James Fenimore Cooper
it wrote both Indian, sea and Grenzerromane and critical essaysand satires over America and Europe. It is considered as a founder of the historical novel in the US-American literature.
Cooper let the name of the nut/mother, add only in the year 1826 the paternal name Fenimore.
Table of contents
Cooper was the son of the judge and wealthy basic owner William Cooper. It buildup in Cooperstown, in the proximity of the Lake Otsego in the State of New York. The landed property of the Coopers, it became on approx. 300000 hectars estimated, was based on the colonization of its ancestors, an English Quäkerfamilie, which had come 1679 to America. To Otsego resound, which was family seat at the same time the political center, in which the Föderalisten of the area met regularly. Coopers nut/mother originated from Sweden. Off1800 received in Albany regularly instruction to Cooper and occurred as 13-jähriger the college Yale, which had the character of a high school at the time at that time rather. Already in the third practical training year it was referred the school, allegedly because of rough mischief. (Kolportiert becomes history, it hasa donkey taught to take on a professor chair place.) with 16 years was it as a sea-cadet on sailing boats of the American navy in the Atlantic on the way. In January 1808 Cooper was appointed the wo1 and got in consequence ship command at the Lake Ontario and at the Lake Champlain. Withits nautical career ended to its marriage 1811.
His Mrs. Susan Augusta came of to the influential New Yorker landed property he family DeLancey. (Contrary to its own family they were Loyalisten.) Cooper busy itself in the following years with the administration of the ererbten Landbesitzes. Allegedly by a coincidence,indeed by a remark, it can write better novels as the English society novels circulating at that time, came Cooper to the literature. This statement did not apply to its first novel Precaution (1820) surely. But its second novel The Spy was already published, the 1821 and, was an enormous success had let the Cooper on own risk print. It is considered as the first important historical novel of the American literature. Spurred by successes, he wrote a multiplicity of novels gradually in the process of approximately 30 years, whereby the fivePolishing with a leather trunk - narrations a special place take.
Coopers love for the sea should remain long received a life. In The pilot (1823) he arranged the historical events of the Kaperkrieges of the American fleet against the Englishmen after. The novel developed after the reading of walter Scotts The Pirate, in which he had discovered numerous nautical inadequacies. Still ten further sea-novels, e.g.The Two of admiral (1842) followed. The category “sea-novel” enjoyed with the American readers also of large interest, because the young American fleet had arisen successfully in the second English-American war quite.
Among other things from 1826 to 1833 was Cooper in Europe, drove social studies, defended in socialcritical writings the American democracy and sat down in The Bravo (1831) with the feudalistischen past apart. It was among other things Consul of the United States in Lyon. Into thoseThe USA returned it changed itself more and more from the America proponent to the America critic. Its skepticism opposite the industrial capitalism - which was suggested already in first of its polishing with a leather trunk novels - he articulated in different critical writings and satires, e.g.A type character ton his Countrymen (1834), TheAmerican Democrat (1838). Sharp, partly insulting attacks against everything and everyone, connected with various court processes lived at its call and to its work strength. Some its works appeared after 1842 (The Redskins 1846) one can call strongly tendencious toward an idealization of the Latifundisten.The championship of its earlier works it did not reach no more.
it is considered as Coopers earnings/services the historical novel in the US-American literature to have justified after the talented Charles Brockden Brown without success had remained. Here it oriented itself at thatScottish writer walter Scott. By the skillful selection of historical events, in which the recent American state in the eyes of its citizens fame and honour had acquired itself (war of independence, second English-American war), strengthened it with its novels the American national feeling and the Patriotismus. Alsothis is considered as substantial to the success, which its books had at the readership. To emphasize also Coopers effort, the Indian figures is in the game killing he novels realistic, neither when “noble savage” nor as inferior to arrange even if the result works partly halfheartedly.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe 1826 The Pioneers read and then in fast consequence further into Weimar available novels Coopers in the original. It praised the independent talent of the writer. Also Honoré de Balzac and Victor Hugo expressed themselves very positively.
The novels Coopers do not please by their art of the wordseparate by broadly action put on and the binding. Often misjudged however becomes the philosophy, which comes in its works to the expression (and for instance by Ludwig the founts one appreciated): already in „The Pioneers “stand the judge Temple and polishing with a leather trunk together against the customless kind, with thatthe settlers with nature go around, as if their treasures are inexhaustible. At the same time however they are in the conflict, because the judge represents the positive right (the civilization), polishing with a leather trunk against it the natural. Thus Cooper described very plastic a basic conflict early America. Critics of its work leadas weaknesses the often adventurously seeming amassment of coincidences in the action, the little convincing representation of the female characters and the partial grotesque gekünstelt working dialogues of the novel heroes on. Also Mark of Twain expressed negative criticism at Coopers works („The Literary Offenses OF James FenimoreCooper “). All of this did however no abort to the world success of its novels. Finally authors rank such as Nathaniel Hawthorne and Herman Melville among his successors.
- Precaution: or Prevention is more better then Cure: ? 1820 (anonymous)
- The Spy. A Tale OF the neutrally Ground: New York 1821
- The pilot: ? 1823
- The Pioneers; or theSOURCEs OF the Susquehanna. A Descriptive Tale: New York 1823 (German: “Polishing with a leather trunk or the pioneers “)
- Lionel Lincoln: ? 1825
- The load OF the Mohicans. A Narrative OF 1757: Philadelphia 1826 (German: “The last Mohikaner “)
- The Prairie: Londonand Philadelphia 1827 (German: “Game plates or the prairie “)
- The talk Rover: ? 1827
- of emergency ion OF the Americans: ? 1828
- The Wept OF wipe-on-wipe: ? 1829
- The Water Witch: ? 1830
- The Bravo. A Venetian story: London 1831
- TheHeidmauer; Or the Benedictines: London 1832
- The Headsman; Or, the Abbaye of the Vignerons: London 1833
- A type character ton his Countrymen: ? 1834
- Sketches OF Switzerland: 3 Bde. ? 1836
- Gleanings in Europe: 5 Bde. ? 1837/38
- The American Democrat:? 1838
- History OF the Navy: ? 1839
- The Pathfinder; or the inland Sea: London and Philadelphia 1840 (German: “The pathfinder “)
- The Deerslayer, or the roofridge Warpath: Philadelphia 1841 (German: “That game-dead “)
- The Two of admiral: ? 1842
- Ned Myers, or A would run before the fattening: ? 1842
- The Littlepage Manuscripts: 1845/46 London and New York
- The Chainbearer
- The Redscins
- The Sea Lions: ? 1848
- The Oak Openings: ? 1848
- The Crater: ? 1848
- The Works: 12 Bde. New York 1849/51
- such: 32 Bde. New York 1859/61
Web on the left of
|Wikiquote: James Fenimore Cooper - quotations|
| | * Literature of and over James Fenimore Cooper in the catalog of the DDB
- pictorial Kurzbiographie Coopers with summary of„The last Mohikaner “
- listing of the works James Fenimore Cooper Society
- (English), existing with the Project good mountain
- , bibliography the California State University Stanislaus (English)
- James Fenimore Cooper with bibliographies
- James Fenimore Cooper in: Beautiful old youth books
- Thomas R. Lounsbury: James Fenimore Cooper.6th edition. Bad clay/tone, Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1886 (American Men OF Letters). 11-MT pdf in the Arno Schmidt Referenzbibliothek
- James Fenimore Cooper: Correspondence OF James Fenimore Cooper. Edited by his Grandson. New Haven: Yale University press, 1922. 28-MB-PDF into the Arno Schmidt Referenzbibliothek
works on German in the Web
- The border inhabitants or: The wept one of wipe-clay-wipe. 17-MB-PDF; German type Reprint into the Arno Schmidt Referenzbibliothek
- the Monikins. 17-MB-PDF; German type Reprint in the Arno Schmidt Referenzbibliothek
- Satanstoe, or the family Littlepage. 22-MB-PDF; German type Reprint into the Arno Schmidt Referenzbibliothek
- the Wassernixe or strike ago by the seas. 19-MB-PDF; German type Reprint in that Arno Schmidt Referenzbibliothek
|NAME||Cooper, James Fenimore|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||of US-American writers|
|DATE OF BIRTH||15. September 1789|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Burlington, new jersey|
|DYING DATE||14. September 1851|
|DYING PLACE||Cooperstown, New York|