Junkers Ju 87
the Junkers Ju 87 was a single-engine low-wing aircraft with rigid chassis and two men crew, manufactured by the German aircraft manufacturer Junkers. Its major task existed in the execution of precise bomb attacks at day in the context of tactical employments. Some variants becamein later years also than battle airplanes used.
For this machine, which admits particularly by its employment as dive bomber (dive bomber) became, the pronounced cranked wings were typical. The drive took place via a 12-Zylinder V-engine, type Junkers Jumo 210 or 211. The first flight took place to 17. September 1935. It existed a very large number of different series. Between 1939 and 1944 4,881 pieces were manufactured, altogether about 6,000 starting from 1936.
So that did not damage bomb the dropped that dive bomber the propeller, it became direct before the release from carrier arms tobelow the propeller circle swung out. Further characteristics were a dive mechanism (starting from B-2) with an intercepting mechanism, which pulled the airplane automatically after releasing the bomb from the dive. This should prevent a crash by Blackout of the pilot. In order to strengthen the psychological effect of the fall attacks, were attached at both chassis legs sirens, which carried the surname “Jericho trumpets “.
After initial successes by the blitzkrieg - tacticsunakzeptable losses adjusted themselves with with the Ju 87 equipped combat forces in the process of the air battle around England with attacks against goals in Südengland. The causes for this were the low speed and the light defense armament of the Ju 87. The airplane could as strategic bombersto be only effectively used, if the escort protection were ensured by fighters, what did not succeed to the Air Force against the Royal air Force.
The Ju 87 thereupon at the east front as dive bomber and as battle airplane assigned. Special tank hunters - version was instead of with bombs with two37-mm-Panzerabwehrkanonen arms. This tank hunter was used first by the unit led by Hans Ulrich herd. Hans Ulrich herd destroyed 519 hostile tanks in its war career.
Despite everything the Junkers Ju 87 was the most successful dive bomber 2. World war. Particularly 1939 and 1940 was it an extremely effectiveWeapon, which had to owe their call not least to German propaganda. A characteristic example for this was - off the Wochenschauen - the 1941 of the UFA produced war film “dive bombers”.
Altogether only 2 complete Ju 87 exist.
In Germany a damaged Ju is 87 in the car & technique museum in Sinsheim to see . In addition possessedthe technical museum Berlin two destroyed copies, about which one sells to a Privatmann, which is further publicly accessible others.
To table of contents
technical data (Ju 87B-2)
- length: 11,10m
- height: 3.90 m
- span: 13.80 m
- wing surface: 31.9 m ²
- max. ones. Takeoff weight: 4,250 kg
- engine: a Junkers Jumo 211Da engine with 882 KW/1,200 HP
- of maximum speed: 380 km/h
- service ceiling: 8,000 m
- range: 600 km with bombs
- Ju 87C:
- Ju 87B with equipment for the employment on the aircraft carrier “count Zeppelin”
- back-built after failure of the carrier project conditions Ju 87B
- Ju 87R: R like “smelling pool of broadcasting corporations” or range
- Ju 87B with 250 a kg bomb and auxiliary tank under each wing for double range
- Ju 87D: D like “Dora” - usually-built model row
- more aerodynamic Redesign with partially larger span (starting from D-5 with ~15 m)
- armoring was improved and the maximum weight on ~6.500 kg increases
- engines of 1.300 to 1,500 HP and more fuel capacity for ~1.400 km range
- The bomb load was increased on up to 1.800 kg, and the mobile mg 15 by a mobile 7,92-mm-Zwillings-MG mg 81Z often
- replaces battle flier versions with two 20 mm of cannons mg 151/20 instead of the mg 17 in wing break
- the Ju 87G: G like “Gustav” -also battle flier admits no
- bomb taking along and no MGs in the wings range of the Ju 87D based on armament other with
- two 37 mm of cannons UC 3.7 under the wings such as Ju 87D however easily
- below the Ju 87D at ~1.200 km Ju 87H
- as a tank breaker: H like “Heinrich”
- training course airplane with two taxes, from the Ju 87 D come out