a barrel of wood , metal ( also ton called) or plastic make , more largely, more walzenförmiger (cylindrical), possibly bulged out container is. It usually servesthe keeping of liquids during a certain length of time in usually medium sized quantities (a few litre to a few hundred litres). A barrel possesses either a small opening for filling and the emptying of the liquid or is on one side whole open and can with a coverare provided. This second kind of barrel serves rather the keeping of solid or powdered materials.
Table of contents
in the antiquity became related in place of the today common barrel hoses from animal bellows or large tongefässe. Also the famous barrel of the Diogenes was such a container, which Pithos was called.
From Plinius the first description of barrel is received, as it the wine barrels of the Celtswhen a container describes, which is locked by a soil compound from Dauben and above and down and is held together by tires. Barrel representations on the column of the Trajan offer the proof for the barrels also in the Nachchristuszeit.
The largest wine barrel of the world is located in bath Dürkheim (Rhineland-Palatinate) and seizes 1.7 million litre. It was never alsoWine filled, accommodates however a restaurant. This barrel was from the beginning not intended for the storage of wine.
The largest barrels planned for wine are in the winegrower cellar of Baden mash oh with 1.2 million litre. These are used only for blends. The large barrel of the HeidelbergerLock (221000 litres), was never filled. With the Cuvéefässern in Freyburg (Unstrut) (Rotkäppchen sparkling wine wine cellar, 120,000 litres) and in Mainz (copper mountain sparkling wine wine cellar, 100,000 litres) concerns it the largest filled Holzfässer.
forms and characteristics
the roller form of a closedBarrel permits easy shifting (roles) by hand to another place with small distance. The bulged out form facilitates it additionally to change the direction of attack during shifting. A barrel leaves itself simultaneous however depending upon need and local occurence on the even or roundedSurface well and space-saving one on the other stack. With the second variant the liquid can be inferred with the cock attached in front easily.
Depending upon intended purpose a barrel must exhibit certain characteristics. A barrel must be for example absolutely closely and if necessary breathe-actively, e.g. Oxygen permit or large Withstand pressure. It must against certain chemicals ( danger property) be resistant perhaps or is, if there is Holzfässer, a certain taste for the liquid arrange, what with alcoholic beverages (like wine or beer) the case is.
liquids or materials, those in barrelsare stored:
- Alcoholic beverages
- oil, see also to barrels
kinds of barrel
- Holzfass: Holzfässer are manufactured usually from oaks - or acacias -, in southern countries also from Kastanienholz. In the viticultureadmits is the Barrique.
- Butterfass: from wood of gefertiger containers provided with an axle on a rotary stand is, to production of butter.
- Metal barrel
- light alloy barrel
- plastic barrel: Usually made of PE-HD (HDPE), after the extruding blow moulding, more rarely in the rotation or centrifuge procedure. At mostif the size with 220 litres or 55 US gallons is common, then 216.5 litres volume corresponds.
- Cover barrel: Barrel body locked with a cover by a locking collar, more rarely by means of thread covers.
- Bung barrel: With 2 openings
- ring barrel: Marked by a bulge (ring), a manufacturing process, that in Germanyone patented. It facilitates the handling of the barrel.
- Keg: Barrel with valve particularly for the catering trade and the industrielle filling
- pressure barrel
- pumping barrel
- rain barrel: This is the name for oneTon for collecting the rain water. It stands usually under a discharge of the gutter
- Bierfass, e.g. Selfrefreshing Bierfass
- pickle barrel
- liquid manure barrel: A usually metallic (in former times wooden) ton in the liquid manure for fertilizing the plants is set. Also the metallic ton, which the farmers for fertilizing upthe fields drove carry this designation.
- Salvage barrel
- thoseProduction of the Holzfässer has still a great traditional importance. A Holzfass is manufactured by the Küfer and is thus to a large extent handmade.
- Stahlfässer are mechanically installed, painted in large quantities up to 1200 St/h onto production lines and examined for tightness.
- Plastic barrels become from onein a blast pipe tube present, which is blown up with high air pressure, by machine manufactured. The production process in the extruding blow moulding of a 220-l-Fasses between 1:45 on the average takes to 2:20 minutes, one time interval is in the long run on the barrel weight dependent.
Web on the left of
|Wiktionary: Barrel - word origin, synonyms andTranslations|
www.rekofass.de - to Reko packing & service GmbH
- the “barrel of the Danaiden “