Karl William Welwei
Welwei studied history and classical philology at the University of Cologne. It was attained a doctorate to 1963 in Cologne and habilitierte themselves 1970 at the Ruhr University Bochum. From 1972 to 1996 he was a professor for old person history in Bochum. Since 1993 Welwei is member of the German archaeological institute.
Welwei is considered as one of the best connoisseurs of the history of the antique Greece and enjoys also internationally a outstanding call. Several of its publications became in the meantime standard works (for instance the Greek Polis, Athens, classical Athens; last it has a book concerning the antique Sparta published). Its main points of research are beside the antique Greece the Roman realm (republic and early Kaiser era) as well as the Roman-Germanic relations; to the latter topic it published a source collection in two volumes together with that Hamburg Mediävisten Hans Werner Goetz (old Germanien).
publications in selection
- the Greek Polis. Condition and society in archaischer and classical time, Stuttgart 1983 (2. Edition Stuttgart 1998).
- Athens. From the neolithischen settlement place to the archaischen Grosspolis, Darmstadt 1992.
- Classical Athens. Democracy and power politics in 5. and 4. Century v. Chr., Darmstadt 1999.
- The Greek early period 2000 to 500 v. Chr., Munich 2002 (Beck knowledge).
- Sparta. Ascent and fall of an antique great power, Stuttgart 2004.
- The Peloponnesian was and its Aftermath, in: Konrad Kinzl (Hrsg.): A Companion ton the Classical Greek World, Oxford 2006 (in preparation).
Web on the left of
| | * Literature of and over Karl William Welwei in the catalog of the DDB
|NAME||Welwei, Karl William|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||of German old historians|
|DATE OF BIRTH||17. October 1930|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||jokes /Ruhr|