The associated measurements are accomplished terrestrial, with earth satellites and quasars. Their evaluation is based upand the definition, realization and transformation of global and local coordinate systems requires geometrical and physical theories.
The name higher geodesy developed contrary to low geodesy, like one in former times engineer geodesy called (English: Surveying). With the latter one can regard the measurements - Operate still without loss of accuracy as even.
In higher geodesy and the land surveying is however those To always consider Earth's curvature. It constitutes scarcely 1 mm in the height on 100 m, with 1 km already 8 cm. The influences on the situation - measurement become only with somewhat larger distances apparent.
Higher geodesy is divided into some ranges, thosehowever partly overlap. The following organization is usual:
- Mathematical and astronomical geodesy (geometrical procedures)
- physical geodesy and gravimetry (gravity measurement)
- satellite geodesy and land surveying.
- astrogeodesy, astrometry, earth measurement, higher mathematics, Ozeanografie, Satellite Ranging, trigonometry
- earth ellipsoid, Geoid, GRS 80, Gauss Krüger, Potenzial, Schwereanomalie, VLBI
- reference system, fundamental system, earth rotation service, ITRS, World Geodetic system.