the monastery Fulda was created 744 by Sturmius on behalf of Winfried Bonifatius in a Fuldaaue. The monastery was geweiht high welfare towards Erlöser (Salvator). Bonifatius appointed Sturmius the first abbott of the monastery and the abbey Fulda, which was established according to the rule of the holy Benedikt of Nursia (Regula Benedicti).
establishment and the early Middle Ages
the monastery Fulda goes back on the establishment of monastery of Bonifatius in a Fuldaaue in the year 744. Bonifatius assigned to look for Sturmius in the summer 742 for a place for the new monastery. Sturmius pulled up the Fulda of its Einsiedelei Hersfeld and found the place, which was given to him by Bonifatius. Bonifatius probably heard of this place at a ford, where there was a purged gentleman yard from merowingischen times. Called in the Vita Surmi the area Eichloha, probably concerns here it a tenth Mark or a group of one hundred in the old gaus grave field gau or Buchonia). Sturmius and its seven companions from Hersfeld began with the building of the monastery to 12. March 744. Starting from this time the place Fulda is called. Bonifatius made Sturmius first abbott of its self-monastery and specified the rule of the holy Benedikt of Nursia for the monastische life.
In the year 747 Bonifatius kept a shot landed property given from house Meier Karl man from four miles around the monastery (Karl man donation delivers in the Chartula pc. Bonifatii). In the year 751 Lullus traveled on behalf from Bonifatius to Rome over with Pope Zacharias some conditions clarifies too read. Among them also the request the monastery was to be subordinated directly holy chair. To 4. November 751 ordered Pope Zacharias that the monastery belonged to no more diocese. Whether the Exemtion at this time completely the jurisdiction of the holy chair was subordinate is disputed. It was however the basis to the later development for the exemten status of the Fuldaer of main monastery and its daughter monasteries and finally for collection to the diocese.
As Bonifatius to 5. June 754 in Dokkum died it to Mainz was transferred. Already at this time first tensions between the diocese appeared Mainz and the monastery Fulda. Thus the Mainzer clergyman tried to let Bonifatius bury in Mainz. In order to prevent this, Sturmius traveled with some monks to Mainz. He white on the desire of Bonifatius, its grave-put in his self-monastery to find. The powerful ore diocese could not lock for that, so that the body was continued to transfer after Fulda where it meanwhile before the cross altar of the Salvartorbasilika was buried.
When the martyr death of Bonifatius in the Franconia realm admits became, the monastery Fulda developed fast to a strongly frequented place of pilgrimage. This made itself Sturmius too uses and maintains the cult around the martyr and its grave in Fulda. Perceptible is among other things at the fast change of the monastery patronage. If the monastery was mentioned in the year 751 still as „monasterium sacti Salvatoris “, Bonifatii “already appears before 761 of the names „monasterium sacti.
As successors of Bonifatius in Mainz, Lullus began to extend starting from 754 its bishop parish. It integrated the dioceses Erfurt and Büraburg into its diocese and failed however to make the same with the Bonifatiani self-monastery. Lullus obstructed in it above all the Zachariasprivileg, before participated considerably in whose coming off he had only three years. Lullus succeeded it however to bring with some monks of the Fuldaer of convention, abbott Sturmius with king beep pin in discredit. This banished Sturmius 763 into the monastery Jumièges and the papal Exemtion for the monastery was drawn in. Lullus used its Gefolgsmann Markus as abbott, both met however on substantial resistance in the convention of the monastery, so the Lullus the free abbott choice permitted. Was selected the Sturmius trailer Prezzold, which returned the monastery administered to Sturmius 765, from beep pin again as an abbott recognition, to Fulda. The monastery received the Zachariasprivileg back and it at the same time placed under royal protection, thus became that to Bonifatiani self-monastery the realm monastery. Lullus reacts to in which he its own monastery after Bonifatiani model, which monastery Hersfeld, a Trutzfulda created.
By the royal protection the realm abbey Fulda was more closely bound to the Königtum and received from the kings many allowances. The most important donations were in the year 766 the king yard Umstadt of beep pin and 777 of the royal fiscus mutton castle of Karl the large one. It lent to the abbey 774 also the immunity, thus had the convention the right of the free abbott choice.
The Saxonia campaign of Karl the large one starting from the year 772, violent retaliations followed that Saxonia. 773 the monastery Fritzlar was run over and 778 was threatened also the monastery in Fulda. The monks fled with the mortal remnants from Bonifatius to the south. The Christianisierung of Saxonian areas already began nevertheless from 775 to 777, from Fulda. Under guidance of Sturmius Prediger and clerics went into the area of the upper Weser and the line. Emphasis was here Hameln and Brunshausen with Gandersheim, where the abbey to in 10. Century of daughter monasteries had, which were geweiht the holy Bonifatius. A further voucher of the influence of the Fuldaer abbey in this area is the collection of Erkanbert, a monk from Fulda, to the first bishop von Minden. Sturmius was with the Saxonia campaign in the year 779 on the Eresburg, where he got sick heavily. It returned to Fulda. In its farewell speech it admonished to maintain the monks their life order „into proposito vestro perseverate “. To 17. December 779 died Sturmius, and in the monastic church built by it was buried.
The successor of Sturmius was building Gulf, a brother of the Mindener of bishop Erkanbert. Building Gulf had thereby close contact to the king yard and to Karl the large one, who visited the main monastery in July 782. He required to do in his speech „Epistola de litteris colendis “before the monks to more for the education. This started the development of a far away well-known monastery school. 798 one already sent the talented pupils Hraban and Hatto for further studies to Alkuin to route.
Building Gulf began 791 with new buildings in the monastery. In this time one began also with the construction work to the new monastic church, the Ratgerbasilika. The abbey grew through rapidly by many allowances, also by donations of Karl the large one. Already in the year 781 a list of names of the abbey knows already 364 monks up, which were distributed however to the larger part on the many churches and areas of the abbey. This growth, the realm-political requirements of the abbey and the straight only construction work begun in the monastery, led however to arguments between the monks and the abbott Although the abbott influential advocates had (e.g. Alkuin) could not combine building Gulf the convention behind itself. It laid down its office in June 802 and sucked themselves after wolf cathedral with mutton castle back where it 815 died.
- 791 - 819 - the Ratgarbasilika (designated after the abbott ) one built, which at this time the largest building of churches was northern of the alps.
- By donations the monastery won more in the following centuries ever at influence. Also in Main gau won it rich landed property due to donations of the Frankish aristocracy.
- Under abbott Rabanus Maurus (822 - 842) became the monastery comprehensive over 600 monks the scientific center of the realm near. Of Rabanus the Maurus and Rudolf of Fulda, the director/conductor of the monastery school, considerably developed library covered about 2,000 handwriting.
- Since 968 - The abbott monastery of the Fulda was at the same time Primas of all German Benediktiner.
- In this time first farmers and craftsman settled around the monastery.
- 1019 - The abbey and the settlement receive II. by Heinrich. the Münz, market and [[Zollrecht].
- 1114 - Fulda is mentioned the first time as city (Civitas Fuldensis).
- 1220 the abbey II. became by emperors Friedrich. to the prince abbey raised.
- 1294 - 1312 - prince abbott Heinrich V. from Diez Weilnau (1288 - 1313) an abbott castle let build, in which it resided outside of the monastery. This castle became in 17. Century by prince abbott Johann Friedrich of Schwalbach into a Renaissance lock (lock Fasanerie) converted.
- Abbott Heinrich establishes still another second abbott castle within the city. The citizens storm with the help of the Hochvogtes count Johann von Ziegenhain both castles of the abbott and destroyed the new castle including tower and Ringmauern. On complaint of the fled abbott with the emperor Ludwig IV. this expressed the realm eight over the city and the counts .
- 1331 - The Trier archbishop Balduin obtained a Sühne to restore had and important remunerations pay due to those the citizens the tower and the Ringmauern of the new castle had. The leaders of the rebellion were executed.
- 1356 - Emperor Karl IV. „ore chancellor of the empress lent the honour title to the prince abbott “. The Fuldaer country with monastery and city stands now in the force area of conflict of the two neighbouring territories, for the ore diocese Mainz and the land county Hessen.
- 1449 - 1476 - under abbott pure hard of Weilnau reached the development of the realm pin into a territorial principality a conclusion.
- 1571 - Jesuiten established themselves in Fulda and made so a considerable contribution to the Gegenreformation.
- 1602 - 1606 was accomplished in the time of the prince abbott Balthasar by the brook extensive witch pursuits with 300 witch processes in three years. Thus the prince abbey Fulda belongs to the core zones of witch pursuits.
- 1631 - The monastery was geplündert by the hessian army, numerous Manusskripte from the library disappeared.
- 5. October 1752 - The prince abbey became by Pope Benedikt XIV. to the diocese Fulda raised.