Huizinga comes of to a mennonitischen Predigerfamilie and studied first indogermanistische literature history and in the Nebenfach history. Between 1905 and 1915Huizinga was a professor for general and Netherlands history in Groningen. 1915 he transferred the chair for general history to suffering and taught there up to the locking of the university by the German Besatzer 1940. Officially it was emeritiert in the spring 1942. During German occupation thatThe Netherlands in the Second World War it became from August to October 1942 in the hostage camp pc. Michielsgestel interns. Subsequently, it was allowed to return not to suffering and settled with its second wife and its youngest daughter in De Steeg with Arnheim.
Huizingas historical understanding is culture-historically accented,he understands historiography as graphic-intuitive mentality and/or. Culture history. Its most well-known work is the autumn of the Middle Ages, in which the late bloom knightly culture at the yard of the dukes is described by Burgund (see house Burgund).
Besides it published a history of the Groninger university in 19. Century, two books concerning the USA, a biography of the Erasmus of Rotterdam, a biography of the Netherlands artist January Veth, a representation of the Netherlands culture of the“golden” 17. Century as well as two writings, which concerned themselves culture-critically with social developments of the present.
Beside its Professur held Huizinga numerous other functions. From 1915 to 1932 Huizinga was an editor of the magazine De Gids, one of the most steeped in tradition culture magazines of the Netherlands. 1916 it became memberthe royal Academy of Sciences in Amsterdam and 1929 chairmen of the spirit-scientific class. In the twenties he was Netherlands consultant of the Laura Spelman Rockefeller Memorial of the Rockefeller Foundation and bereiste in this characteristic 1926 three months long American education and science mechanisms. 1932/33 was itRector of the Leidener university. 1933 it became member of the Commission international one de Coopération Intellectuelle of the Völkerbunds.
- Léon Hanssen among other things (Hrsg.): Briefwisseling (exchange of letters). Edition Veen, Utrecht
- autumn of the Middle Ages. Studies over life and spirit forms 14. and 15. Century in France and in the Netherlands, Stuttgart: A. Kröner 1987, ISBN 3-520-82501-5
- Homo Ludens. Of the origin of the culture in the play, Reinbek: Rowohlt 2004, ISBN 3-499-55435-6
- Verzamelde works (Netherlands expenditure for work). Tjeenk wanting Inc., Haarlem
- 1. - Oud Indië, Nederland. 1948
- 2. - Nederland. 1948
- 3. - Cultuurgeschiedenis I. 1949
- 4. - Cultuurgeschiedenis II. 1949
- 5. - Cultuurgeschiedenis III. 1950
- 6. - Biografie. 1950
- 7. - Geschiedwetenschap, Hedendaag Cultuur. 1950
- 8. - Universiteit, Wetenschap EN art. 1951
- 9. - Bibliografie EN register. 1953
Web on the left of
|Wikiquote: Johan Huizinga - quotations|
| | * Literature of and over Johan Huizinga in the catalog of the DDB
- Entry (inclusive Literature data) in the biographic-bibliographic church encyclopedia (BBKL)
- http://cf.hum.uva.nl/~huizinga/opzet/index_ie.htm (Huizinga Instituut, Amsterdam, NL)
- ring-back signal and bibliography, down country.
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||of Netherlands culture historians|
|DATE OF BIRTH||7. December 1872|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Groningen, the Netherlands|
|DYING DATE||1. February 1945|
|DYING PLACE||with Arnheim|