1883 he became a professor for moral philosophy at the University of Cambridge. He endorsed higher education for women and created for this purpose 1871 in Cambridge the Newnham college, whose directress 1892 became his Mrs. Eleanor (the sister of the later prime minister Arthur Balfour). As a philosopher Sidgwick represented the direction of the Utilitarismus.
1882 were Sidgwick a give-round the Society for Psychical Research and to 1884 their first (and 1888-1892 third) president.
- The Methods OF Ethics, London 1874 original text
- Principles OF political economy, 1883
- The scope and method OF economic science, 1885.
- Element OF politics, 1891
- The development OF European polity, 1903.
- entry (English) in the Stanford Encyclopedia OF Philosophy (inclusive Literature data)
- articles in the Encyclopaedia Britannica
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||English philosopher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||31. May 1838|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Skripton, Yorkshire|
|DYING DATE||28. August 1900|