Gregor of route
the holy Gregor of route (* 30. November 538 or 539 in Riom with Clermont Ferrand, † 17. November 594 in route) was bishop of route, Kirchengeschichtler and historians. Its famous “history of Franconias” placesan important certification for the transition period between late ancient times and the early Middle Ages .
Table of contents
Gregor was born as Georgius Florentius Gregorius into a distinguished gallo Roman family of the Auvergne. Its father Florentius and its grandfather Georgius were westRoman senators, and its uncle Gallus bishop von Clermont - in lateRoman time hadviele Aristokraten kirchliche Ämter übernommen. Mütterlicherseits was related it on a side to the bishops Sacerdos and Nicetius (French: Nizier) of Lyon, and on the other one with the bishops Tetricus and Gregorius of Langres. From the latter it received its thirdFirst name.
Its father died young, and Gregor became only of its nut/mother in close proximity to Cavaillon and then of its uncle Gallus († 551) as well as the archie deacon and later bishop Avitus educated in Clermont. It received further trainingof its uncle Nicetius in Lyon (Lugdunum), where it was sent 563. During its youth it had different diseases. A Pilgerfahrt to the grave of the holy Martin in the years 562 or 563 healed it allegedly from one of these diseases.
Shortly thereafterit was ordiniert to the deacon and to the Basilika by Saint Julien in Brioude was assigned. It lived there, until it was selected 573 as a successor of its mütterlichen cousin Eufronius to the bishop of route, probably on Veranlassung of the queen Brunichild and the king Sigibert I. of Austrasien.
As a bishop of route Gregor was responsible for one of the most important bishop seats of Gallien. While its episcopacy was Gregor often with the disputes of the Frankish kings confronted, who he geisselte to hesitate without. In particular it offeredthe king Chilperich I. and then the queen Fredegunde the forehead, which responsible it made for the murder of bishop Praetextatus.
It died in route, supposed to 17. November 594, and is admired in route and Clermont as holy.
OneVita of the holy Gregor became in 9. Century of the abbott Odo of Cluny writes.
among the authors of the antique ones, whom Gregor quotes, are to Vergil, Sallust and Plinius, partly in works, which lost todayare. The use of various classical authors is typical for an lateantique author. Theologically Gregor argues both against the Jews and against the Arianer; also different religions - like the Zoroastrismus - are negatively evaluated.
thoseHistory of Franconias
the Hauptwerk of Gregor of route is called usually history of Franconias. It outlasted those in different manuscripts of the Middle Ages, in different versions more or less the original to correspond.
It actually concerns oneChristian universal history, which was called originally as “Decem Libri Historiarum”. Their intention was it to represent the history of the total church in a eschatologischen Christian view from the Erschaffung of the world up to the Frankish kings 572. Is attached a collection ofLebensgeschichten gallischer Heiliger unter dem Namen "Buch der Wunder", das nach 570 entstanden ist.
The work as a whole has an edifying character. Five of the ten books and the book of the miracles are concerned with the merowingischen Gallien, which knew Gregor.The book of the miracles draws a rather dark picture with the stress on the terrible consequences of the actions of certain kings contrary to their Christian ancestors, begun with Chlodwig I..
Due to its central topic the work renamed inHistory of Franconias (Historia Francorum) or acts of Franconias (Gesta Francorum) or, still simple chronicles (Chronicae). In any case one makes it from Gregor the father of a “national history” Franconia, the most important historian of the Merowingerand the main source over the Merowingerzeit.
Latin is languagehistorically interesting, in which the work is written. In the introduction Gregor for its “ungebildete language” apologizes. , Based on classical latin, extremely many errors are actual and/or. Deviationsparticularly within the range of the Kasus - teachings. Therein the transition between latin and the Roman languages is reflected: Latin is identical for Gregor still none foreign language which can be learned, on the other hand nevertheless already no longer to the colloquial language of its time. SomeScholarly ones are the opinion, which classically formed Gregor has itself consciously around it endeavored to find a middle course between classical latin and the people language of its time affected by Frankish dialects.
In the following centuries became the history of Franconias ofunknown authors resumed, which admits as Fredegar and pseudo Fredegar is. The first pressure of the book developed 1561 in Paris.
further ones of works
further ones of works, which are attributed Gregor by route are:
- Paper “for the fame of the martyrs”, collection ofLegend in 107 chapters
- paper “miracle of the holy Julian of Brioude”, a martyr of Brioude in the Auvergne, in 50 chapters
- paper “for the fame of the Bekenner” (in gloria confessorum) into 112 chapters
- paper over the miracles of the holy Martin ofRoute in four books
- notes over the lives of the fathers, those in twenty chapters the history of twenty-two holy ones of the gallischen church contain
- paper over the miracles of the holy Apostels Andreas
- paper over the run of the stars
- comment to thatWere lost to titles
of the Psalmen the following works:
- Paper over the offices of the church
- preface for paper over the fair of Sidonius Apollinaris
- latin translation of the Martyriums that filters from Ephesus
his anniversary is that 17. November.
- Buchner, Rudolf (Hg.): Gregor of route. Ten books stories. Volume III. Due to the translation W. Giesebrechts revises 1955/1956 Gregor of route from Rudolf
- Buchner, Darmstadt: Ten books stories, Bd.1, book 1-5, scientific ones Book company, 1991, ISBN 3534068092
- Gregor of route: Frankish history, 3 Bde. Magnus, meal (1988)
- Krusch, Bruno (Hg.): Gregorii Episcopi Turonensis Historiam Libri X, Hannover2 1951 (MGH SS rer. Merov. 1)
- Bonnet, max: Le latin de Grégoirede route, Hildesheim 1968
- Breukelaar, Adriaan H.B.: Historiography and Episcopal Authority in Sixth Century Gaul. The Histories OF Gregory OF route interpreted in their historical context, Goettingen 1994
- Goffart, walter: The Narrators OF Barbarian History (A.D. 550-800). Jordanes, Gregory OF route,Bede and Paul the Deacon, Princeton 1988
- Heinzelmann, Martin: Gregor of route (538-594). Ten books history. Historiography and society concept in 6. Century, Darmstadt 1994
- Heinzelmann, Martin: Franconias and Frankish history in the perspective of the historiography Gregors of route, in:Historiography in the early Middle Ages, Oldenburg 1994, 326-344
- Luce Petri, La ville de route you IVe siècle outer VIe siècle, coll. École française de Rome, 1983
- Mitchell, Kathleen: Marking the Bounds: The distance Past in Gregory' s History, in: The WorldOF Gregory OF route (Hg. Mitchell, Kathleen; Wood, Ian), suffering/bad clay/tone/Cologne 2002, 295-306
Web on the left of
| | * Literature of and over Gregor of route in the catalog of the DDB
- entry (inclusive Literature data) in the biographic-bibliographic church encyclopedia (BBKL)
- Catholic Encyclopedia: Gregory OF route (English)
- thesis (diploma) of Olivier Caron 1997: Vision et réalités you prince outer travers écrits de Grégoire de route (French)
- manuscript of Gregors history of Franconias, 8. /9. Jh.
- MGH expenditures thatWorks Gregors on-line: and 
|NAME||Gregor of route|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||of Christian holy, bishop of route (starting from 573) and Gallo - Roman historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||30. November 538 or 539|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Clermont Ferrand|
|DYING DATE||17. November 594|