its seven churches, the Adventisten is to be called, which operates relatively large general screen end in Tórshavn a private school.
The catholic church on the Färöern finally, countstoday 130 members. Their old Franziskanerinnen - school is operated in the meantime again by the municipality Tórshavn. There are beyond that some Baha'i on the Färöern. Non--Christian religions and world views play otherwise a subordinated role. The most well-known buildings of churches are among other things those Olavskirche and the unfinished Magnuskathedrale in Kirkjubøur, the Tórshavner cathedral church, pc. Marien (catholic church in Tórshavn), the Christianskirkjan in Klaksvík, the church of Fámjin, the octagonal church in Haldarsvík and not least the two here illustrated.
To since 1992 again valid patro and matronymischen right of the use of a name see also: Färöi family names
See major items: History of the Färöer
first were probably entered the Färöer around 625 outgoing from Irish monks and settled from the place Sumba. There are archaeological certifications also inthe direct environment with distal extremity mountain, Víkarbyrgi and somewhat further north in Porkeri.
Among other things it could be proven on the basis botanischer investigations on Mykines that oats are cultivated there since this time. Here it must itself however over comparativelysmall groups of A SETTLERs acted.
major item: Wikingerzeit on the Färöern (until 1005, still in the structure)
the main immigration stepped into 9. Century throughthe Wikinger , which pulled from Norway towards the west. In accordance with the Färingersaga was called the first settler Grímur Kamban. It is to have in Funningur used.
There were two large immigration waves during the nordischen colonization: about 820-860 came refugeesfrom Norway, about 880-900 then Wikinger from Ireland and Scotland. An Icelandic joke over the Färinger (tell it in addition, ironically opposite strangers) says:
- Those are the descendants of those, which became seasick to Iceland on the way.
Andindeed: Iceland and the Färöer were settled at the same time, whereby the Färöer was on the distance to Iceland. However Färinger can counter with the fact that the north man discovered Naddoddur Iceland only by accident, because he the way toomissed the Färöern, where he wanted actually.
after the Norwegian king Olav Tryggvason 994 with the English king Aethelred be baptized could and in the year after Norway missionierte, loaded it outstanding färöischen chieftain the Sigmundur Brestisson tooitself, which bekehrt then in the year 999 on the Färöern for the acceptance of the Christianity by the färöische Thing, which ensured today's Løgting. Its gravestone on Skúvoy belongs to the most important monuments of the archipelago from that time.The successor Olavs, Olav II. Haraldsson of Norway, could implement the Christianity in Norway and also on the Färöern and in Iceland finally. But it today still becomes from the Insulanern at its day of death, which admires Ólavsøka.
Starting from 1035if the archipelago belonged politically to Norway, however a high measure of self-sufficiency could keep by the distance to central power. In the consequence the catholic bishops in Kirkjubøur were established, where itself further cultural monuments like the Magnusdom (around 1300)find, which stands on the request list to the UNESCO Weltkulturerbe. 1298 received the Färöer by the sheep letter of the Norwegian king to it „Basic Law “, which is valid in parts that external Mark management until today. (see there more details for the medieval history of the Färöer)
1380 the Färöer in the course of the personnel union of Denmark with Norway arrived under the Danish-Norwegian crown. Queen Margarethe I. it created, completely Scandinavia in its large realm to one. See also: Kalmarer union.
- major item: Fork time
1538 reached the reformation the islands. Thus the supremacy of the Danish language was perpetuated. As a darkest period for the Färöer the fork time proved in 17. Century. In this status changed also 1814 after the peaceby Kiel nothing, in whose consequence the Danish-Norwegian personnel union was dissolved and Norway a personnel union with Sweden to join had, but the Färöer as well as Iceland and Greenland with Denmark remained.
starting from 1846 resulted from working the language researcher V. And. Hammershaimb the neufäröische writing language on etymologischer basis. Up to then Färöi became verbally into that own Balladen delivers. Hammershaimb and its successors justified the färöische literature and opened old language monuments.
After itself already at the beginning 19. Century the national hero Nólsoyar Páll had revolted, 1856 the royally Danish trade monopoly over the Färöer was waived. On that Weihnachtstreffen of the Färöer 1888 assembled the national movement in the fight for the own language and national independence. First the national movement was rather culturally aligned, but after the establishment of the first färöischen political parties 1906 and with speak-ride 1909-1938 became political it.
second world war and autonomy
Major item: Färöer in the Second World War
in the Second World War became the Färöer outtactical reasons to 12. April 1940 of Great Britain occupies, in order to forestall Germany. The British built not only the airport Vágar, separate them expanded the autonomy of the Løgtings , so that the Färinger 1946 for the overcoming of the constitutional crisis a popular voteover their full sovereignty , and also during an election turnout of 66,4% with limited majority (48.7% to 47.2%) for it discussions accomplished themselves. Denmark refused that, stepped however into negotiations, so that the islands with the autonomy law of 1948large Selbstständigkeit enjoy.
When Denmark joined 1972 of the European community, the Färöer refused this step. This status applies until today.
Starting from 1035 in the possession of Norway, the islands were connected since 1380 by the Danish-Norwegian personnel union politically with Denmark. After the peace of Kiel 1814 they remain then in the Kingdom of Denmark and are beside Greenland until today a partthe realm.
A high measure of self-determination within the kingdom is since the law over the internal autonomy to 31. March 1948 reaches. There are however influential groups, which aim at a complete solution of Denmark. The balance of power in the färöischen party spectrumbetween separatist republicans and per-Danish (pragmatically oriented) groups is relatively balanced. Coalitions in the färöischen federal state government and the Løgting with both wings are normal.
NATO operates radar - an early warning station, which belongs approximately to the net of the early warning systems around the northern polar circle with Mjørkadalur. The Färöer does not have an own army,and the citizens are not subject to the Danish military service. On the other hand several Färinger than occupation soldiers serve with Danish armed forces. A young Färinger is for example in the body guard of the Danish queen busy.
the Färöer leads own flying a flag and is considered as nation within the Kingdom of Denmark with own outside and security politics since that 29. March 2005. Already for January the Färöer maintains 2002a diplomatic agency in London. This is formal a department of the there Danish message. The envoy of the Färöer in London is at the same time a representative at the international sea-going vessel travel organization, an UN-institution with seat in London, their associated member the Färöerare. The Färöer already before possessed own agencies in Brussels at the European Union and in Copenhagen at the Nordi advice.
To the Ólavsøka Eidesgaard announced 2005 that the Färöer of the European Free trade Association wants to join. An appropriate request the autonomy government wants to already place to 2006, whereby it is questionable whether Denmark agrees. The EFTA membership would bring some advantagesin the fishery, since you also Iceland and Norway belong to neighbour states.
non-application of the European Union condition
by the non-member shank of the Färöer in the European Union becomes in October 2004 the decided contract over the European Union condition also after the anyDo not find the entry into force at the end of of 2006 for the Färöer an application (articles IV-440, paragraph 6, letter A).
Further Danish citizens, who have their domicile on the Färöern, will be accordingly so long no union citizens, until the Färöer decides, the European Union to step (minutes8, article 7).
the färöische section of Amnesty international with approximately 1,200 members is important. It was created 1965 and belonged to the oldest Amnesty groups on the world.
the Färöer were divided into 34 municipalities.
1896 became with the steam ship Smiril the first regular transport service between the färöischen islands furnished. 1918 developed the first road on the Färöern, which interconnected two places: Skopun and Sandur on Sandoy.
Most important international turntable of the Färöer are the port of Tórshavn with thatCar ferry Norröna and the airport Vágar with the native airline Atlantic Airways. Both traffic centers are connected since 2002 by the Vágartunnel, which shortens the running time with the car on one hour.
as seafaring nation has the Färöer six lighthouses and his own Fischereiflotte. Most färöischen ships come of to domestic production, and they specifyinternational waters since 1940 the flag of the Färöer. The merchant fleet has 7 ships.
The road system of the Färöer is almost completely asphalted andconnects all regions, which lie on islands since 2004, where there is more than only one place. Altogether so far 463 kilometers of highway were built; the longest is the road 10 and leads from the capital Tórshavn on Streymoy after Toftir on Eysturoy. In addition about 500 kilometers come within the localities. Car ferries connect those islands, where no dams, bridges or tunnel exist, but several places with their own road system lie.
the largestRegional ferry is the Smyril.
2002 was over 22.000 Kfz on the Färöern certified, among them more than 16,000 passenger cars, which corresponds rather exactly to one passenger car per household.
In Tórshavn operate city penalty, which are to be recognized by the red color, duringthe cross-country penalty are blue painted. Where neither penalty nor ferries drive, the helicopter flies (see: Airport Vágar). The route network of the Färöer can on the Website of the national transport enterprise Strandfaraskip landin be seen.
those approximately17.000 households on the Färöern had at the end of of 2002 more than 11,000 Internet entrances. At the end of of 2004 gives it approx. 24,000 fixed mains connections and 36,000 mobile telephones. Thus 80% all inhabitant a mobile phone have.
1905 became the first voice grade channel on thatFäröern establishes.Ólavi á Heygum from Vestmanna made so the connection of its place with the capital Tórshavn . Already in the year after the Løgting transferred this line. The national Telefongesellschaft received the name Telefonverk Føroya Løgtings. 1930 was allPlaces of the Färöer attached to the telephone network. After Suðuroy first however only one radio link with the remainder of the country existed. 1953 got Tórshavn the Selbstwahl, which was then introduced until 1978 country-wide. Starting from 1954 a radio link with Denmark existed. 1971the submarine cable followed to the Shetland islands.
Since 1998 the telephone network is digitized completely and it exists a surface covering GSM - to net for the Mobiltelefonie. There is a satellite reception station and an optical waveguide cable to the Shetland islands, of where from the Färöerare connected with Denmark and Iceland, as section of the submarine cable from Europe to Canada.
Beside the former monopolist Tele Føroya gives it since 1999 the competitor to Kall as a telecommunications offerer. Tele Føroya has Roaming - agreements with T-mobile, Vodafone, E-pluses and CO2, while Kall cooperates so far only with CO2.
the fishery like for example here, the pisciculture (usually salmon) and the tourism. A further factor in the export are the shipyards and the stamps of the Postverk Føroya. The fishery economy dominates with approximately 98% portion of the volume of exports. The CD label Tutl and thatWollmodehersteller Sirri are prominent in their respective international market gaps.
The import amounted to 2004 3,733, 5 million crowns. The most important import nations are Denmark, Germany and Norway. The export amounted to 3,668, 1 million crowns. Here state Denmark, Great Britain and Spain the statistics.
- see major items: Färöi fishery economy
the fishing zone of the Färöer amounts to 200 nautical miles. From here the largest portion of the färöischen catch comes. The situation is similar with the neighbour Iceland in its waters.Both nations permit only limited rights to foreign fishing fleets - with mutual exception of Iceland and the Färöer.
Over 100.000 tons fish are produced annually. 2003 was it 132,000 tons in the value of 1.2 billion crowns. Generally speaking country gives it to fish factories.
Apart from the Hochseefischerei there is the Küstenfischerei in the typical Färöboot, for which special equipment to the linen fishery, which is used Snella - a färöische High carouse invention, which is also exported.
search for oil
in May 2004 found on thatIslands the first international congress of geologist of the Färöer instead of, which itself among other things with the development under the sea oil fields present busy. Oil is considered as large future hope to the färöische economy.
- see major items: Agriculture uponly
a subordinated role plays the Färöern the traditional sheep breed (70,000 animals) in the export, while färöische Wollprodukte enjoys traditionally a good reputation. Sheep meat stands on the domestic bill of fare far above, and half must be imported today.
Beside the sheepcows, chickens and geese are held. Accordingly the Färöer produces own dairy products and eggs for the native market.
the disputed Grindwalfang does not become commercial from the Färingern, but when pure Subsistenzwirtschaft operated. Between 2001 and 200326 Grindwalschulen with altogether 2,047 animals were killed.
the number of the overnight accomodation in the hotels and guesthouses was 2003 as follows: 24.405 came from the inland (27.1%), followed from Denmark 31,571, from Norway (11.104), Iceland(5.253), Great Britain and Ireland (4.820) and Germany (4.149).
See also: Tourism on the Färöern
standard of living
the economic growth amounted to 2003 4.9%, and unemployment was in December 2005 about 3,8%. That is a lighter decreasein relation to the previous year.
The Färöer has one as exemplary regarded welfare state. The average standard of living is just as high as the education level of the inhabitants. As fixed in the tariff hourly wages 2004 were:
- Worker 112.52 crowns
- craftsman 129.93 crowns
- office worker 137.63 crowns
- an official 175.44 crowns
To center of the 1980er there were years here full employment. End of the 1980er and at the beginning of the 1990er experienced the Färöer an economic crisis. Heavy accusations were raised against the Danish state, but many mine that itself the Färöer by ambitious building projectslifted have.
The cost of living moves on Scandinavian level. The university of the Färöer recommends for 2005 a daily budget for food supply of 100 crowns to foreign students (zzgl. Accommodation), which corresponds to approximately 16 euro. Herein contained are however no means of transport, cultural events,Catering trade attendance or books, which would like themselves to perhaps carry most visitors out. A daily rate of 200 crowns (zzgl. Accommodation) is realistic therefore for tourists.
cultureculture nation within the nordischen world. Cultural center is the capital Tórshavn, and the salient house of the north ( Norðurlandahúsið) there as the most important place of event of the country.
chain dance andAlone
there Balladen the färöische chain dance with the old Balladen spoken in addition ( for example the färöischen Sigurdlieder) are a cultural property of first rank and are located in Europe. No other country could save medieval customs in such a manner authentically into the modern trend.
Those färöische language had completely disappeared since the reformation as writing language and could survive only by the Balladen. The färöische chain dance takes place by no means only to folkloristischen presentations, but is a firm component of the everyday culture of our time.
thoseFäröer have their own symphony orchestra, a well-known choir (Havnarkorið) and a very alive music scene in all sections, whereby some färöische musicians fall back to their national inheritance of the Balladen and so that own ways can go. The most well-known contemporaryfäröischen composer is Sunleif racing having, Kristian Blak, Atli Petersen, EDP pool of broadcasting corporations Nyholm Debess and Heðin Meitil. See also: Would list färöischer composers of classical music.
For example recent talents enjoy of special popularity such as Eivør (Eivør Pálsdóttir), Guðrun(Guðrun Sólja Jacobsen), Lena (Lena Anderssen one), Teitur (Teitur leaving), Høgni reading mountain and Brandur (Brandur Enni), or the Klassikerin Annika Hoydal.
major item: Färöi literature (in the structure)
under the creation of the neufäröischen writing language by Hammershaimb developed the färöische literature. The world-wide most well-known färöische writer is William Heinesen, which wrote however on Danish. Thata first färöischsprachige writer, which was translated into many world languages, was Heinesens good friend Heðin Brú. The seal of the Janus Djurhuus became style-coining/shaping for most its successor, during its younger brother Hans A. Djurhuus by its child songs in the everyday lifeall today's generations continues to live.Súsanna Helena Patursson justified the woman literature of the Färöer. Malan Marnersdóttir is today the prominent Literaturwissenschaftlerin of the country.
Färöi screen end art
major item: Färöi screen end art
the färöische screen end art originated in only in 20. Century due to the national arousing movement. As a most important färöischer painter and “father of the färöischen painting” is considered at the same time to Sámal Mikines (1906-1979), its temporary life companion and wife Elinborg Lützen (1919-1995) asfirst and most important Grafikerin of the islands is regarded.Ruth Smiths (1913-1958) self haven advice are ranked among the most precious paintings of the country. To the largest contemporary artists Ingálvur belong av to Reyni (1920-2005), which represent Copenhagen since 2004 also in the important national art museumis, and Zacharias Heinesen (*1936), from which among other things a work in Germany found its homeland: The altarpiece of the Danish church of Husum (Nordfriesland). Most well-known sculptor of the country is Janus Kamban (*1913). The painter Bárður Jákupsson (*1943) is thatprominent author over färöische art.
The art museum of the Färöer, Listasavn Føroya, accommodates the largest collection of färöischer artists.
the färöische training system is on high, Scandinavian level. The university of the Färöer offers beside färöischer speaking andLiterature science also natural sciences and historical and society science on. There is also an educational and a fishery university. The people's highschool of the Färöer plays a outstanding role in the history of the country likewise, like in the today's everyday life of the population. The federal state library of the Färöerthe backbone of the entire today's bibliography of the Färöern and over the Färöer forms.
- Astrid Andreasen (* 1948) - textile artist and Meeresforscherin
- Heidi Andreasen (* 1985) - swimmer in the obstruction sport
- Magdalena Andersdatter one (approx. 1590-1650) - Kauffrau andPeople heroine
- Thomas bad one (1942-1978) - painter
- Andrea Árting (1891-1988) - trade union guide
- Kristian Blak (* 1947) - composer and musician
- Sigmundur Brestisson (approx. 961-1005) - Wikingerhäuptling, Missionar
- Beinta Broberg (1667-1752) - famous as novel figure Barbara.
- Jonas Broncks - emigrant, is enoughTime of assumed name givers of the Bronx in New York (the USA)
- Heðin Brú (1901-1987) - writer
- Jacob Dahl (1878-1944) - Propst and Bible translator
- Johan Dalsgaard (* 1966) - entertainers, musicians, actors and party founders (Stuttligi flock urine, 2004)
- Helena Dam á Neystabø (*1955) - Politician
- Steffan Danielsen (1922-1976) - painter
- Victor Danielsen (1894-1961) - Missionar of the Plymouth Brüdergemeinde and Bible translator
- Marianna Debes Dahl (* 1947) - authoress
- EDP pool of broadcasting corporations Nyholm Debess - composer
- Hans Andrias Djurhuus (1883-1951) - writer
- Janus Djurhuus (1881-1948) - writers
- Jóannes Eidesgaard (* 1951) - politician, head of the government since 2004
- Brandur Enni (* 1989) - Popstar
- Hildigunn Eyðfinnsdóttir (* 1975) - actress
- Niels R. Finsen (1860-1904) - medicine Nobelpreisträger 1903
- Edward Fuglø (* 1963) - commercial artists
- Sigri Mitra Gaïni (* 1975)- Actress and Dichterin
- Liffa Gregoriussen (1904-1992) - Modeschöpferin
- Absalom Hansen, landscape photographer, marathoner (Tórshavn)
- Hans Hansen (1920-1970) - painter
- Jetta Hansen (1890-1962) - Pionierin of the färöischen KFUK (CVJM)
- V. And. Hammershaimb - creators of the modern färöischen writing language starting from 1846
- William Heinesen - writers, poets, painters and commercial artists
- Zacharias Heinesen (* 1936) - painter
- Jona Henriksen (* 1924) - politician
- Ebba Hentze (* 1930) - authoress
- Nicolina Højgaard Simonsen (1901-1995) - children's home chief
- Annika Hoydal (* 1945) - singer,Actress, Komponistin
- Høgni Hoydal (* 1966) - politician
- Elgerda Jacobsen (1905-1991) - first head mistress of the country, late Schulinspektorin
- Guðrun Sólja Jacobsen (* 1982) - singer
- Jørgen Frantz Jacobsen (1900-1938) - writer
- Jakob Jakobsen (1864-1918) - language researcher
- Bárður Jákupsson (* 1943) -Painter, author over färöische art
- Hanna Joensen (* 1931) - Frauenrechtlerin
- Laura Joensen (* 1946) - actress
- Poul F. Joensen (1898-1970) - poet
- Grímur Kamban - first settler at the beginning of the nordischen colonization around 800
- Janus Kamban (* 1913) -Sculptor and commercial artist
- Karin Kjølbro (* 1944) - politician
- Jens Martin Knudsen, legendary goal keeper of the färöischen national soccer team, three-way national master in doing gymnastics, hand ball national goalkeeper (Saltangará, * 1967)
- Ernst Krenn Gjógv (1897-1954) - Austrian Faroist (actually only Ernst Krenn)
- Henrik Larsen (* 1966)- Coach of the national soccer team
- Rikard Long (1889-1977) - literary critics and writer
- Elinborg Lützen (1919-1995) - Grafikerin
- Malan Marnersdóttir (* 1952) - Literaturwissenschaftlerin
- Christian Matras (1900-1988) - professor of the linguistics and writer
- Heðin Meitil - composer
- Sámal Joensen Mikines (1906-1979) - painter
- Marie Mikkelsen (1877-1956) - translator
- Øssur Mohr (* 1961) - painter
- Johanne Mortensen (1865-1930) - Pädagogin, first selected politician on the Färöern
- Ebba Mueller (1891-1967) - Reederin
- Poul Poulsen Nolsøe (1766-1809) - national hero
- Katrin Ottarsdóttir (* 1957) - Filmemacherin
- Eivør Pálsdóttir (* 1983) - singer and actress
- Jóannes Patursson (1866-1946) - poets and politician
- Súsanna Helena Patursson (1864-1916) - authoress
- Sverri Patursson (1871-1960) - writer
- Tróndur Patursson (* 1944) - sculptors
- Atli Petersen (* 1963) - composer
- anchor EliPetersen (* 1959) - commercial artists
- Karoline Petersen (* 1924) - politician
- Lisbeth Petersen (* 1939) - politician
- Marita Petersen (1940-2001) - Politkerin, first government boss on the Färöern
- Jóngerð Purkhús (* 1937) - politician
- Sunleif racing having (* 1961) - composer
- Ingálvurav Reyni (* 1920) - painter
- Hanni Bjartalið (* 1968) - painter
- Malla Samuelsen (1909-1997) - politician
- Sigrid av Skarði Joensen (1908-1975) - Publizistin
- Czesław Słania (1921-2005) - Polish stamp engraver (100 expenditures for the Färöer)
- William Gibson Sloan (1838-1914) -Scottish Erweckungsprediger on the Färöern
- Ruth Smith (1913-1958) - painter and Grafikerin
- Sverre Sigurdsson (1149? - 1202) - Norwegian king
- Johanna Maria Skylv Hansen (1877-1974) - authoress
- Kári Sverrisson, skirt and jazz musician, picking up vein that skirt volume „Ennek “(Saltangará)
- Kristian Osvald Viderø (1906-1988)- To Vikar, poets and Bible translators
- Inge-borrow Vinter (* 1945) - politician, Gewerkschafterin
radio and television
the Färöer have 13 UKW and a medium-wave transmitter. There are three television stations with 43 smaller Verstärkerstationen. Thus can the Färinger since 1985 Sjónvarp Føroya (SVF) receive.
Since October 2002 there is on the Färöern DVB-T - as first country in Northern Europe. In the meantime 27 foreign transmitters can be received in such a way over Televarpið beside SVF. A second färöischer television channel is in planning.
The radio program of Útvarp Føroya (UF) is radiated there not only on UKW (and once the week also over medium wave in Denmark), but daily live in the Internet. The private station Rás 2 sends likewise with a Livestream in the Internet.
newspapers and new portals
the three most important newspapers of the Färöer are Dimmalætting and Sosialurin from the capital Tórshavn and the weekly paper Norðlýsið from the north islands - metropolis Klaksvík. While the first mentioned ones reproach their complete expenditures for Internet only for subscribers,the Norðlýsið can be read by everyone, who understands the language, or simply only about pictures to enjoy would like. The färöische radio offers also weekly prepared text messages on English on beside the Livestream (see below with Web on the left of).
Most important new portal in the Internet is portal.fo.
Over 13.000 Färinger as active ones in their sport associations are counted. Beside football and rudders enjoy on the Färöernabove all the kinds of resounding haven hand ball, Volleyball and swimming of large popularity. Organized association sport is operated beyond that in the following disciplines: Do gymnastics, bath min clay/tone, horse running, table tennis, Leichtathletik and Judo (in each case over 100 active ones). The Färöer strives overthe admission of the IOC, however so far only to the paralympicses began (olympic land contraction: FRO).
traditional national sport on the Färöern is that rudders in the typical Färöboot. Annual highlight are those rain corroding to28. July to the Ólavsøka in Tórshavn. At these locking Regatta the rudder season the national masters in six classes are determined.
See major items: färöischer rudder haven
To 13. May 1892 was created on the Färöern with the TB Tvøroyri the first soccer association. 1904 followed HB Tórshavn and KÍ Klaksvík as to today most successful associations and eternal rivals. Since 1988 the Färöer is member of the UEFA and FIFA (FIFA contraction: FRO). Each larger place has a football field. Since historical 1:0 over Austria 1990 the Färöer among the European football fans is well-known. With the qualification to the EURO 2004 were the Färoer with Germany in a group.Into Hanover the German crew went into the 2. Minute by Foulelfmeter by Ballack in guidance, in the 45. Minute adjusted the island state however. Klose brought the Germans finally with 2:1 in guidance (59. Minute) and retained at that timeVice-world champion before a century failure. With the Färingern one won the gates with 2:0, by Klose and Bobic fell however only in the 89. and 90. Minute.
See major items: färöischer football
With the paralympicses in Seoul 1988 the four swimmers of the Färöer could fight for sieved medals: among them one in gold - of altogether 12 possible. Christina Næss placed thereby one at the same timeWorld record over 100 meters back swimming in the class C3 up and got silver over 400 meters freestyle. With the paralympicses 1992 in Barcelona Tóra could tie við Keldu to its own successes of Seoul and once again silver on that100 meters freestyle get. The Medaillienspiegel of Sydney 2000 points again 4 medals for the Färöer out everything of the färöischen swimming star Heidi Andreasen won. It became 2002 with the choice the Weltsportlerin of the yearly with handicap second.
Chess has here centuries an old tradition, and already early authors wrote over the talents of the local players, those to full acknowledgmenttheir figures in affectionate way carved and them own names gave. The national chess championships have just as high value as in Iceland. Momentary large talent is the young player Helgi Ziska, to 6. March 2006 the Netherlands large master andWM-Finalisten 1993 January Timman defeated.
major item: Bibliography to the Färöern
- Carl Julian of Graba: Diary, led on a journey after Farö in the year 1828, Perthes and good, Hamburg 1830
- new edition: Wolfgang Butt, Kiel 1993, ISBN 3926099267 (under the author name: Carl Julian Graba, 244 sides)
- Samuel Rathbone, E. H. Greig: A Narrative OF the Cruise OF the yacht Maria among the Faroe Iceland inthe buzzers OF 1854, England 1855 (illustrates with lithographies; at that time anonymous) journey
- with the yacht appeared Maria 1854 to the Färöern. German translation 2004 on Wikisource
- Ernst Krenn: Föroyar. The islands of the peace, Regensberg publishing house, Münster(Westf.) about 1942
- Sydney Norgate: “Kanska” or the country OF Maybe, H. N. Jacobsens Bókahandil, Tórshavn 1943 (14 sides)
- a German translation “Kanska” or the country “perhaps” appeared in TJALDUR, news sheet of the DFF number 30, 2003, S.31-37
- JohnF. West: Faroe. The Emergence OF A nation, C. Hurst & company, London and Paul S. Eriksson, New York 1972 ISBN 0-8397-2063-7
- live Kjørsvík Schei and Gunnie mobilization suppl., illustrates from Tróndur Patursson: The Faroe Iceland, JohnMurray, London 1991 ISBN 0719550092 (248 S.)
- new edition with additional chapter: Birlinn, Edinburgh 2003 ISBN 1841582425
- Sabine Gorsemann: The Färöer - island world in the North Atlantic, DuMont Buchverlag, Cologne 1990, ISBN 3770121759
- new edition with Christian emperor: 1999 ISBN 377014371X
- Alexander guard: Färöereven discover, edition moose, 2002 ISBN 3858621552 (travel guides with emphasis moving routes)
- Atlantic Rhapsody - 52 pictures from Tórshavn (färöisch: Atlantic rapsodi - 52 myndir úr Tórshavn), 1989 of Katrin Ottarsdóttir, firstfäröischer feature of history
- Bye Bye Bluebird, 1999 of Katrin Ottarsdóttir, first färöischer Roadmovie
German television documentations
- Färöer - the discovery of the isolation, transmission row North Sea report (45 minutes) of the NDR of television to 27. June 2004, 18Clock. Mitschnitte on video home system and DVD are offered by the NDR.
Web on the left of
|Wikipedia on Färöisch|
|Commons: Färöer - pictures, videos and/or audio files|
- Denmark.dk - the Färöer (German, portal of the Danish State of)
- Tinganes.fo - portal of the färöischen federal state government (Englishand färöisch)
- Faeroeer.de - German Färöi friend circle
- http://www.vitin.fo - very comprehensive link collection to Färöer (only färöisch)
- Faroeislands.dk - private Färöer portal of Jón Fossá (Danish and English, very comprehensively to each individual place, most important source of all topographies in the Wikipedia)
- Faroestamps.fo -Topic tables Website of the Färöi postal administration (comprehensive Website to history, geography and nature of the Färöer of the Postverk Føroya. All texts in English, many also in German, Danish, French and färöisch, important source of many Wikipedia articles)
- situation of all places and local parts upthe Färöern (all erdenklichen ways of writing are considered)
- statistic national office (among other things individual pdf sides, färöisch and English, very comprehensively)
- Fishin.fo - fishery economy
- Klaksvík - panorama (view northward) - one of many Webcams on this web page.
beside the general stated above left gives it the following picture galleries worth seeing:
- Faroephoto.com (current professional gallery of a färöischen photographer with English description texts)
- psp-info.dk/faroe (private Website of EricChristensen in Danish language)
- SlideArt - Färöerbilder (picture gallery of the photographer Sven Strumann)
- Atlantic Airways - air photo (some hundred air photos of the Färöern)
- Faroe Islands.de (three galleries with German description texts)
- Skulin.fo/myndasavn (current picture gallery of the färöischen national education server to serve on Färöisch, but easily)
- Útvarp Føroya English message of the färöischen broadcast in the Internet (weekly and is based).
- Portal.fo new portal of the Färöer on Färöisch with Webcams
new type character
the färöische legation in London offers free new type character in English languageon, which appears usually once weekly in co-operation with the färöischen broadcast.
coordinates: 61° 57 ′ 15 " N, 6° 51 ′ 25 " W
|This article was taken up to the list of exzellenter articles.|