Line of flux
Lines of flux distinguish a direction in fields, mostly the direction, in which a Kraft works. Therefore lines of flux steponly in fields up, in which a direction is distinguished, thus fields of verktorwertiger sizes of, so for instance fields, electrical and magnetic fields zones of flow. In fields scalar who tiger sizes of, so for instance also Potentialfeldern, is not distinguished a direction, why there are also no lines of flux here. There are lines of flux against itin the field gradients of the scalar field, thus the direction of the strongest change.
The lines of flux of a gravitational field are those lines, into which the force of gravity works. On earth - in the Earth's gravity field - one calls this direction plumb bob line or vertical one (English: Plumb LINE, vertical).
These lines of flux can be made visible by a cord plumb bob. Also with magnetic lines of flux of a small magnet the visualization of the lines of flux is possible - by the attempt with iron filings, often shown in schools.
- of the lines of flux is given characteristics of lines of flux with the magnetic field by definition by the direction, to which the north pole of a compass needle points. In the environment of a permanent magnet runthe lines of flux therefore always from the north to the South Pole.
- With the electrical field E-field of an electrical charge the lines of flux run by definitionem from the positive to the negative charge.
- Lines of flux of source fields (for instance fields of electrical charges, or gravitational fields) proceed from one point or to end in onePoint.
- Lines of flux of cyclic fields (for instance magnetic fields or electrical fields, which are induced by changing magnetic fields) to have a beginning and no end and are not closed lines.
- Lines of flux cut themselves never mutually.
- The more closely the lines of flux lie next to each other, the more largely are the strength of the field onthe respective place.