Table of contents
Helge Instadt was born in Tröndelag and buildup in mountains . In the twenties it studied jurisprudence and worked some years as a lawyer in Levanger, before it decided, its life to change and for four years as a Trapper to Canada pulled. East of the Great Slave Lake is designated the Ingstad Creek after it. Its 1931 published book Pelsjegerliv (my life in the wilderness) reported of this time and became the best-seller.
1932 went to Ingstad into the policy and became the governor of the area in Greenland that once Eric the red one had heard and the briefly Norwegian territory was. After Norway had to return the area Denmark, it became instead for two years governor of the province Svalbard. There he became acquainted with also his later Mrs. Anne Stine Moe, a studied archaeologist and married her 1941. From the marriage a daughter Benedicte followed, which became also an archaeologist.
The pair established itself in the proximity of the Holmenkollen in Oslo and used this house as basis, even if they undertook again and again expeditions, particularly to North America. 1961 discovered the pair the remnants of the Wikingersiedlungen of L'Anse aux Meadows, which were excavated in the following years under the direction of Anne Stine Ingstad.
In the following years Ingstad was concerned particularly with the evaluation of the material and the writing of books and even a play. It died 101-jährig in Oslo and received a state funeral, with that the Norwegian Statsminister Jens proud mountain the grave speech held and also the Norwegian king Harald V. and queen Sonja were present.
particularly in to 50's the 30's Ingstad different expeditions undertook:
- 50 it wintered to 1936 - 37 it looked for lost “trunk of the Apachen in the Sierra Madre mountains in Mexico and the southern USA for
- Geronimos „, 1949 - with the Nunamiut in the nödlichen Alaska,
- into the 1950er years investigated it together with its wife the Wikingersiedlungen in Greenland, whereby it argued intensively with the altnordischen Sagas and encountered also the reports of Vinland.
end of the 1950er years began Ingstad with the search for the Vinland Leif Eriksons. As only source the Sagas and the secondary literature served over these. During the reading Ingstad encountered William Azariah Munn, which had already assumed 1914 the settlement in Newfoundland the recordings of the Neufundländers, which was not found distant from the place last indicated by Munn end twenty kilometers.
Instead of following this reference, Ingstad looked for only once the entire east coast of Canada and the northern USA off, before he was finally led in Newfoundland from Fischer to some ruins, which applied up to this time as indianischem of origin. Excavations confirmed soon the suspicion that it acted with this ruins origin European around a settlement. The married couple Ingstad had furnished thereby the proof for the truth of the Sagas.
of special books
- Pelsjegerliv, 1931 over its time as Trapper in Canada, German as my life in the wilderness
- Øst for the net curtain bre, 1935 over its time as a governor in East Greenland
- Apache indianerne. Jakten på the tapte comes, 1939, over its time with the Apachen, German as the last Apachen
- lands med de kalde more kyster, 1948 over its stay in Svalbard
- Nunamiut - Alaska innlands more eskimoer, 1951 blant over its experiences with the Nunamiut, German than Nunamiut or flight into the Steinzeit
- land under Leidarstjernen, 1959 over the studies over traces of the Wikinger in Greenland
- Vesterveg til Vinland, 1965 over the excavations in L'Anse aux Meadows, German the first discovery America
- The Norse Discovery OF America, 1985
- Nunamiut Stories, 1987
- The Viking Discovery OF America, 1991
- Klondyke Bill, 1941, German as Klodyke Bill
- Siste båt, uraufgeführt 1946
Songs OF the Nunamiut - collection of Ingstads photo and audio recordings of Inuitgesängen from its time in Alaska
for its discoveries and Schiften was honoured Ingstad by different sides. It received the college in Minnesota to the University of Oslo , Memorial University in Newfoundland and the St.Olav's. In addition it was honour member of the Norwegian science academy and member of the St.Olavs of medal and the Vasaordens.
Web on the left of
| | * Literature of and over Helge Ingstad in the catalog of the DDB
|NAME||Ingstad, Helge Marcus|
|DATE OF BIRTH||30. December 1899|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Meråker|
|DYING DATE||28. March 2001|