events of the day
- Haiti/haven outer Prince to 200. Independence day came itheavy unrests, which with shots against the president Jean Bertrand Aristide began and its South African colleague Thabo Mbeki, policemen of both countries answered the fire. How many humans died, is so far unclear.
- Indonesia/Aceh. With a bomb assassination attempt on a New Year's Eve Party nine cameHumans around the life, about 40 were hurt. The rebel organization “free Aceh” and the army push over themselves the debt to it mutually.
- Colombia. With fights between rebels and Paramilitärs in the north of Colombia at least 40 humans, among them also some civilians were killed.
- Ireland/Dublin. The council presidency of the European Union regular went at Ireland. Prime Minister Bertie Ahern expressed itself confidently to future tasks and problems, although he not so that had counted to have the Verabschiedung of the European condition on the agenda.
- Kiribati. Like each year the inhabitants were that Pacific island Kiribati first, which was allowed to welcome the new year. One hour later struck it in Wellington (New Zealand) and again two hours later also in Sydney (Australia) midnight.
- the USA/Washington, D.C.. US president George Bush threatens Teheran with a continuation of the political sanctions. It stresses that the heavy earthquake in Bam and the associated assistance cannot be an alternative to political measures in Iran.
- France/Paris. Federal Chancellor Gerhard Schröder becameas the first German president invited to the anniversary of the troop landings of the allied armed forces in normandy (D-Day). This year becomes the 60. Anniversary of the intervention against Adolf Hitler celebrated.
- Mars. After one over 480 million kilometers are enough for journey, which took seven months, lands at 5.35 o'clock MEZ the 173 kilograms heavy NASA - probe mirror-image-guessed/advised (MER-A) south the equator in the Krater Gusev. Mirror-image-guessed/advised is three months long after traces of water and therebylook for the possibility of lives on Mars.
- Niue. The cyclone Heta devastatesthe Pacific island Niue heavily. At least one humans lost his life, over 200 of the 1500 island inhabitants became shelterless.
- Bishop yards. The Norwegian Sigurd Pettersen won surprisingly the four-digging tour.
- Austria/Salzburg. Federal Chancellor Wolfgang dish communicates the agreement of the coalition over the second stage of the tax revision .
- Tschechien/Liberec. The Finn Janne Ahonenwon the second Worldcup in the ski jumping.
- Iran/Teheran. The Iranian guard advice forbade the candidacy of 877 reform politicians with the lining up parliamentary election. The governors of all 27 provinces threatened in an open letter at president Mohammad Chātemī with resignation, should not the prohibition not withinone week to be withdrawn (see also 22. January).
Monday, 12. January
- Belgium/Brussels. After the plans of the European Union commission the brand names larva in Germany are to be examined , larva in Italy. These are then by the label larva into theEuropean union to be replaced. The industry protests already violently against the plans of European Union commissioner Lamy.
Tuesday, 13. January
- Usbekistan/Taschkent. A passenger plane fell during the approach on Taschkent. 36 humans died. The crash is on very badTo lead back view in the region.
- India. Belas Lakra, bishop and moderator of the Evangelical-Lutheran pouring he church in Chotanagpur and Assam, died at the age of 64 years.
Wednesday, 14. January
- the USA/Washington, D.C.. The US president George W. Bush gives in oneSpeech before NASA of plans for the further development of space travel of its country admits. These contain among other things the establishment of a permanent station on the moon and manned flights to Mars.
Thursday, 15. January
Friday, 16. January
- India/Mumbai. World social forum with ten thousands present globalization critics began.
- The USA/Maryland. NASA - Boss Sean O'Keefe communicated on Friday in the Mars resounding center that the next repair flight to the Hubble - telescope is painted. The necessary space shuttle become in the future for the further development of the international space station EAT necessarily. Given thus indirectly the end of the overall project admits. Effects on the planned follow-on project James Webb space Telescope, that in the year 2011 Hubble
Saturday, 17. January
- Germany/Frankfurt/Main. Like the news magazine of the mirrors first inreported to its expenditure for on-line, is a coworker dismissed meanwhile corpse-looks body worlds corpses of execution victims from the People's Republic of China in receipt to have taken. The exhibition of Gunther of Hagens gastiert at present in Frankfurt/Main.
Sunday, 18. January
- Africa. Federal Chancellor Gerhard Schröder began an one-week diplomatic journey by the continent in Ethiopia.
Monday, 19. January
Tuesday, 20. January
- Iowa. In the first preselection around the candidacy of the democratic presidency candidate senator John Kerry before John Edward wins andthat so far as favorite valid Howard Dean. Thickly Gephardt on rank four communicated its task.
- Iraq/Bagdad. For days Iraqis for imminent elections and a delivery of the former president Saddam Hussein demonstrate to Iraqi authorities.
- Kenya. With a meeting in NairobiFederal Chancellor Gerhard Schröder Kenya president Mwai Kibaki promises a doubling of the financial assistances on 50 millions EUR for 2004 and 2005.
- UN. UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan wants examine to let whether preferred elections in the Iraq still in this year is possible. Thus the UN engages itselfagain more, however differently than of US president George W. Bush demanded.
Wednesday, 21. January
- Germany/Kaiserslautern. An enormous gas explosion at the night in a fünfgeschossigen living and firm in that emperor-louder city center has a total damage of round according to first estimations1,5 million euro arranged. 2 persons were partially heavily hurt by the pressure wave and flying around articles. Many buildings in the closer periphery of the accident scene were damaged. From the building several persons were brought by the urban fire-brigade over trick and Schiebeleitern in security. There afterthe explosion still large quantities natural gas, the surrounding houses leaked out had to be evacuated. For days constant operational readiness level was and again and again active intervention necessary after the explosion in the city centre of the fire-brigade. Approximately 50 member of occupation and Freiwilliger fire-brigade was in the employment usemerged.
Thursday, 22. January
- People's Republic of China/Xinjiang. Thousands of humans were evacuated from the environment of a dam, by the water from an eight meters large hole shot. Fields and houses were flooded. According to authority data there were so far no victims inthe province Xinjiang very cold at time.
- Iran/Teheran. The conservative guard advice in Iran has further reform-oriented candidates for the parliamentary elections in February certified. Thus of clerics existing the advice gave way to the pressure of the government Chātemī and from reformerischen delegates.
Work on 
Friday, 23. January
- India/WAD-race. With a fire in a festival room in India up to 45 guests of a wedding celebration died. Also the bridegroom died with the fire. More than 100 humans suffered injuries.
- Germany/Darmstadt: The EuropeanSpace probe Mars express discovered ice and water on Mars. Instruments on board the probe proved water vapour in the atmosphere. In addition ice at the South Pole Mars was constituted.
- For the first time with Atal Behari Vajpayee received today an Indian prime minister rebel from Kashmir.The discussion is to bring an end to the force in the disputed region.
Saturday, 24. January
- Ghana/Accra. Gerhard Schröder terminates its Africa - journey.
- Germany/Berlin. The Federal Government dismisses the chief executive of the federal agency for work Florian Gerster.
- Germany/Iron mountain. A bus accident in Thuringia demands three human lives.
- Germany/Stuttgart. Bolz price for Hitler - historian Joachim celebration.
- Germany / Stuttgart. With a use of 3,75 euro a woman from Baden-Wuerttemberg wins the highest win in Lotto of all times: 20.233.178, 20 euro.
- The USA/Cupertino. Apple Macintosh celebrates his 20. Birthday.
Sunday, 25. January
- the USA/Pasadena. NASA announces that the probe Opportunity (MER-B) on Mars landed. Opportunity is the sister probe of mirror-image-guessed/advised (MER-A); both belong to Mars to the exploration RoverMission (2003/2004).
- Switzerland/Davos. Globalization critics are attacked at the edge of the World Economic of forum by right-wing extremists.
Monday, 26. January
- in the USA explained a Richterin of parts of the Patriot act for unconstitutional. The Ministry of Justice examined at the same time the possibility of an objection.
- The computer worm Mydoom spread world-wide in fast extent and led for a few hours to an on the average 10-per cent slowing down of Internet traffic and a twice as long load time of the web pages.
- Germany/Berlin. The Lower House decides a new school law that in February 2004 into force steps.
Tuesday, 27. January
Wednesday, 28. January
Thursday, 29. January
- Switzerland/Vernate TI. The Austrian actor O. W. Fischer died in Vernate at the Luganersee at the age of 88 years.