The majority of the Hutterer lives today in Canada (British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan) and in the USA (Washington, Oregon, Montana, north Dakota, south Dakota and Minnesota). Despite removing high-German language authority all Hutterer speaks still Hutteri - dialektal a colored German - as native language and uses an ancient high German as service language.
Table of contents
the special characteristic of the hutterischen movement is the life of their trailers in goods community after the Bible verse from the Apostelgeschichte 2,44: „And all, which had become gläubig there, didtheir whole possession together “.
See also: Urchristliche goods community
which the starting point of their history concerns, appoints themselves the Hutterer together with the others rope far from on the first Gläubigentaufe in Zurich around 1525. They form their own wing within the reformatorischenand in particular also within the taufgesinnten movement. Core of the hutterischen convictions is that humans decide freely on his baptism. The baptism of minor children is rejected strictly and led already in 16. Century for the pursuit of the Täuferbewegung by the lutheranischen, reformed and catholic church. 1529 became the adult baptism with death penalty by emperors Karl V. (HRR) forbade.
By pursuit faith islands of Gleichgesinnten, particularly in Böhmen and Mähren , formed where the Hutterer was welcome because of their diligence and first was not pursued. 1533 became Jakob Hutter the heada community selected and carried out there its conceptions of an God-obliging/pleasing community. Apart from an industrious, keuschen and Bible-faithful life to it above all the idea of the common property belonged. One would arrange the developing municipalities from today's viewpoint as communist groups.
Up to the beginning of the dreissigjährigen warthe hutterische municipality life, the chronicles flowered speaks of „the good years “. Approximately 100 colonies existed at that time with at least 20,000 inhabitants. During the war the friedfertigen Hutterer became again and again a goal of marodierender land farmhands.
1622 instructed the emperor and böhmische king Ferdinand II. (HRR)the Hutterern to go over either to the catholic faith or to leave its country within four weeks. With it the long journey of the hutterischen municipalities began, over which the Balkans they pulled after filter defiency guarantees, where they settled, the country however to 1767 to again leave had. In filter defiency guarantees one pushedGroup from Austrian Transmigranten to the Hutterern. This Transmigranten gave new impulses remaining, to the small community remained. They accepted the offer of a Russian noble one to settle on its country in the Ukraine. They followed thereby the call of the young Russian Zarin Katharina of the large ones , which wanted to settle far uninhabited regions and new settlers and promised their descendants country and free worship.1874 should be introduced also for the Hutterer the compulsory military service, whereupon the Gemeinschafter decided to emigrate to North America.
Over Hamburg and New York the Hutterer followed South Dakota, where they settled again. In the process of the First World War it came to excesses against the German speaking Hutterer. They were associated felt as the German, in addition they refused exercising the military service. Two young Hutterer died, because they refused, uniformsto tighten, and therefore in the winter many hours naked in the free one to spend had. The Hutterer decided to emigrate closed to Canada but dragged on the process of the emigration (sales all its Ländereien, purchase more again in Canada) so long that to the end of the war not yetall possession in the USA was sold.
2005) there are today's settlement areas about 465 Hutterer colonies with approximately 60 to 150 Hutterern per colony. The Hutterer lives almost exclusively in Canada and the USA. Nearly everything this Hutterer comes from the 400Hutterern off, which do not have the Homestead act of 1862 in requirement taken.
The Hutterer immigrating at that time to the USA had only 15 surnames: Decker, Entz, Glanzer, large, Hofer, Kleinsasser, Knels, almond, steel, Tschetter, Waldner, roll ago, Wipf, Wollmann, pepper. Since then only few humans are durableto them pushed.
The Althutterer divides into forgingled (always somewhat more unlocked) under Michael Waldner developed from the colony Bon Homme; Lehrerleut (in former times liberals, today solidified) under Jakopf Wipf developed from the colony Almspring; Dariusleut (relatively conservative) under Darius developed roll ago outthe colony wolf Creek.
Beyond that there was the Prärieleut in such a way specified, approx. 800 that about 1,200 Hutterer immigrated to the 1880er years to the USA. The Prärieleut made the one of the own family for each family from the Homestead at that time act use,managed farm to base wanted, free of charge a piece country assigned, which they had to cultivate within a certain period. The Prärieleut lost however relatively fast its Hutteri identity and then also their Hutteri faith. They seem by the repressive measures during the Second World War against allto exist German-language in the USA as independent group to have finally stopped. Today many mennonitischen churches belong.
The Bruderhöfer or Arnoldleut takes a special role within the hutterischen movement . They were temporarily the Hutterern attached, but are again separate from them since 1995.The Bruderhöfer is from the origin no Althutterer, but their community became in Germany after that 1. World war in the year 1920 of Eberhard Arnold and his Mrs. Emmy Arnold in reflecting ore, Hessen based, where they settled since 2002 with a community again.
Further Neuhutterer is the Murphy Leut in Arizona (the USA), the Juliusleut in Ontario (Canada), the Owa Leut in Japan and the Nigerialeut.
chiefs of the Hutterer
|name||origin||of - to||remarks|
|Jakob Hutter||Tirol||1533 - 1536|
|Hanns Amon||Bavaria||1536 - 1542|
|Leonhard lance style||Bavaria||1542 - 1565|
|Peter Rideman||Schlesien||1542 - 1565||Rideman provided the office for line together with lance style|
|Peter Walbot||Tirol||1565 - 1578|
|Hanns Krael||Bavaria||1578 - 1583|
|Klaus Braidl||Hessen||1583 - 1611|
|Sebastian Dietrich||Württemberg||1611 - 1619|
|Ulrich Jausling||Switzerland||1619 - 1621|
|Valtin winter||Württemberg||1622 - 1631|
|Heinrich Hartmann||1631 - 1639|
|Andreas's Ehrenpreis||1639 - 1662|
|Johannes Rücker||1662 - 1687|
|Johannes moderate||1687 - 1688|
|Kasper Eglauch||1688 - 1693|
|Tobias Bersch||1694 - 1701||Bersch gave the urchristliche goods community around 1700 up.|
|Matthias's helmet||1701 - the 1724|
|Jakobs Wolman||1724 - 1734||in Wolmans term of office to Lewärsch and Sabatisch the child baptism was introduced.|
|Jergl franc||1734 - 1746||franc were set off.|
|Zacharias roll ago||1746 - 1761|| fell roll ago in the pursuit of the hutterischenTeachings off and crossed to|
the Roman-catholic church .
|Heinrich Mueller||1762||Mueller was murdered 1762 by Roman-catholic priests in a monastery.|
|Hänsel Kleinsasser||Kärnten||1762 - 1779|
|Joseph Kuhr||1779 - 1794|
|Johannes Waldner||Kärnten||1794 - 1824|
- source: Excerpt and short passage of our commonGeschichtbuch (Hrsg.: Plough Publishing House, Sussex/England)
- Brednich, Rolf William. The Hutterer: An alternative culture in the modern world. Publishing house Herder, Freiburg/mash gau 1998.
- Wood oh, Michael. The forgotten people: One year with the German Hutterern in Canada.German paperbacks publishing house, Munich 1982.
- Hutterian Brethren (Hg.). Account of unsrer religion, teachings and faith (Ridemans (sic!) Account). Publishing house of the Hutteri brothers common one, Falher (Canada) 1988.
- Länglin, Bernd G.The Hutterer: Prisoner of the past, pilgrim of the present, prophet of the future.Goldmann publishing house, Munich 1991.
- Peter, Victor. The Hutteri brothers 1528 - 1992: The historical and social development of a successful goods community. N.G. Elwert publishing house, Marburg 1992.
- Scheer, Herfried. The German dialect of the Hutteri brothers in North America. Contributions for language island research volume 5. VWGÖ, Vienna 1987.
- Wolkan, Rudolf & Hutteri brothersin America, Canada (Hg.).The large Geschicht book of the Hutteri brothers. Standoff Colony, MacLeod (Canada) 1923.
- Kienzler, Hanna. Gender and communal Longevity among Hutterites: How would hut-guess/advise Women establish, maintain and CHANGE Colony would run. Reports from the Ethnologie. Shaker, Aachen 2005.
- Hofer, John. The HistoryOF the Hutterites. D.W Freisen & Sons Ltd., Altona (Canada) 1982.
- Hostetler, John A. Would hut-guess/advise Society. The John Hopkins University press, Baltimore (the USA) & London (England) 1974.
- Packull, Werner O. Would hut-guess/advise Beginnings: Communitarian of experiment during the reformation. John Hopkins University press, Baltimore(the USA) & London (England) 1995.
- Wipf, Andrew. Would hut-guess/advise telephones & ADDRESS Book. Lakeside Hutterian Brethren, Cranford, STARTING FROM (Canada) 1998.
- „municipality of the blessed ones “, documentary film, 90 min., Germany 2004, direction: Klaus Stanjek, Erstausstrahlung: Second Channel of German Television, best documentary film of the Bozener film days 2005
Web on the left of
|Wikibooks: Developing history of the Hutterer - learning and teaching materials|
|Commons: Hutterer - pictures, videos and/or audio files|
-  the official homepage of the Hutterian Brethren
-  Elmendorf Colony in Minnesota, the USA (Schmiedeleut)
-  good newspaper article over the Hutterer, The forum, 14.11.1999 (Minnesota)
-  „the wiedertäuferischen Hutterer “, lecture with the 50. Meeting of the Humboldt society to 17.12.1997
-  “of the Getzenberg into the Prairie”. One nearly 500jährige history of pursuit, fall and new start.