a candidate or a candidate is a person, who applies with a choice for a mandate. Also who applied in a selective procedure for a public office, a place or a price or from other reasons is considered, becomescandidate (candidate) calls.
The designation “candidate” can be turned off to latin candidatus and/or. in derivation of toga candida, a white garb, which in antique Rome the candidates on an office had to carry. The “white-dressed office applicant, that itself the people incandida, the shine-white Toga presented " (lat.: candidus = shining, knows).
with the designation “candidate” different meanings are connected:
- Graduate student and candidate on an academic degree (since end 16. Century)
- student in the fifth term (in 18. and 19. Century)
- Student after distribution of a preliminary test such as Philosophikum (cand. phil.), Physikum (cand. med.) etc. In Austria also a student after the first diploma examination, in medicine after the first Rigorosum.
- Candidate on (state) an examination
- theologian, who became already church before the exam held (to 18. Century)
inGermany is not the designation “candidate” an academic degree in the difference to unite Eastern European as well as Scandinavian countries.
partial has the term also a special meaning:
- In the governing bodies of communist parties new members were accepted first as a candidate, e.g. Candidate of the Politbüros. In this status they participated without right to vote in the meetings.
|this side is a term clarifying for the distinction of several terms named the same word.|