Interregnum (lat. “Intermediate government)”) designates an interim government or the period, in which such prevails; in particular in choice monarchies the time between resigning or dying a regent and the office admission of its successor.
- In the Roman realm the government of the Interrex.
- In Japan with thatRegentin Jingū in the time of 209 to 270.
- In the history of Germany in approximately the period after the death of Konrad IV. up to the accession Rudolfs of having castle (1254 - 1273), in the William of Holland, Alfons von Kastilien and Richard Cornwallas kings were selected, but no ruler force to exercise were able. Often however the beginning is specified inter+rain around already with 1250 (death Friedrichs II.).
- In the history of Austria the time between becoming extinct the male line of the Babenberger 1246 up to the choice Ottokar Přemysls 1256 to the Austrian duke. The having citizens, who came to the victory Rudolf of have castle in the battle on the Marchfeld 1278 to power, recognized the rule Ottokars however not on, why in many sources also this time is called Interregnum.
- That Osmani Interregnum between 1402 and 1413.
- In the history of Portugal the time between becoming extinct the house Burgund and the accession Johann of advice, 1383 to 1385
- in history Aragoniens the time between death March in I. and the accession Ferdinands I. (1410 - 1412)
- in the catholic church the Sedisvakanz.