a river (old high German.: fluz too fliozan ) is a larger natural watercourse, or also a running waters “flows ”. In the alpine region rivers become often also as Achen (too old high German aha [pc. f.], “river”)designated.
Table of contents
The difference between brook and river is defined in the wahrsten sense of the word flowing and even in the relevant literature not clearly.A brook becomes the river if it becomes passable navigable, thus at least in sections by vessels (although small). This is not to be fastened at certain width or depth.
A river has at least two banks. Most rivershave a source and a delta. On flat Wasserscheiden can be formed forkings, Bifurkationen so mentioned. Large rivers, which are not tributary of a larger river, but in the open sea flow, also as river are designated. They form as deltaeither estuary or a river delta. Some rivers seep also in the desert or into other porous rock formations. Others continue after the delta under the sea still than river gutter (most well-known Congo gutter). Sometimes rivers form state borders. Often flow throughRivers several states. Rivers, the large dry regions will cross also called Fremdlingsfluss.
One differentiates regarding the temporal existence perennial (steady, persistent), episodische (sometimes, in irregular distances) and periodic (sometimes, in regular intervals) rivers. A river falls down over a rock edge,thus thereby a Wasserfall or a cascade forms. A river is divided in four regions (see river regions).
Flora, fauna and human use
most rivers lead fresh water and are thus the habitat of a specialFresh water flora and - fauna. Rivers become economical particularly for transport (see also: Route of transportation), for drinking water treatment, for electricity production in run power stations and for the cooling used by conventional and nuclear power stations. Often they become as sewer abused.
the 10 longest rivers of the earth
- 6,671 km - Nile: Luvironza Ruvuvu Ruvusu Kagera white Nile Nile - (Africa)
- 6,387 km - Amazon: Apurimac Ene Tambo Ucayali Amazon - (South America) (see: Discussion: Amazon)
- 6,380 km - Jangtse (Cháng Jiāng) - (Asia)
- 6,051 km- Mississippi Missouri - (North America)
- 5,940 km - Jenissei - Angara - Selenga - or - (Asia)
- 5,410 km - Whether - Irtysch - (Asia)
- 5,052 km - Amur - Argun - Kerulen - (Asia) - (develops only in precipitation-rich years)
- 4,845 km - Huáng Hé (yellow river) - (Asia)
- 4,500 km - Mekong - (Asia)
- 4,374 km - The Congo - (Africa)
Further “longest rivers” see: The longest rivers of the earth
the 10 longest rivers, those by Germanyflow
- 2,852 km - Danube
- 1,320 km - Rhine
- 1,165 km - Elbe
- 866 km - Or
- 545 km - Mosel
- 524 km - Main
- 510 km - Inn
- 433 km - Weser
- 413 km - Saale
- 343 km - Spree
further one “German rivers” see: List of the rivers in Germany
the 5 longest rivers, which flow by Switzerland
- 1,320 km - Rhine (of it 375 km in Switzerland) - flows into the North Sea
- 812 km - Rhône (of it 264 km in Switzerland) - flows into the Mediterranean
- 510 km - Inn (of it 104 km in Switzerland) - flows into the Danube
- 291 km - Aare - flows into the Rhine
- 248 km - Ticino -further one Swiss of rivers flows
work on] from the source to the delta, then one knows the right and left bank as orografischright or left bank clearly specify.
- the longest rivers of the earth
- river straightening
- hydrology, Limnologie
- list of the rivers (world-wide), to list of the rivers in Germany, list of the rivers in Switzerland, list of European rivers
- river ordinal number
- river of the yearly
- the earth in data and numbers
Web on the left of
- Geoffrey Lean, Death OF the world's rivers (“The Independent “, 12. March 2006 - To a UN conference of 14. to 22. March 2006 inMexico town center and/or. to the world water day to 22. March 2006, during which by the separating UNEP - Executive Director Klaus Töpfer a frightening report was submitted for the condition of the rivers of the world; see. , , )