Hermann grass man
Table of contents
its father informed at the High School mathematics, physics and drawing and wrote some text books over elementary mathematics. After his school time grass man in Berlin studied theology and classical philology. it received the training capability for the old languages, history , religion, German and French to 1831. In a higher school in Stettin it was allowed to then inform also in the under and central stage mathematics and physics. it placed the request of a check of its physical and mathematical knowledge to 1839 against the school administrative board and wrote 1840 a paper to the theory of ebb-tide and tide, a work of the vector analysis written on high level, which also already covered the vector analysis (inclusion of the vector term in the differential and integral calculus). From this work grass man drew a multiplicity of his mathematical ideas for „the linear expansion teachings, a new branch of mathematics “from 1844. This book was however its time far ahead and is not not simple even today to understand and received therefore in the public no attention.
The universal scholar Gottfried William Leibniz busy itself at its time with the idea not completely prepared by him, the description of one „machine “to make possible for a geometrical illustration alone over algebraic formulas. 1844 were explained the elaboration of this idea as the task of price, the grass man with its writing „geometrical analysis “of 1846 won. 1862 it brought its expansion teachings out completely and in strict form worked on, with which it had in addition, no success.
Hermann grass man died to 26. September 1877 in Stettin.
grass man vector analysis
some basic ideas of grass man vector analysis:
- Relations between spatial sizes can be described assistance of algebraic linkage laws
- view of the distances OFF and BA as opposite sizes of (view negatives in geometry), apart from the length of a distance is now their direction of importance
- in contrast to Hamilton, is grass man to it interests its thoughts since n dimensions to expand
- it applies AB+BC=AC, even if A, B, C are appropriate for the same changes not in
- a straight line if one all elements of a distance (today: Translations) subjects, then the distance of the original resulting from it is alike.
- the computing laws apply:
- Commutative law
- associative law
- distributive law
- the geometrical product of two distances is the area of the parallelogram formed from them
Already the terms of linear dependence and independence, seemed to the basis, the dimension, although among other things names with grass man everything. Grass man speaks the word of distances and sizes, „vector “never occurs with him.
- the science of the extensive size, or the expansion teachings. Tl. 1 u.d.T.: The rulers expansion teachings. Leipzig (1844)
- the expansion teachings: completely and in strict form works on. Berlin (1862)
- text book of mathematics. 2 Bde. Berlin (1861 - 65)
- over the original presence of roots, whose Anlaut and Auslaut contain a Aspirate. In: Magazine for comparative Sprachforschung, Bd. 12, 1863; an important work
- dictionary to [Rigveda]]. Leipzig (1875)
- Rigveda (translation). 2 Bde. Leipzig (1876 - 77)
- http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Grassmann.html biographic information (English)
|NAME||grass man, Hermann Günther|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||of German mathematicians|
|DATE OF BIRTH||15. April 1809|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stettin|
|DYING DATE||26. September 1877|