It concerns with „Jesus Christ “first a confession formula, which forms a Greek nominal rate without verb from the gräzisierten form of the Hebrew first name Jeschua and the Greek translation of the Hebrew title Maschiach ( Messiah eingedeutscht): „Jesus (is) Christ, the Messiah “. This confession formula is all authors of the new will, which its high age and their importantness for the early Christianity suggest.
Whether it already developed during lifetimes Jesu, and whether Jesus held itself for the Messiah, like it the newWill stated, is violently disputed in the research. Anyhow the formulation with large probability up to the Jerusalemer Urgemeinde can be led back and is an integral component of the urchristlichen Kerygmas (see. Apg 5.42 it did not stop,… Jesus as the Christto verkündigen Elberfelder revised translation). Already the first generation of the Christians understood the formula Jesus Christ as one „names “for Jesus in the sense it of God lent of an honour title (see. the Philipper Hymnus Phl 2.5-11), which thoseearly baptizing formula „in the name Jesu Christi “(Apg 2.38) close puts.
Abbreviations and Christ mono gram
the name “Jesus Christ” one shortens in the antique and modern texts in numerous way. In 4. to 6. Century was usual it, as Christ mono gram a cross-settingthe two first letters of the Greek Christos, X (CH) and P (R), to use every now and then (after Apokalypse 1, 8, 11) enclosed of the first and last letter of the Greek alphabet, Α and Ω.
As Christ mono gram from old time is to be also understoodthe formula ΙΧΘΥΣ (ichthys), those from the initial letters of the Greek words Iesus Christós Theu Yiós Soter (i.e. Jesus Christ, God son, welfare and). This abbreviation becomes often picture light by a fish (Greek ichthys).
The abbreviation IC XC was later (Greekfor IS Chs) likes. In 15. Century arrived to IHS (Greek for Ies) by Bernhardin from Siena to large reputation, which set up a board with this signature mark in golden letters with its lectures. This became in 16. Century the medal character that Jesuiten and at the same time interpreted as abbreviation of Iesus Hominum Salvator (i.e. Jesus, humans welfare and) or in Hoc Signo of vinces.
- for the name components see the articles Jesus (name) and Christ.
- For the historical person Jesus see the articles Jesus of Nazaret and life Jesu research.
- For the most important statements of the new will to this person see the article Jesus Christ in the new will.
- For the Biblical conception from the Messiah to this person see article Messiah (Christianity).
- Forlater theological reflection to this person see the articles Christology and Soteriologie.
- For the meaning of this person for other religions see the articles Jesus outside of the Christianity and Isa (prophet).
- For speculations to this person see articles Speculative theories about Jesus of Nazaret.