|surface:|| 1 ' 729 km ²|
|inhabitants:|| 1 ' 273 ' 278 (2005)|
|population density:|| 736 Einw. /km ²|
|entry to the confederation:||1351|
The unofficial hymn is the six-ringing march.
Table of contents
the canton Zurich lies to a large extent in the Swiss central country and borders in the northto the canton work living and Germany, in the west to the canton Aargau, in the south to the cantons course and Schwyz, and in the east to the cantons Thurgau and pc. Gallen. East the canton Zurich begins those East Switzerland.
most important waters are to be united the Zurich lake and the Limmat, which leave the Zurich lake in Zurich, over then later in the canton Aargau with the Reuss and with the Aare and Koblenz finally with the Rhine. The Pfäffikersee and the seizing lake are importantly smaller. The smooth valley drains the smooth, where these two lakes also lie, and inhabitant of zurich flows the upper country and close from Glattfelden in the inhabitant of zurich Unterland into the Rhine.The Töss is likewise a mountain river, which rises in the inhabitant of zurich upper country and flows with the Tössegg into the Rhine. Also the Thur flows on the last few kilometers by the canton Zurich. The Rhine forms the canton border to the canton work livingin the north and also in parts the state border of Switzerland to Germany.
Up to the building of the railway the rivers and lakes were the main traffic veins of Switzerland, particularly for the transport of goods. And the small, but water-rich mountain rivers and brooks inhabitants of zurichUpper country formed with their water power two centuries ago also at the beginning of Swiss industry.
office language of the canton is German and since the acceptance of the new inhabitants of zurich condition to 27. February 2005 is expressly mentioned that the bearing language belongs also to the language liberties.
religions - denominations
the canton Zurich belonged to the traditionally reformed cantons, there the city Zurich under force-read guidance the reformation accepted and intheir whole subject area interspersed. Historical exceptions are the catholic Dietikon and the monastery village in equal numbers Rheinau (only 1803 assigned as replacement for the loss of stone at the Rhine and Dörflingen).
Due to strong Zuwanderung (Zurich as economic center) and increasing Konfessionslosigkeit is the canton today multi-religiously; none of the communities has more an absolute majority. Are publicly recognized the Evangelist-reformed regional church of the canton Zurich, the Roman-catholic body and the Christian-catholic (old-catholic) Kirchgemeinden.
of the people more selectedCondition advice compiled 2000 and 2004 a new condition between, which should replace and since that time the often changed canton condition valid since 1869. The draft became in a popular vote to 27. February 2005 accepted by the voters with clear majority. Thosenew condition stepped at the 1. January 2006 into force.
In addition the people has direct portionat the legislation, by it referendum - and the Initiativrecht comes. Mandatory populars vote take place at all constitutional amendments, fakultative populars vote at law changes, if this by at least 3 ' 000 voters is required. Concerning people initiatives change or setting require the conditionthe support of at least 6 ' 000 voters; they are subject also to the popular vote if they are rejected by the canton advice. Zürcheri Unikum is the single initiative: an individual person can request the canton advice a law or a constitutional amendment, and this is the popular vote toosubmit, if it is supported by a majority of the canton advice. To the authority initiative (for example outgoing from a municipality parliament) the corresponding applies as to the single initiative.
The canton advice is as follows compound since 2003 (in parentheses the results of 1999):
- SVP: 61 (60) members
- FR: 53 (43) members
- FDP: 29 (35) members
- the Greens: 14 (11) members (party splitting 2004: The Green of 12 members, green liberals of 2 members)
- CVP: 12 (13) members
- EVP: 9 (9) members
- SD: 1(2) Members
- EDU: 1 (1) member
the highest leading and carrying out authority of the canton is the government advice. It consists of seven equal members, becomes firm from the people in the Majorzverfahren (Mehrheitswahlrecht) on four yearsselected and from the annually changing head of the provincial government led.
The acting government advice are (conditions 2006):
- Regine Aeppli (FR)
- Verena servant (GLP)
- Dorothée Fierz (FDP)
- Rita leader (SVP)
- Hans's lunar caustic (CVP)
- Ruedi Jeker (FDP)
- Markus Notter (FR)
the canton Zurich is thus at present the only canton, in which the women in the government possess the majority.
highest courts are the court of cassation (in civilian and criminal actions), the Administrative Court (public right), the social security court and the upper court. The upper court are the commercial court and the jury (for acts of violence) attached as well as district court, single judge, renting courts and (in Winterthurand Zurich) the labor courts subordinates. On local level there are the justices of the peace. Besides exists still another agriculture court, which has however in practice no great importance.
The district court Zurich is with its approximately 400 coworkers the largest court in the cantonZurich.
in the canton Zurich gives it the usual parties acting in Switzerland. In former times above all the FDP had a determining position, lost these however appreciably in the last years and had their role as the largest Canton advice parliamentary group to the SVP transfer. In the land municipalities the SVP is above average strong and in the city the FR. A fourth-strongest party are the Greens, only one outsider role plays the Swissly federal more influential CVP.
|a party||elections 2003||Elections 1999|
municipalities and districts
the canton Zurich counts 171 political municipalities, which are the carriers of the local autonomy; thus for example everyone comes to the individual right to determine the local basis of taxation.
see: Municipalities of the cantonZurich
further kinds of municipality are the school municipalities, which are integrated however increasingly into the political municipalities, the civil municipalities, whose it isolated only gives, and which and Roman as well as Christian-catholic Kirchgemeinden Evangelist-reformed.
Each municipality belongs to one of the 12Districts (see below), which are the decentralized units of the canton administration and thus without own autonomy.
the canton Zurich is the economically strongest region of Switzerland. Around the city Zurich has itself a dye also over oneMillion inhabitants developed, which already extends beyond the canton borders.
The Finanzplatz with national is particularly pronounced and internationally active banks and insurance, where Zurich can compete with London and Frankfurt/Main. Zurich is beside Munich leading a world-wideCenter for the reinsurance. Besides Zurich is a popular congress place.
the canton Zurich becomes of a close national and regional Eisenbahnnetz as well as from eastward, the west, the north and the south prominent motorways pulled through. With Kloten liesthe international airport Zurich, which fulfills also the function of a stroke.
During the international connection the railway (particularly to Munich and Stuttgart) to wish leaves, has the canton owing to inhabitants of zurich of the traffic group ( ZVV) remaining an excellent suburban traffic netfor dye traffic, which is continued to develop.
- Alcatel Switzerland AG
- Asea Brown Boveri head office
- Apple Switzerland
- BMW Switzerland AG
- Canon Switzerland AG
- Contraves head office
- Credit Suisse Group head office
- Computer Associates AG
- computer Sciences corporation
- DaimlerChryslerSwitzerland AG
- EMI music Switzerland AG
- Google Switzerland GmbH
- Hewlett-Packard Switzerland GmbH
- IBM Switzerland AG
- Kantonale print and material center Zurich
- Konica Minolta Switzerland AG
- Lindt & Sprüngli AG head office
- of MAN commercial motor vehicles Switzerland AG
- Mettler Toledo GmbH
- Microsoft Switzerland GmbH
- MigrosCooperative federation head office
- Motorola Switzerland AG
- Nikon AG
- Nokia Switzerland AG
- Philips AG
- Siemens Switzerland AG
- Sony Overseas SA
- Sun Microsystems Switzerland AG
- Swiss RH head office
- Tamedia AG head office
- UBS AG head office
- universal music/Pictures AG
- Winterthur Group head office
- inhabitant of zurich cantonal bank Head office
- Zurich Financial services head office
- University of Zurich
- Swiss federal technical university Zurich
- university for organization and art Zurich
- university for music and theatre Zurich
- university for technology Zurich
- university for economics and administration Zurich
- university for usesPsychology Zurich
- university for Pädagogik Zurich
- university for Heilpädagogik Zurich
- university for social work Zurich
- university Wädenswil
- Swiss public relation Institut
- inhabitant of zurich university Winterthur
special mechanisms and research
- university University of Zurich
- psychiatric university clinic Zurich “Burghölzli “
- FreudInstitut Zurich
- Technopark Zurich
- Swiss central bank
- IBM Zurich Research Laboratory
- God-dear Duttweiler Institut
political take the canton Zurich occasionally a role of the pioneer, for example with thatPromotion of public traffic, in the tax legislation, with the change of the training system, with rights for homosexual pairs and the reform of the official right (abolishment of the official status); within other ranges like the simplification of the administrative arrangement he limps behind other cantons such as Berne andPc. Gallen after. Into the decades long constant party landscape with its traditional dominance of the free sense and/or the freesense-industrial union-democratic party (FDP) - which only temporarily into two independent parties was divided - comes into outgoing 20. Century movement: InConnection with more difficult the economic situation become is broken this supremacy by the right-civil-conservative Swiss people's party (SVP), whose success expands in the future since whole Switzerland. On the left side at the same time the social-democratic party erstarkt (FR), with which that party, which coined/shaped the policy of the canton Zurich so long, threatens to be ground.
cities and places
- Zurich, 367 ' 182 inhabitants (2005)
- Winterthur, 95 ' 482 inhabitants (2004)
- Uster, 30 ' 727 inhabitants (2005)
- Dübendorf, 22 ' 541 inhabitants (2002)
- Dietikon, 21 ' 737 inhabitants (2004)
- Wädenswil, 19 ' 760 inhabitants (2004)
- Wetzikon (ZH), 18 ' 786 inhabitants (2002)
- hearing gene, 18 ' 257 inhabitants (2004)
- Kloten, 17 ' 069 inhabitants (2002)
- Thalwil, 16 ' 521 inhabitants (2004)
- Adliswil, 15 ' 716 inhabitants (2004)
- rain village, 15 ' 254 inhabitants (2002)
- Illnau Effretikon, 14 ' 939 inhabitants (2002)
- Volketswil, 14 ' 382 inhabitants (2002)
- le-laugh, 14 ' 193 inhabitants (2002)
- streaks, 13 ' 221 inhabitants (2002)
- Küsnacht (ZH), 12 ' 603 inhabitants (2002)
- Opfikon, 12 ' 446 inhabitants(2002)
- Wallisellen, 12 ' 064 inhabitants (2002)
- Stäfa, 12 ' 026 inhabitants (2002)
- Zollikon, 11 ' 937 inhabitants (2002)
- miles, 11 ' 582 inhabitants (2002)
- Rüti (ZH), 11 ' 056 inhabitants (2002)
- Richterswil, 11 ' 130 inhabitants (2004)
- Affoltern at the Albis, 10 ' 162 inhabitants (2002)
See also: Municipalities of the canton Zurich
of districts with principal place
the canton Zurich is arranged into 12 districts:
- Zurich consists of the city Zurich
- Affoltern with district principal place Affoltern at the Albis
- Andelfingen with district principal place Andelfingen
- Le-laugh with district principal place le-laugh
- Dielsdorf with district principal place Dielsdorf
- Dietikon with district principal place Dietikon
- Hinwil with district principal place Hinwil
- hearing gene with district principal place hearing gene
- miles with district principal place miles
- Pfäffikon with district principal place Pfäffikon
- Uster with district principal place Uster
- Winterthur with district principal place Winterthur
Web on the left of
Aargau | Appenzell Ausserrhoden | Appenzell Innerrhoden | Basel landscape | Basel city | Berne | Fribourg | Geneva | Glarus | Grey federations | Law | Luzern | New castle | Nidwalden | Obwalden | Create-live | Schwyz | Solothurn | Pc. Gallen | Tessin | Thurgau | Uri | Waadt | Whale-read | Course | Zurich