|of play hand:||On the left of|
|1. Professional season:||1972|
|highest placement:||1 (29.07.1974)|
| Grand Slam balance|
|Australian open||S (1974)|
|French open||HF (1979, 1980, 1984,1985)|
|Wimbledon||S (1974, 1982)|
|U.S. Open||S (1974, 1976, 1978, 1982, 1983)|
Connors, that at the age of 43 years its last playon the professional route, won in its career altogether 8 Grand Slam denied - tournaments in the single and 2 Grand Slam tournaments in the double. Connors terminated five years in consequence (1974-1978) one season at the point of the tennis world rank list and was altogether 263 weeks the number 1 of the world rank list, of itthe record number of 160 weeks in consequence. The American, who was characterised particularly in its recent years by its disputed behavior on and beside the tennis court, was one of the dominating tennis players and of the early 80's 70's.
In altogether 25 professional years Connors 105 could Tournaments in the single competition and 15 titles in the double win, among them five times US open, twice Wimbledon and once the Australian open. Only success with the French open, where it failed altogether four times in the semi-final, remained Connors in its career refused.Additionally it won once Masters and reached 1984 the Davis Cup final with the American crew. In its balance 1222 won plays face 269 lost plays.
Table of contents
Jimmy Connors professional career began in the season 1972, after it had won the American college championship in the single in the years before among other things and as an amateur already in several Grand Slam tournaments participated.The break-through on the professional route succeeded to the American already in its debut season, in which it could win equivalent five tournaments. In the season 1973 eleven further titles, in addition also the double title in Wimbledon followed. But also off the place Connors provided for headlines, byit its entrance into the again created player company ATP refused and a majority of the important season tournaments omitted. Instead it played on a tournament series put on by its manager Bill Riordan again.
On the tennis court Connors seized pretty often to unpopular methods, by he the public approximatelyits opponent incited and arbitrators and contractors often insulted. 1974 signed the American a play contract for the World team tennis play series, whereupon he became closed from the ATP for the French open. Connors and Riordan reacted with a complaint against the combination and their president Arthur Ashe with the reason that the ATP would limit it in its Spielfreiheit. The French open the only Grand Slam tournament of the season was actual 1974, the Connors not for itself to decide could and the barrier possibly did not prevent the first Grand Slam profit of a player since Rod Laver in the year 1969. While the season 1974 Connors could the top position in in the previous year the introduced tennis world rank list also for the first time take and this equal for position for to today unequalled record number of 160 weeks hold.
In its fourth professional season Connors reached 1975 with allGrand Slam tournaments, in which he began as title carrier, again the final, lost however all three final meetings, with the Australian open should the American thereafter even never again begin. The double title with US open was only located finally in its Grand Slam success balance of the yearly. In the finalfrom Wimbledon it came to an medium-effective duel, since Connors on Arthur Ashe, whom met chairmen of the player combination. Ash could win the play in four sentences and only short time withdrew Connors its complaints later and separated from manager Riordan. 1976 followed thatfourth Grand Slam triumph for Connors, which with US open Sweden Björn borrow defeat could. Although the controversy with the ATP was smoothed, Connors provided further for negative headlines. Thus he refused in the season 1977 at a meeting for the celebration dog firstAnniversary of the tournament in Wimbledon to participate and one ausgebuht in the consequence with his Turniermatches. It reached the final of the Wimbledon tournament nevertheless, where it Björn borrow had this time however been subject. In the same season Connors could win the season-locking thing of Masters also for the first time (where it inthe years 1974-76 despite successful qualification had not begun).
1978 reached Connors two further Grand Slam Finals. In Wimbledon it was again Björn borrows underlaid, but in the final to the American the successful revenge succeeded to US open against Sweden and third US open triumph of itsCareer. It should be for Connors the last Grand Slam titles for the next nearly four years. In the years 1979-81 Connors played further successfully with four large tournaments and could with 9 tournament participation, eight times in the semi-final play itself, could this hurdle howeverall attempts do not overcome. Only in the season 1982 Connors succeeded (after the loss of the world rank list point to 9. April 1979 only still for few weeks to this position to return should) the renewed step into a major final. In the duel against the younger AmericanJohn McEnroe in the final of Wimbledon could bring Connors in by a five-sentence success the sixth Grand Slam triumph of its career. Later in the season the fourth title followed with US open, this time in the final against Ivan Lendl. Against Lendl Connors should in the following year with thatUS open also the first successful title defense with a Grand Slam tournament in its career succeed. At the same time it was however also the last large tournament victory for Connors, which reached 1984 again the final in Wimbledon, there however against John McEnroe only whole four play gainsin the match process to achieve could. 1984 succeeded to the American also the third jump into the semi-final of the French open, where however, as also in the following year, a defeat followed.
It should last up to the season 1988 that Connors win again a tournament on the ATP routeand from the once so aggressive player a respected, older personality on the route could had become. Much attention found its success series for this reason also with US open in the season 1991 (after it had denied 1990 of only three tournament plays and already openlyabout a Karrierende was spoken), to be underlaid when he penetrated in the semi-final, in order there finally the title defender and compatriot Jim Courier. Into the season 1996 inside Connors played still isolated tournaments on the route, to it finally after 25 professional years its careerterminated.
In the year 1998 Jimmy Connors to “internationally the tennis resound to OF Fame” taken up.
in the 70's provided a relationship between Connors and the number at that time 1 of the woman world Mrs. Chris Evert for attention. It came to an engagement, those1975 were again dissolved. Three years later Connors Patti McGuire married with which it two children has, his son board and its daughter Aubree Leigh. The family lives in Santa Barbara, California.
statistics and records
conditions: 17. April 2006
- with 105 single titles regards the record to Connors as most tournament victories in the single competition.
- 160 weeks one behind the other was Connors the number 1 of the world rank list, an achievement, which since then no more other player could achieve. Altogether Connors stood 263 weeks at the point of the world rank list, only for Pete Sampras (286) and Ivan Lendl (270) were more successful.
- Connors is the only player, that US openin his career on three different linings to win could. 1974 it won the tournament delivered on Rasenplätzen, 1976 triumphierte it on sand and in the years 1978, 1982 and 1983 at hard place.
- With 5 years, which it could terminate at the point of the world rank list, liesConnors at place 2 of the good list. Only Pete Sampras was more successful, to which this succeeded in 6 years.
- With 1222 professional victories Connors holds the record in the list of the players with most professional match successes.
- Connors regards the long-term records approximately as various statistics around the tennis world rank list. Sothe American of the players is with most years among the best two players of the world rank list (8), most years under the Top three of the world rank list (12), the Top four (14), as well as the Top Ten (16), Top-50 (18) and Top-100 (19 years). It divides the last three recordsitself with its compatriot Andre Agassi.
Grand Slam of successes
of victories (8)
year Tournament Final opponent Final result 1974 Australian open Phil Dent 7-6, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 1974 Wimbledon Ken rose barrier 6-1, 6-1, 6-4 1974 US open Ken rose barrier 6-1, 6-0, 6-1To 1976 US open Björn borrow 6-4, 3-6, 7-6, 6-4 1978 US open Björn borrow to 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 1982 Wimbledon John McEnroe 3-6, 6-3, 6-7, 7-6, 6-4 1982 US open Ivan Lendl 6-3, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 1983 US open Ivan Lendl 6-3, 6-7, 7-5, 6-0
final defeats (7)
year Tournament Final opponent To final result 1975 Australian open John Newcombe 7-5, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5 1975 Wimbledon Arthur Ashe 6-1, 6-1, 5-7, 6-4 1975 US open Manuel Orantes 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 1977 Wimbledon Björn borrow 3-6, 6-2, 6-1, 5-7, 6-4 1977 US openGuillermo Vilas 2-6, 6-3, 7-5, 6-0 1978 Wimbledon Björn borrow to 6-2, 6-2, 6-3 1984 Wimbledon John McEnroe 6-1, 6-1, 6-2
|of tournament victories||(0)||(0)||5||11||14||9||12||7||10||7||6||4||7||4|
|world rank list||(-)||(-)||-||3||1||1||1||1||1||of 2||3||3||2||3|
results in parentheses= statistics from amateur years
|world rank list||2||4||8||4||7||14||936||48||84||363||,673||,419||1303|
number = 1. - 3. Tournament round; AF = round of the last sixteen; VF = quarter final; HF = semi-final; F = final; S = tournament victory;
tournament victories (105)
- 1972 (5)
- Queens, Columbus, Cincinnati, Albany,Jacksonville
- 1973 (11)
- Roanoke, Baltimore, Salisbury, Paramus, Hampton, salt Lake town center, Columbus, bad clay/tone, Quebec, Los Angeles, Johannesburg
- 1974 (14)
- Australian open, Roanoke, Little skirt, Birmingham, Salisbury, Hampton, salt Lake town center, Tempe, Wimbledon, Indianapolis, US open, Los Angeles, London, Johannesburg
- 1975 (the 9)
- Bahamas,Birmingham, Salisbury, Boca Raton, Hampton, Denver, North Conway, Bermuda, Maui
- 1976 (12)
- Birmingham, Philadelphia, Hampton, Palm jump, Denver, read Vegas, Washington, North Conway, Indianapolis, US open, Cologne, Wembley
- 1977 (7)
- Birmingham, pc. Louis, read Vegas, Dallas, Maui, Sydney indoor, Masters
- 1978 (10)
- Philadelphia, Denver,Memphis, Rotterdam, Birmingham, Washington, Indianapolis, Stowe,US Open, Sydney Indoor
- 1979 (7)
- Birmingham, Philadelphia, Memphis, Tulsa, Indianapolis, Stowe, Hong Kong
- 1980 (6)
- Birmingham, Philadelphia, Dallas, North Conway, China, Tokyo Indoor
- 1981 (4)
- La Quinta, Brüssel, Rotterdam, Wembley
- 1982 (7)
- Monterrey, Los Angeles, Las Vegas,Queens, Wimbledon, Columbus, US open
- 1983 (4)
- Memphis, read Vegas, Queens, US open
- 1984 (5)
- Memphis, La Quinta, Boca of west, Los Angeles, Tokyo indoor
- 1988 (2)
- Washington, Toulouse
- 1989 (2)
- Toulouse, Tel Aviv
Web on the left of
| | * Literature ofand over Jimmy Connors in the catalog of the DDB
|ALTERNATIVE NAME||Connors, Jim; Jim Connors; James Scott Connors; Connors, James Scott|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||of former US - American tennis - professional|
|DATE OF BIRTH||2. September 1952|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Belleville, Illinois|