of these articles is concerned with the State of Kuwait. For the capital of Kuwait see Kuwait (city).
Daulat aluminum Kuwait
State of Kuwait
Flagge Kuwaits
Wappen Kuwaits
(detail) (detail)
office language Arab
capital Kuwait
system of government emirate
Emir Sabah IV. Aluminium-Ahmad aluminium-DschabirAs-Sabah
prime minister vakant
surface 17,820 km ²
number of inhabitants 2.600.000 (2004)
population density of 146 inhabitants per km ²
gros domestic product/inhabitant 16,430 US-$ (2004)
independence from Great Britain to 19. June 1961
currency Kuwait dinar
time belt UTC +3
national anthem Anna-separated aluminium-watani
national holiday 25. February
Kfz characteristic KWT
Internet TLD .kw
Preselection +965
Lagekarte von Kuwait
Karte von Kuwait

the emirate Kuwait (Arab: الكويت aluminum Kuwait, German also: Kuweit) lies in Anterior Asia. It borders on the Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Persian Gulf.

Table of contents


Kuwait consists mostly of desert with small difference in height. To Kuwait nine islands belong.Bubiyan, the largest island, is connected by a bridge with the mainland. After release in the year 1991 the island was converted into a military basis. Civilians have at present no entrance to the island. The remaining eight islands are called: Auha, Failaka, Kubbar, Miskan, Qaruh, Umm aluminium-Maradim, Umm on-Namil and Warba.

In the summer it is hot and drying, in the winter against it cool in Kuwait. Natural resources are oil, fish, shrimps and natural gas. Kuwait has 499 km a long coast.

The largest cities are (census 2005): Dschalib as-Schuyuh of 179,264 inhabitants, as-Salimiyya of 145,328 inhabitants and Hawalli of 106,992 inhabitants. The capital Kuwait city is with 32.403 inhabitants only on place 18 of the largest cities of theCountry. Altogether 94 per cent of the population of Kuwait in the dye Kuwait city concentrates.

See also: List of the cities in Kuwait


of that approximately two million inhabitants are only about 45% Kuwaiter. The remaining 55% zugewandert from Iran , India , Pakistan, and many different - mainly Arab - countries. The immigrants are opposite socially disadvantaged the native ones. The population growth amounts to about 3.5% per year. The population is predominantly Muslim(85%), of it 70% Sunniten and 30% are Shiites. To the Roman-catholic church 6% belong to the population. The remaining 9% predominantly cover different Christian denominations, Hindi and Parsi.

Persian becomes in Kuwait as the second languagespoken.

See also: Catholic church in Kuwait


major item: History of Kuwait

British protectorate (since 1899) became 1961 independently. 1967 participated Kuwait as well as the Iraq in the war against Israel . 1990 marched Iraqi troops inKuwait and annektierten the country; under guidance of the USA became in the second Gulf War of 17. January to 27. February 1991 the old balance of power restored.


until 1991 were Kuwait an undemocratic monarchy under the rule of theFamily clan as-Sabah. The country was supported by the USA, one the principal client of Kuwaiti oil, diplomatically, militarily and with weapon supplies. Only between 1991 and 1996 a parliament was formed. Whether in the clan supremacy thereby something changed is regarded, as questionable.Since 1991 Kuwait is constitutional hereditary monarchy.

right to vote

to 16. May 2005 decided the parliament with 35:23 voices with an abstention that women receive the active and passive right to vote starting from 2007. „I want that our Mrs. uswith the building of our country and our future help. “ Prime Minister said sheikh Sabah aluminium-Ahmad as-Sabah.

administrative arrangement

Kuwait is divided into six Gouvernorate: Aluminium-Ahmadi, aluminium-Asima, aluminium-Farwaniyya, aluminium-Dschahra, Hawalli and Mubarak aluminium-Kabir.



the wealth of the country is based on oil, which is promoted since 1946. Kuwait is member of the organization of oil exporting countries (OPEC). 94 per cent of the incomes daily about 2,6 depends on oil, on thatMillions barrels to be promoted. For instance a million Barrels are processed in the three refineries of the country.


with the billions-worth incomes from the oil sector and encouraged by the fall of Saddam Hussein has the country a diversification thatEconomics tackled. A modern container port is to be built and an island into a tourist complex to be converted.

foreign trade

the imported goods come to a large extent from Japan, the USA, Germany and Saudi Arabia.

public expenditures

between the portion of the public expenditures for the health service was to 1992


  • Christian cook: Groups of interests and political development in an Arab Gulf State: The emirate Kuwait.Berlin (2000).To ISBN 3879972850

see also

Web on the left of

Wiktionary: Kuwait - word origin, synonyms and translations

coordinates: 29° 10 ' N, 47° 36 ' O


  > German to English > de.wikipedia.org (Machine translated into English)