Table of contents
lives and working
after the Abitur in Danzig 1873 studied Hugo Conwentz Botanik, among other things with Heinrich Goeppert in Breslau, in Goettingen and again in Breslau. it attained a doctorate to 1876 in Breslau “over the versteinten woods from north Germans the Diluvium “.
In this time the inquiry, the structure of the westPrussian Provinzialmuseums for nature, history reached it, to transfer trades and art to Danzig. With 25 years Conwentz became starting from 1. January 1880 director of museum. To 18. September 1880 opened the museum, which Conwentz managed until 1910.
For its achievements it, that was not allowed to habilitieren because of its school leaving certificate of the six-form high school, received to 21. June 1890 the professor title.
Since it had established the museum to a large extent, Conwentz had dedicated itself again more to its scientific work. 1886 appeared of it answered for second “volume of the Flora of the amber trees “, to 1890 the” Monographie of the Baltic amber trees “.
Starting from 1890 it was occupied ever more with living trees, beginning with the publication “old person of trees in the circle Elbing “. Into this topic the “observations belong over rare Waldbäume in west Prussia “1895, the reports from the” Karthäuser forests “1897 or” over domestic Waldbäume “1898.
Twelve work treats alone the Eibe, among them “the Eibe in west Prussia - a becoming extinct tree “from 1892. A further special field for it was the Elsbeere, which it moved in the writing “over the occurrence of the Elsbeere and red beech “in the year 1899 into the center.
With date of the 1. January 1900 appeared its dendrologisches Hauptwerk, the “Forstbotani noticing book for west Prussia - proof of the beachtenswerthen and urwüchsigen existence, trees and existence in the Kingdom of Prussia, given change on Veranlassung of the Prussian Minister, which can be protected, for agriculture, domains and forests “. The book extends in its effect far over Prussia. For the development of the nature protection movement in Germany and for lasting forest management the confessions, which the author in its preface wrote down, were program. Conwentz broke here a lance for the forest, which he ranks already „among most threatened areas “. It supported the receipt „urwüchsiger trees and bushes “and criticized as one first „the eradication “now experienced in Germany in forestry.
After its lectures at four Swedish universities in the year 1904 Sweden issued a nature protection law. 1904 are also the year, in which Conwentz for its secret advice title received earnings/services. Now it published its memorandum “over the endangerment of the Naturdenkmäler and suggestions on its preservation “, as establishment document of the nationally organized nature protection to be read can and to 1911 four editions deeply felt. The author assigns therein expressly an active role in the nature protection to the state and makes also some suggestions. In this time Conwentz thinks also over it how a subject local history and geography could be integrated into the school teaching.
1907 spoke Conwentz on that 8. International congress for land and forestry in Vienna over the preservation of original forest stands. Until its thoughts interspersed themselves within forestry, some time should however still offense. Before him already God praise and about at the same time as he Heinrich of Salisch similar thoughts had nevertheless represented king. 1909 became it the presidency of the first meeting of the 1. International congress for landscape protection into Paris transfer.
After further journeys Conwentz became 1906 apart from its activity than director of museum a national commissioner, then director of the national place for nature care of monuments in Prussia. The mechanism had first in Danzig, starting from 1910 then as national one place for nature care of monuments in Prussia in Berlin its seat (officially opens at the 3. February 1911). With the removal also its time ended as a director of museum.
it held 1913 invitation of the Russian government the 13. Conference of the natural scientists and physicians in low-read a lecture, in the same year also in Prague and Brünn, where thereafter the establishment of a nature protection organization for Böhmen and Mähren took place briefly.
For the subsequent years are registered further publications, congress, honorary offices and the cooperation at laws. Late, i.e. 1919, followed the marriage with Greta disgust OF.
In the memory of Hugo Conwentz „Hugo Conwentz medal donated by the Federal association vocational nature protection the 1986 “for nature protection and care of monuments annually on the occasion of the German nature protection days one lends - at personalities, that made themselves earned around the nature protection and the landscape conservation in their occupation.
In honours of Conwentz 18 fossil animal and plant types were designated.
- Monographie of the Baltic amber trees, Danzig 1890
- the Eibe in west Prussia, a becoming extinct Waldbaum, Danzig 1892
- observations over its Waldbäume in west Prussia. With consideration of their occurrence generally, Danzig 1895
- the moorland bridges in the Thal of the concern on the border between west Prussia and East Prussia. A contribution to know-eat the natural history and prehistory of the country, Danzig 1897
- concerning the occurrence of the Elsbeere and red beech, Danzig 1899
- Forstbotani noticing book for west Prussia - proof of the beachtenswerthen and urwüchsigen existence, trees and existence in the Kingdom of Prussia, which can be protected. Given change on Veranlassung of the Prussian Minister for agriculture, domains and forests, Berlin 1900
- the endangerment of the Naturdenkmäler and suggestions on their preservation. Memorandum, which Mr. Minister of the religious, instruction and affairs of medicine aluminum presents, Berlin 1904
- the local history and geography at school. Basis and suggestions on the promotion of the nature-historical and geographical local history and geography at school, Berlin 1904
- as a co-author: The Plagefenn with Chorin. And efforts, Berlin used results of fully researching a protected area
- of the Prussian forest administration, Berlin 1912 noticing book for nature care of monuments 1918
- local history and geography and preservation of regional tradition at school. Department 1, Berlin 1922
- Albrecht Milnik: Hugo Conwentz - classical authors of the nature protection. Its Waldweg to the nature protection. 2. , and supplemented edition changed. Boiler, Remagen Oberwinter 2004, ISBN 3-935638-58-2
- roll ago Schoenichen: Nature protection, preservation of regional tradition. Their reason by Ernst Rudorff, Hugo Conwentz and their forerunners. Scientific publishing house company, Stuttgart 1954
- Margarete Boie: Hugo Conwentz and its homeland. A book of the memories. Stone head, Stuttgart 1940
Web on the left of
| | * Literature of and over Hugo Conwentz in the catalog of the DDB
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||of German Botaniker and Naturschützer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||20. January 1855|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||sank Albrecht with Danzig|
|DYING DATE||12. May 1922|