Facility management [fəˈsɪlɪtɪˌmænidʒmənt] (ABC: FM) designates the administration and management of buildings, plants and mechanisms (English. facilities) in their utilization phase. This can both enterprise-internally be made (by an appropriate department) and by external offerers to be accomplished. Against the opinion frequently which can be found, it concerns with the Facility management only caretakers - or , it concerns to housing management activities the professional completion from secondary processes. The building management that apart from the housing management also the structural support of buildings covers, represents thereby only a subrange of the Facility Managments. Secondary processes are processes, which do not fall into the core business of an organization, but support this (see also building management in the Corporate material Estate management).
As in principle new idea the strategic beginning in that plays building management a crucial role. The term management is as planning to understand execution and control from processes to; the operational conversion of measures is derived from it. FM bundles existing and future activities and services, so that synergies from transparency and coordinated completion of processes result „from a hand “. Thus rationing costs (partially clear) can be lowered.
Since Facility was established and as course of studies at different universities was offered management for short as own science. By the increasing paging of different tasks of an enterprise the market for services within this range grows.
Although there are many of the actual activities, which the term Facility management describes, already just as for a long time as the enterprises and the pertinent infrastructure, the FM developed only in recent time to its own and recognized management discipline. (Lit.: Hole man)
was Facility management only some experts still a few years ago trusts. This situation changed. In the meantime different enterprises and public mechanisms established Facility management equally apart from other management methods. (Lit.: Nävy)
Table of contents
- facility; facilities: Mechanisms, plants
- management: Handling, administration, line, (business) guidance, skillful treatment
for Facility management exists so far still no uniform definition. Instead there are some different views and thus varying definition beginnings over it, which everything into this topic area in-heard and which not:
- „Facility management is the management of secondary processes “ Robert elections, FMPRO Robert elections, 1996. In the marketing and management becomes in primary (Kernprozesse) and secondary processes (all to the core business not belonging processes) differentiated. Secondary processes represent thereby Bedarfe of core process owners, who must be covered, in order to be able to implement the Kernprozesse optimally. Without covering of these Bedarfe none or only Kernprozesse are reduced possible. Is called limited thereby under increased expenditure and that means increased costs. Facility management is the management of these Bedarfe, covers and optimizes these by service achievements and contributes thus to the cost saving.
- „Facility management integrates the bases of the marketing and management, the architecture as well as that of behavior - and engineering sciences with the co-ordination of the physical job with humans and with the work of the organization. “ (Lit.: IFMA)
- „Facility management (FM) is a management discipline, which by result-oriented handling, steered and controlled Facility of processes a satisfaction of the basic needs of humans on the job, support of the enterprise of Kernprozesse and increase of capital profitability, planned by Facilities and services in the framework, causes. “ (Lit.: GEFMA)
- „Facility management is a strategic concept to management, administration and organization of all special resources within an enterprise. “ (Lit.: Nävy)
- „Facility management covers a competent output orientation for operatingsupporting activities on the strategic management level outside of the core business. “ (Lit.: Rossig)
- „Facility management is the strategic management discipline, which covers the analysis, documentation and optimization of all cost-relevant procedures approximately around a building and its plants and mechanisms holistic and over the entire life cycle under special consideration of the interests of user and the support of the core business. “ (Lit.: May)
- „Facility management is simply the intelligent integration from line contributions round to the satisfaction of customer needs around the real estate. “ (Consulting firm Professor. Staudt innovation - Consulting GmbH)
one recognizes very fast that the priority of the view varies depending upon author. Thus for example the German Facility management Association (GEFMA) stands humans as such in the center of the views with the definition, whereas Nävy sees the emphasis with special resources of the enterprise.
These partial different definition beginnings are jointly responsible for or other critics of the Facility management and the question about the existence authorization of FM - this non-uniformness is for critics an apparent indication for the fact that a clear demarcation is missing to other management disciplines and must thus than its own field of activity in question be placed.
If one regards however the whole of the definition beginnings and if a kind forms „for smallest common denominator “, one recognizes that there is some central components, which are called in more or less strong or at least in a general manner same development by all authors:
- „“(Facility management as a long-term and purposeful concept) „
- within an enterprise “(referred instead of only rigidly to only an individual building real estate ) „
- task of management “(equivalently with other management disciplines) „
- non--core processes “(focus of the views is on the non-worth-drawing processes)
the term of the Facility management is also not strategic to equate with the term pure building management (DIN 32736) and/or. House management. Nevertheless contain FM these ranges - one speaks thereby also of „the operational component “of the Facility management:
- The operational Facility management contains the operational conversion of all activities, which were necessary also so far with that building management. The strategic Facility management concerns itself against it with the tasks of management. (Lit.: Brown)
also the question about „who “is to answer - is Facility themanagement particularly an internal instance responsible for it by outsourcing to external offerers to be transferred or does want one to furnish? Both variants have (as with all questions about outsourcing - or no?) surely your pro and cons and are thus left to the individual considerations and preferences of the respective enterprise.
of specialized components
of the GEFMA were published in the guidelines 600ff of career profiles in the Facility management.
The technical components exhibit the following structure:
- natural sciences technology computer science
- economic science management
- core fan
- technical management.
- commercial management
- infrastructural management
- surface management (in accordance with. DIN 32736)
from view of the IFMA concerns itself Facility management with the following jurisdictions:
- Enterprise & maintenance
- real estates & real estate properties
- coworker & environmental factors
- planning & project management
- Facility Function
- appraisal of quality & innovation
computer Aided Facility management
as computer Aided Facility management (CAFM) the support of the Facility management is designated by the information technology.
organizations, federations, associations
- internationally Facility management Association (IFMA). Special attention is put on the topic qualified training (authority development).
- GEFMA: An emphasis of the activities is with the production of guidelines.
- * FM information FMPRO Robert elections
- Erich Staudt/Bernd Kriegesmann/Markus Thomzik: Facility management - which begins fight for market shares, F.A.Z. - Publishing house 1999, ISBN 3933180139
- Markus Thomzik: Rationalization potentials represented by system performances by the example of Facility of management concept, Bochum 2002, ISBN 3928854208
- Hans Peter brown, Eberhard Oesterle, Peter Haller: Facility management. Success in that real estate management. 4. Edition. Heidelberg 2004, ISBN 3-540-44371-1
- * IFMA, internationally Facility management Association IFMA, internationally Facility management Association
- * GEFMA guidelines : Guideline GEFMA 100-1 Facility management; Bases. (Draft 2004-07)
- Hans Dieter hole man, Rainer Köllgen (Hrsg.): Facility management. Strategic real estate management in practice. Gabler, Wiesbaden 1998, ISBN 3-409-18860-6
- Jens Nävy, Wolfgang lion: Facility management. Bases, aid of computers, system introduction, sample applications. 3. Edition. Springer, Heidelberg 2000, ISBN 3-540-44167-0
- Erhard Rossig: Facility management. Foil set WS2003/2004, FH Bochum 2003
- Hermann cutters: Facility management/plan - introduce - use, 2. Edition. Schäffer Poeschel, Stuttgart 2004, ISBN 3-7910-2314-4
- Martin Soboll: Procurement marketing for Facility management services, Goettingen 2004, ISBN 3-925327-75-4
Web on the left of
- FMPRO Robert elections Facility management Professional
- history of the Facility management
- extensive link list with study board.de
- IFMA internationally
- IFMA Germany
- of jurisdictions of the FM
- authority development, Runge
- IFMA and FMA Austria
- specialized publication EUWID Facility management
- left for the computer-assisted building management
of study offers
- FH Kufstein Tirol, courses of studies Facility management & real estate economy and Facility management, IFMA certifies
- FH gel churches, specialist area supply and disposal, course of studies Facility management
- university notion (FH) university for applied sciences, course of studies real estate economy & Facility management
- FH-Münster, totally Facility management
- FM academy Baden-Wuerttemberg
- university Albstadt Sigmaringen course of studies Facility management
- Professional school Kufstein course of studies Facility management
- common FM course of studies of the TFH and FHTW in Berlin
- university for would run Sciences and Facility management, Wädenswil
- vocational academy Stuttgart, course of studies Facility management
- FH pour Friedberg with remote study offer