|of these articles treats the city Gütersloh. For the circle Gütersloh see circle Gütersloh, for the Austrian painter see Albert Paris Gütersloh.|
|Coat of arms||map|
|Land of the Federal Republic:||North Rhine-Westphalia|
|geographical situation:|| |
Coordinates: 51° 54 ' N, 8° 23 ' O 51° 54 ' N, 8° 23 ' O
|height:||75 m and. NN|
|surface:||111.99 km ²|
|inhabitants:||96.258 (31. December 2005)|
|Population density:||860 inhabitants for each km ²|
|postal zip codes:|| 33241-33335|
|municipality key:||05 7 54 008|
|city arrangement:||12 quarters|
of the city administration:
| Berlin road 70|
|mayor:||Maria Unger (SPD)|
|debts:||97,6 millions € (31. Dec. 2004)|
|foreigner portion:||9.3% (31. Dec. 2005)|
|Unemployment ratio:||9.4% (October 2005)|
Gütersloh is a city in North Rhine-Westphalia, Landesteil Westphalia, governmental district Detmold (east Westphalia lip). Gütersloh is district town of the circle of the same name and haswith approx. 96,300 inhabitants the status of a large city circle-belonging. Together with that about 20 kilometers removed Bielefeld rank it among the compression chambers of the Federal Republic.
Table of contents
In the frontier to Rheda Wiedenbrück forest a larger forest area extends, predominantly with coniferous trees with the Rhedaer. Large surfaces have beyond that a park-similar character. The entire city is coined/shaped by a rather unfruchtbaren, sandigen soil. This comes also with the old designation “heath village” to the expression.
The river Dalke flows through the city crossed from the east to the west, thereby the city park with the botanischen garden as well as the city center and flowsnearby the city boundary into the Ems. Before Pavenstädt of the Wapelbach flows into the Dalke in the proximity of the “new mill” in the quarter. To a large extent renaturierte Dalke is accompanied over far distances by a beautiful wheel and sidewalk. By thatnortheast the town center lying quarter Isselhorst flows the Lutter, which likewise flow with Harsewinkel into the Ems.
to city arrangement to the city Gütersloh beside the town center to 1970 independent municipalities the Avenwedde, Friedrichsdorf and Spexard (beforebelonging to the office Avenwedde in the circle Wiedenbrück), Isselhorst, Ebbesloh, Niehorst and hells (before belonging to the office Brackwede in the circle Bielefeld), which were integrated in the context of the country-wide local reform.
In addition live old farmer shanks in the consciousness of the population away:
- north horn
|Rheda Wdbr.||Guessing mountain||Verl|
Gütersloh borders on following cities and municipalities. They are called in the clockwise direction beginning in the north: Steinhagen (Westf.), Bielefeld, Verl, Rietberg, Rheda Wiedenbrück, Heart breaking into clear wood, Harsewinkel (up to Bielefeld all circle Gütersloh)
Gütersloh was mentioned for the first time in the year 1184 in a document of the bishop von Osnabrück. The municipality Isselhorst belonging today to the city became already in the year 1050 mention for the first time. In the seven-year-old war referred 1757 the French marshal d'Estrees accomodation in close proximity to Gütersloh. At the 1. Five Prussian Husarenschwadronen under Narzinski of two French Hussar regiments defeated July 1758 in combat with Gütersloh. 1815 fell Gütersloh alsothe rule Rheda and Westphalia at Prussia.
To 14. November 1825 lent king Friedrich William III. of Prussia in a cabinet order Gütersloh municipal rights. The introduction of the advice condition (town council, municipal authorities, selected mayor) took place only with the acceptance of the city order inYears 1842. To 12. January 1844 received the place from the Prussian king Friedrich William IV. a Stadtwappen. 1847 were opened the station. 1851 took up the Evangelist Stifti High School its activity. 1861 became the Evangelist March in Luther church after plans of the Barmener Architect Christian Heyden finished. 1862 opened the gas works, 1864 the city hall and 1868 the brewery. 1885 opened the imperial post office. To 15. October 1890 weihte the Paderborner bishop Dr. Augustinus Gockel the catholic pc. Pankratius church.
The growth of the number of inhabitants setonly with the industrialization in the center 19. Century and the associated settlement of important enterprises. The rising being and passenger traffic required the development of the road system. first the Chaussee originated in to 1877 to 1879 after Marienfeld, then 1879 to1882 the connection toward Brockhagen, 1881 to 1883 the Chaussee after Verl and new churches and 1902 to 1903 the connection after Friedrichsdorf. 1907 shifted the company Miele their seat from the small place heart-break into after Gütersloh.
During that Novemberpogrome 1938 found the pursuit of the Jewish population of the city a high point. Thus three houses and the synagog were burned down, two houses were devastated. Starting from 1941 the Jewish population was kidnapped into the concentration camps, 27 humans died. Lived 1932 still 62Persons of Jewish faith in the city, then was not it 1943 more. After 1945 no more Jewish municipality developed in Gütersloh.
Between 1939 and 1945 about 3800 foreigners were committed to 156 to the hard labour, in the enterprises and households of the cityfrom them died. The armed forces possessed 1935 and 1945 two mechanisms, the airport Gütersloh and air message barracks in the city between. The NSDAP and its arrangements had furnished 14 agencies in Gütersloh. In the Second World War Gütersloh was since 1940 thatA goal of allies of air raids. 290 humans died, about 25 per cent of the buildings were destroyed. At the 1. US-American troops the city occupied April 1945. In August 1945 the city and the airport were handed over to the British Army of the Rhine, those there a garrisonfurnished.
At the 1. January 1973 received Gütersloh with the entry into force of the law for the reorganisation of the municipalities and circles in the area Bielefeld the status of a district town.
- at the 1. April 1910 farmer shanks the Blankenhagen, Kathenstroth, north horn, Pavenstädt becameand Sundern in in common December.
- At the 1. January 1970 took place with the entry into force of the law for the reorganisation of the circle Wiedenbrück and from parts of the circle Bielefeld the incorporation of the places Avenwedde, Friedrichsdorf and Spexard as well as Ebbesloh, hells, Isselhorst, Niehorst and parts thatMunicipalities Nordrheda Ems, Ummeln, Varensell and Verl.
in the Middle Ages was Gütersloh only a small village with little dozen inhabitants. Also at the beginning of the modern times the place had only some hundred inhabitants. Only with the beginning of the industrializationin 19. Century used stronger population growth in the city. 1840 if only 2,844 humans lived in the city, then there was already 1939 approximately 33.000. Also after it the total population continued to grow. To 30. June 2005 amounted to „Official number of inhabitants “for Gütersloh after updating of the national office for data processing and statistics North Rhine-Westphalia 96,243 (only main domiciles and after alignment with the other national offices).
The following overview shows the numbers of inhabitants after the respective area conditions. Until 1644 it acts usuallyaround estimations, afterwards around census results (¹) or official updating of the statistic national office. The data refer starting from 1871 to „the localpresent population “, starting from 1925 to the resident population and since 1987 to „the population at the place of the main dwelling “. 1871 ago becamethe number of inhabitants in non-uniform collection procedures determines.
¹ census result
the local council has 44 seats, itself after the local election of 26. Septembers 2004 build up as follows (in parentheses the election result):
- CDU: 18 seats (40.3%)
- SPD: 14 seats(32.1%)
- The Green: 4 seats (10.0%)
- BfGT (citizen for Gütersloh): 4 seats (8.7%)
- FDP: 2 seats (5.3%)
- UWG (independent voter community): 2 seats (3.6%)
Bürgermeisterin is since 1994 honorary Maria Unger (SPD).She was selected 1999 to the full-time chief of the city administration. With the local elections 2004 it was confirmed in the office.
partnerships between cities
objects of interest, culture andSport
- Ev. Apostelkirche: 1944 up to the west tower destroy. The simple, by a Spitztonne over-curved nave starting from 1951 after plans of Werner March was again established. It came to a re-use of the Ecksäulenwith lateRoman Kapitellen from the destroyed choir.
- Ev. March in Luther church: 1857-61 of Christian Heyden establish. Newgothical resounding church with west tower. The inside is provided with circulating lofts. Kronleuchter of 1659.
- Kath. Parish church pc. Pankratius: Large again-Roman Backsteinbasilika with west tower, 1889-91from Arnold gulden Pfennig builds. Remainders of the contemporary equipment are received. In addition: Roman crucifix, around 1100 - statue of the holy Pankratius, 2. Half 14. Jh.
the church ring land development within the range of the Apostelkirche with half timbered houses 17. and 18. Jh. is keep almost complete. Of it considerably:
- Veerhofhaus, church square 2: Giebelhaus with large hall, at the gate elbow 1708 and 1790 designates (change). The upper floor over Knaggen far pre-assembled-rising up. The dreigeschossige, with Fächerrosetten verzierte rear spar from of 1647-49 as memory was probably already established.
- Kirchstr. 4: Hall house of 1658, the lateral Auslucht one added 1721.
- Old Vikarie, Kirchstr. 10: Framework Traufenhaus with latebaroque portal essay, 1779 establishes.
- Mansion Bartels, Kirchstr. 21: Slate width unit framework Traufenhaus of 11 axles; that five-oh-triumphs building of cores became already 1778established. In the 1. Half 19. Jh. it was converted and extended by the textile entrepreneur Bartels. From this time the lamelating of the front originates. The Eingangstür shows still Rococo forms. Today the mansion Bartels accommodates the register office of the cityGütersloh.
Outside of the church square:
- Königstr. 7: One the last Fachwerkgiebelhäuser in the city area, 18. Jh., with Auslucht
- weber house, Münsterstr. 9: 1649 designates. Last remainder of the original, predominantly cathedral route Muenster consisting of framework hall houses.
- Spexarder farmhouse: The Spexarder farmhouse comeswith its oldest building part from the year 1536. The establishment of the stables is dated on 1572. It stood originally at the Helmholtzstrasse close by the motorway a2. With the work the conversion of the building to the Lukasstrasse became1993 begun. In January 1995 it was solemnly inaugurated by the Spexarder associations and the population. The house is today to all associations and groups for meetings at the disposal. It is in the property of the city Gütersloh. Carrier of the Spexarder of farmhouse andthus manager is the association for local history Spexard.
- Schlüter mansion, Moltkestr. 10a: Building of clinkers with flat roof in the style of the new Sachlichkeit, 1927/28 by the architect Fritz Viemann establishes.
- Meier yard: All-side of a Gräfte surrounded yard plant, probably germ cell thatCity Gütersloh. RESIDENTIAL BUILDING. Single-storey framework construction with übergiebeltem center section, 1811-13 establishes.
- Former district court (people's highschool and police station), citizen of Berlin place: 1907-08 developed building complex in the style of the Weser Renaissance. Main building with ridge turrets and front oriels.
- Evangelist Stifti High School, Feldstr.: Dreigeschossiges brick building with ridge turrets, establishes1928. The building arranged strictly by triangular protruding wall columns reminds strongly of the buildings created by Fritz Höger in Northern Germany.
- Water tower, Theodor Heuss place: 40.8 meters high water tower, 1888 taken in enterprise and in the meantime to a Jugendcafé converted.
- former weaving mill Greveand Güth (urban cultural center), Bogenstr. 1-8: 1874 based. Receive the boiler and turbine house, as well as the piece goods camp and the former Websäle from the period of promoterism. The Kontorgebäude 1901 added. The remaining buildings between 1912 and 1927 establishes.
- Administration building of the company Wolf,Carl Bertelsmann STR. 21/23: High, starting from 1930 established building of bricks with expressionistischen arrangement elements.
- city park, 1908/09 on an area to the Dalke developed; 1912 around a Botani garden extend; 1960 around a Minigolfanlage, since 1990 around one Fruit meadow, a pharmacist garden, a fable path with art objects and a Café in the former palm house supplemental, occupied 2006 with the competition of “Germany most beautiful park” the 3. Place
- of poppy park, 1973 already opened leisure facility with Kinderplanschbecken, Minigolfanlage, sports fields and Kneippbecken as well as onebuilt 1949 from the war rubble of the Blessenstätte free light stage (1,100 seats); the city acquired 38,505 square meter large areas 1937 of the widow Frederike poppy
- Riegerpark, green belt on the area of the former market garden Rieger with direct binding to the Dalkepromenade, from 1998 to 2002 [
youth culture ring
- Gütersloh reorganizes
- the weaving mill center for art, culture and communication
- Jugendtreff Bauteil5
- Josef Honcia's jazz row in the former youth centre emperor route
- theatre and concert program of the urban culture office
- art association for the circle Güterslohregistered association.
- Culture community triangle place registered association.
- dentist day Westphalia lip
- Gütersloher spring
- road charm
- read spring
- Honky Tonk
- 1.MaiBaumFest at the triangle place
- long night of the art
- artistic Impressionen at the triangle place
- Pfingst Kirmes
- Gütersloher wine market
- road wheel running cooperative bank town center night
- open air andUmsonst&Draussen: Meeting row Gütersloher summer
- week of the small arts at the triangle place
- Gütersloh national press ball
- Michaelis week
- with Kirmes and GÜWA (Gütersloher show) Gütersloher
- ham market European
- culture week March in removal
the music center donation old person wiper in the Gütersloher local part Avenwedde becomes internationalused of two orchestras as sample place and association house:
- Music association Avenwedde e. V. of 1911
- youth music corps Avenwedde - city Gütersloh - e. V.
In addition are resident in the city:
- Bend volume of the Evangelist Stifti High School
- trombone choir of the Evgl. Pin. High School
- Westfäli chamber Philharmonic Concert Hall
- Symphoni blowing orchestra of the fire-brigade
- brook choir
- urban music association
- Shantychor “Gütersloh”
- Shantychor “north wind”
- Shantychor “the Luttermöwen”
- fiber plastic Gütersloh 2000
- Gütersloher TV
- Gütersloher Faltbootgilde 1931
- HSG Gütersloh
- sports association Avenwedde
- sports association Spexard
- TUS Friedrichsdorf
- DJK German Federal Armed Forces Avenwedde
- TV Isselhorst
- Gütersloher chess association of 1923
- DJK Gütersloh registered association. 1923
and many further smaller sport associations
economics and infrastructure
Gütersloh has its own connection point to the a2, particularly the quarters Pavenstädt and Kattenstroth is however from direction Ruhr district coming better over the connection point To reach Rheda Wiedenbrück /G ütersloh south. The federal highway 61, which connects the Ruhr district with that of Bremen to area and from Gütersloh after Rheda Wiedenbrück and Bielefeld leads, runs vierspurig (however not crossing-free) by the city and takes over the function of a ring road.
GüterslohDortmund is - to Hanover because of the railroad line. The main station is a system stop in the long-distance traffic of the German course AG: Beside several intertown centers daily also two ICE hold at the Gütersloher station. Beyond that Gütersloh with the regional express becomes Westphalia express (RE6) sowie den Regionalbahnen Der Warendorfer (RB 67) und Westfalen-Bahn (RB 69) von drei Linien des Schienenpersonennahverkehrs bedient. Between Hamm and Bielefeld thereby a half hour clock is realized to a large extent.
The city becomes from a star shaped city bus- Net of public utilities Gütersloh opened. City and circle Gütersloh belong to the area traffic group east Westphalia lip (the Sechser). Bus tickets apply in the regional courses - it applies also the country-wide North-Rhine/Westphalia tariff.
The Teutoburger forest railway (TWE) uses a single-railedNebenstrecke Ibbenbüren - Gütersloh north - Hövelhof for goods transportation, essentially as spur track for the agricultural machinery production of the company Claas in Harsewinkel. The TWE courses are also called in the vernacular “Pingel Anton”.
The airport Gütersloh, of the city fathers into the 1930erYears as civilian place requested, one used usually, so also today, militarily.
approx. 46,000 jobs, of it 37% in goods production. The industrielle of emphasis is appropriate for metalworking (household appliances
- with the industries media (
- Bertelsmann AG) - Miele)
- wood working (Pfleiderer AG)
- furniture production (seam petrol GmbH)
during the food production
- baking goods (“Pumpernickel “- Mestemacher)
- Wurstwaren (Marches, Vogt & Wolf)
- yogurt and Desserts (Campina)
and in the segment of the IT-services
the meaning of other industries diminished against it strongly. Like that numerous enterprises in furniture production resided in Gütersloh. Also of the important textile enterprises of the city are only the belt and the ribbon weaving Güth & wolfstill actively.
to media Gütersloh to the few cities, appear alike local in which three to daily papers, because it lies in the intersection of the individual circulation areas. In the order of their number of copies in the city Gütersloh are:
- Neue Westfälische (Head office Bielefeld)
- the bell (head office Oelde)
- Westphalia sheet (head office Bielefeld)
monthly two free appear, as house post office distributed and/or. in business available Stadtmagzine: since 1976 the GT-info. (“Güterslohs city magazine”) from the quick man publishing house and since 1996 guetsel.de(“Güterslohs city pictorial”). Besides there are the quarter publications to Bonewie (for Avenwedde, Friedrichsdorf and Spexard) and the Isselhorster. Appears twice annual in addition the catering trade leader guetsel.de gastroguide.
The local broadcasting station is called radio Gütersloh, produced during the day more than six hours ownProgram with messages and reports from the entire circle Gütersloh and switch otherwise into the master program from radio North-Rhine/Westphalia. Local message gives it once per hour from 6:30 to 19:30 to clock. The transmitter is too received in the circle area over the UKW frequencies107,5 (transmitter Oelde - current mountain) and 106.8 (transmitter borrowing wood living) as well as over the cable frequency 97,2.
education and research
- High Schools 2
- comprehensive schools 3
- six-form high schools 2
- hauptschule 2
- special schools 1
- Rudolf Steiner School 2
- Berufskollegs [
- work on]
the city ordered since 1984 over one with approx. 138,000 media equippedLibrary in the city centre. The library is operated together as GmbH of the city and the Bertelsmann donation.
With the leisure and open-rir swimming pool the wave, the indoor swimming pool and the north bath two considered swimming pools and two open-rir swimming pools are to the citizen at the disposal.
In the town hall also theatre performances take place apart from meetings of all kinds since 2003, after the theatre was concluded from safety reasons and a new building was rejected by a citizen decision.
The city has three hospitals:
- Urban clinical center
- catholic pc. Elizabeth hospital
- WestfäliHospital in working group of the landscape federation Westphalia - lip
of sons and daughters of the city
in Gütersloh were born:
- 1791: Carl Bertelsmann, entrepreneur
- 1833: Adolph Bermpohl, joint founder of the DGzRS
- 1861: Hans Schöttler,Protestant clergyman
- 1883: Ludwig Mueller, realm bishop (1933-1945)
- 1885: Heinrich poppy, entrepreneur
- 1921: Pure hard poppy, entrepreneur
- 1926: Hans's Werner Henze, composer
- 1929: Rudolf Miele, entrepreneur
- 1954: Rainer turn, politicians
- 1960: Birgit Lechtermann, TV-host
- 1965: Constanza Droop, Kinderbuch Illustratorin (“Felix”)
- 1975: Diana Amft, Schauspielerin
- 1976: Simon Gosejohann, Trash Filmer, TV-moderator (Viva, pro filters)
- 1976: Sandra Leonhard, actress (scene, among us, coast guard, Anke)
- peoples Schrewe, Bariton (soloist within the range song, opera and Oratorium,Vowel ensemble drop), choir leader (Philharmoni choir lip, Detmolder song board, GermanPolish choir academy “in terra pax”), lecturer (university in music Detmold)
- Claus Grabke, Skater (Titus), musician (Thumb, alternative of all star) and music producer, moderator (MTV)
- Steffen Wilmking, musician (H-Blockx,Thumb, Machine)
native Gütersloher, which worked however in the city, are not:
- Erhard Ahmann (1941-2005), football players and - coach
- Esther citizen (* 1967), object artist
- Klaus Dörner (* 1933), psychiatrist and Chefarzt
- Konstantin Graudus (* 1965),Actor
- Detlef Güthenke (* 1958), photo artist
- Rolf calf (* 1959), sports journalist and commentator with euro sport
- Johannes Kuhlo (1856-1941), “trombone choir pioneer”
- Thomas Middelhoff (* 1953), manager
- Carl Miele (1869-1938), entrepreneur
- Liz poppy (* 1941), Unternehmerin
- Stephan Rürup (* 1965), humorist and editorthe satire magazine “Titanic”
- Hermann Simon, psychiatrist and Chefarzt
- Gunter Thielen (* 1942), managers
- of olive withered ones (* 1966), TV-moderator and Comedian
- Woldemar Winkler (1902-2004), painter and sculptor
- Woldemar Theodor Winkler, psychiatrist and Chefarzt
- Mark of Wössner (* 1938), managers
- Hannes Linssen (*1949), football coaches of the fiber plastic Gütersloh
other & curiosities
“the last cowboy comes from Gütersloh” is a hit of Thommie Bavarian, who has to do however only vordergründig something with Gütersloh. According to the interpreter camethe city only due to the probably-sounding name in the honour. This Song is intoniert nevertheless often by the fans of the fiber plastic Gütersloh in the heath forest stadium and serves also as hanger for actions of opposing fans.
The city Gütersloh, although far of thatfar away being appropriate for next coast, has several connections to the navigation. Since 1906 there is the naval association to Gütersloh, the today's naval comrade shank Adolph Bermpohl registered association. The name giver Adolph Bermpohl became in Gütersloh, at the old person church square No. 14, born and was one thatJoint founder of the German society for the rescue of shipwrecked ones (DGzRS). There are equivalent three Shanty - choirs to Gütersloh (Shanty choir Gütersloh, Shanty choir north wind and the Luttermöwen) and the “table reserved for regulars more Hamburg young from 1993”, a union of native Hamburg ones, those likewise a piece of the“maritime Gütersloh” represent.
If Gütersloher arrange themselves on the HVP, the central place is meant, i.e. in the city center the citizen of Berlin place. The abbreviation stands for p rubber strip for H ore IE V or. Although Güterslohs only department store already since years thatName plate of Karstadt carries, also today still is this somewhat despektierliche designation in the circulation.
In the catholic coined/shaped neighbour municipalities the city among the older inhabitants is often called “Nazareth” or “small Nazareth”. The call particularly hurried the Protestant coined/shaped inhabitants onepious and industrious, quite freudlosen interpretation of the faith ahead.
- Gütersloh - opinions of a city - a book of pictures with current texts and over 70 photos of the city for Gütersloher, friends and visitors - townscape publishing house Leipzig, 2005 -€14,90 - ISBN 3937126252
- Matthias's E. Borner: Calculated Gütersloh! - 55 short satires over the most beautiful city of the world, publishing house union Vox cattle cattle, 2004; ISBN 3000118934
- Matthias's E. Borner: Rumble, to Plörre and Pinöckel - basic vocabulary for surviving in Gütersloh, publishing house unionVox cattle cattle, 2004;ISBN 3000142495
- Matthias's E. Borner: Rumble, to Plörre and Pinöckel 2 - structure vocabulary for point-avid new citizens in Gütersloh, publishing house union Vox cattle cattle, 2006; ISBN 3000181202
- Werner Friday (Hrsg.): History of the city Gütersloh, publishing house for regional history, Bielefeld 2003; ISBN 3895345008
- Detlef Güthenke, hitting a corner pool of broadcasting corporations Klessmann and Susanne Carpenter: Gütersloh, book of pictures, quick man publishing house, 2000
- Hans Hilbk: Pins and giving in Gütersloh - private charity in 19. and 20. Century, quick man publishing house, 1991; ISBN 3872310542
- Hans Hilbk: Gütersloh, thatHitler realm and the division of Germany, quick man publishing house, Gütersloh 1990; ISBN 3872310518
- Hans Hilbk: Gütersloh, the emperor and the republic 1888-1934, quick man publishing house, Gütersloh 1989; ISBN 3872310445
- Hans Hilbk: Gütersloh and Prussia - a choice relationship, quick man publishing house, 1988; ISBN 3872310410
- Till Kössler: “Work input” in the medium-sized town - foreign workers in Gütersloh 1933-1945, city Gütersloh, 1996; ISBN 3921961084
- Hagen Kraak: Gütersloh - moved times. The 50's, waiting mountain publishing house, Gudensberg same one 2002; ISBN 3861343053
- Hagen Kraak: Childhood inGütersloh - photographies from one century, waiting mountain publishing house, Gudensberg same one 2000; ISBN 386134629X
- Lydia Plöger: ... you marry nevertheless! - Woman lives in Gütersloh around 1900, quick man publishing house, Gütersloh 1990; ISBN 387231050X
- city museum, people's highschool (Hrsgb.): A city grows: Buildin Gütersloh 1822-1955, quick man publishing house; ISBN 3872310488
- o.V.: Into medias res - 150 years Evangelist Stifti High School Gütersloh, 2001; ISBN 3000080260
Web on the left of
|Wikinews: Gütersloh - current message|