table of contents
the high Meissner lies between bath Sooden Allendorf (northeast), Eschwege (the east), Waldkappel (the south), hessian Lichtenau (the west) and Grossalmerode (northwest). Together with large parts of the Kaufunger of forest and the Söhrewalds he forms the very extensive nature park Meissner Kaufunger forest.
At the appearing extremely wuchtig high Meissner, which is broad quite strongly wooded, approximately 10 km long and 5 km, the Laudenbach, a supply of the Gelster rises under others the hell brook , a supply of the Berka and.
in the Tertiary period was covered the area by sumptuous forest. From this developed brown coal camp, which was covered by sand and lava. The basalt formations are eroded and once had been much higher by decomposition.
high Meissner - highest mountain in northeast Hessen
the high Meissner is not with its 753.6 m highly rising Kasseler crest the highest collection in North Hesse, even if this is the landläufige and wide-spread opinion in such a way and is represented also in many publications. In northwest Hessen lie some mountains, which are still substantially higher - see for this Upland. Therefore only the highest collection of northeast Hessen is - the Kasseler crest on the high Meissner, which is crowned by a large high plateau, itself in north south direction extended, until 3 km long and 1.5 km is broad and is generally high over 700 m.
mountains & dome-shaped mountain tops
- Kasseler crest (753.6 m)
- Kasseler stone (748 m)
- calf (720 m)
- holy mountain at the Meissner (583 m)
- Bühlchen at the Meissner (537 m)
- Hässelkuppe (515 m)
of different locations on the mountain massif Meissner one can enjoy wonderful views:
- Calf: From that one looks to approximately 720 m high basalt crest over there to the Werratal, to the nature park Eichsfeld Hainich Werratal, in addition the view is enough up to the resin, to the Thüringer forest and to the Rhön. This lookout point is only to foot to reach - e.g. over a path, which begins at the woman hell pond.
- Schwalbenthal: More simply to reach than the evenly mentioned basalt crest calf 100 m below at a strassengabelung a similarly good lookout point is: Only little below the stinking objection already mentioned is a parking lot, of which one from approximately 620 m height a wonderful prospect among other things of that approximately 330 m below lying Meissner - Vockerode (290 m and. NN) to enjoy can, in addition, direction Thuringia over there looks.
- Meissnerhaus: From the southwest side of the mountain one looks approximately 660 m from and. NN lying Meissnerhaus and. A. to the cellar forest, to the Habichtswald and to the Kaufunger forest.
of the Meissner is also in the country of the Mrs. Holle because of the woman hell path. Therefore after this legend shape also a there waters standing under nature protection was designated - the woman hell pond.
mining industry at the high Meissner
the brown coal mining industry began already after 1560, after one had found gloss coal bits so mentioned in a brook, and lasted until 1929 exclusively under-meets on. The coal was promoted for example for the salt simmering enterprise to bath Sooden Allendorf and the large power station to Kassel.
- Stinking objection & Schwalbenthal:
A good reference to the century-long ex mining industry at the Meissner is the stinking objection in such a way specified, which is highly above in the Schwalbenthal at the east slope of the mountain: In former times under-meet there coal diminished. After the mining industry was stopped, to have already centuries ago some seams caught fire there, whose exhaust gases step to the surface. Even in recent time all attempts failed to delete this in the seam fire coal seams present so that one cannot only notice a sulfur-like smell of not completely burned brown coal at the parking lot in the Schwalbenthal often - partly even very strongly. The something below the stinking objection at the mountain-slope standing hotel Schwalbenthal is the last leftover former approximately 10 houses of a comprehensive mining industry settlement, whose houses had to be torn off due to landslides.
- Bransrode (ex open mining)
on the northwest side of the mountain massif was closed 1929 concerning the brown coal dismantling with Bransrode - a former mountain workers' housing estate - the last Untertagestollen, but one began immediately with the basalt - over day dismantling, which was operated there still to 2003.
- Calf (ex open mining)
change of name origin
1913 took place on the high Meissner the first freeGerman youth day the moving bird - movement. Only with this meeting that “Meissner “mountain mentioned was before only gekürt to the “high Meissner”. Relevant Gedenkstein is to be found at the parking lot near the “Meissner house”.
sport and leisure activities
In addition there are many expanded and out-described moving ways, which lead under others across the high plateau of the Meissners.
(coordinates: 51° 12 ′ 28 " N, 9° 50 ′ 50 " O)
the high Meissner is an important sending and place of the hessian broadcast for UKW, TV and medium wave, whereby latter in the equal wave enterprise with the transmitter pointing churches one operates.
Altogether four antenna buildings exist on the high Meissner:
- 220 m a high grounded, removed steel framework mast for UKW and TV
- 155 m a high grounded, removed steel framework mast. This transmitting pole carries a prism aerial for medium wave, directional antennas and reserve antennas of the television station.
- a high Stahlrohrmast as reserve antenna for medium wave 40 m a high free standing
- steel framework tower with antennas for portable radio and reserve antennas for UKW, isolated against earth, until 1995
still another , removed Stahlrohrmast isolated against earth existed to 95 m as transmitting pole for medium wave, to which 1951 one had established.
Web on the left of
Bergstrasse | Mountain angle | Castle forest | Ederbergland | Habichtswald | Hessian Ried | High Meissner | Hüttenberger country | Kaufunger forest | Cellar forest | Knüll | Lahn gau | Lahn Dill mountain country | Main gau | Central Hessen | Central Rhine | Desert forest | Pure hard forest | Rhine Main area | Rhine Neckar triangle | Rhine gau | Rhön | Sour country | Schlierbachswald | Seulingswald | Spessart | Stölzinger mountains | Taunus | Upland | Bird mountain | Forest-hit a corner | Weser mountain country | Weser valley | Westerwald | Wetterau |