|This article or section requires a revision. Details are indicated on the discussion side. Please to improve it and removes afterwards this marking helps.|
Table of contents
Golo man was the third child of the writer Thomas man and its Mrs. Katia (Family man). It had the impression that its parents did not like it, what by several diary entries is occupied. It has two older brothers and sisters, Erika man and Klaus man, and three younger, Monika, Elizabeth and Michael. Golo man was homosexual, spokehowever never publicly over it.
1933 emigrierte man into Switzerland and afterwards to France. There it stepped a place as a lectorfor German history to the Ecole normal Supérieure in pc. Cloud on and became late lecturer in Rennes. From 1937 to 1940 he was an editor in Zurich.
1940 fled man with its uncle Heinrich man to Spain and from there out into those The USA. There it became from 1942 at professor for history at some universities, at which it taught until 1958. In the same year it placed its German history 19. and 20. Century finished, to today a standard work to this topic.
1958 turned man after Europe back. At the University of Stuttgart it reported on political history. The intended appointment as a tidy professor in Frankfurt/Main became however of max Horkheimer and Theodor W. Adorno end of the 50's prevents.
Since 1961 Golo man worked to the ten-restrained Propyläen Weltgeschichte, which was finished placed 1964. 1965 it was distinguished with the Mannheimer Schillerpreis, 1968 with the book he price. 1971 wrote its most well-known work, the boiling stone to man - biography. It is considered because of their graphic language and its literary quality as masterpiece of the telling historiography.
Although generalconservatively adjusted, man seized a party for the east politics of Willy Brandt into the 1970er years. Later however it supported Franz Josef bunch. 1974 it moderated the television broadcast „Golo man in the discussion with… “.
Few days before its death well-known it itself opposite the reporter Wolfgang Korruhn to its Homosexualität, which it however never realized considerably. Man died to 7. April 1994 in the arms Ingrid of Beck man, who became woman of his adoptive son Hans Beck, and its desire accordingly off the family grave on the Kilchberger cemetery in a Urnengrab bestattet.
prices and honors
- 1964 Schillerpreis of the city Mannheim
- 1968 George book he price
- 1972 Lessing ring with the literary award of the German Freimaurer and large Order of Merit
- 1973 the University of Nantes/France and the medal “Pour le Mérite”
- 1977 Schiller Gedächtnispreis
- 1984 seriousness Robert Curtius price for Essayistik
- 1985 Goethe price of the cityFrankfurt
- 1987 Bodensee literary award and the University of Bath/England
- 1947 Friedrich of Gentz.
- 1958 German history 19. and 20. Century.
- 1964 William II
- 1970 from Weimar to Bonn. Fifty years German republic.
- 1971 boiling stone. Its life tells man of Golo
- 1986 Memories and thoughts. A youth in Germany.
- 1989 we all are, which we read.
- 1992 knowledge and mourning
- Urs Bitterli: Golo man - instance and outsider. A biography. Rowohlt paperback publishing house, Reinbek 2005, ISBN 3-499-24078-5
- Joachim celebration: Meetings, therein a very personal chapter Golo man. Rowohlt paperback publishing house, Reinbek, 2006, ISBN 3-499-62082-0
- Jeroen cook: Golo man and German history. An intellectual biography, Paderborn and others [Schöningh], 1998, ISBN 3506746626
Web on the left of
| | * Literature of andover Golo man in the catalog of the DDB
- time board Golo man on the Website of the Lübecker Buddenbrookhauses
- http://www.wikiservice.at/buecher/wiki.cgi?GoloMann summary page of the book Wiki
|NAME||man, Angelus Gottfried Thomas|
|ALTERNATIVE NAME||man, Golo|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||of German historians, writers and philosopher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||27. March 1909|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|
|DYING DATE||7. April 1994|