the term Latin America designates the American countries south the USA and covers the range from South America, Central America, Mexico, and the Karibik. The peoples of this region, in whom the English language prevails (e.g. Jamaica, Belize, Guyana) frequently from this allocation are excluded. Normally it refers only to the countries, in which the Spanish and Portuguese one (languages, which descend from latin) prevail. In contrast to it one speaks of North America also of Angloamerika.
table of contents
Latin America extends from the Rio Grande del Norte up to Cape Hoorn. In the west the Pacific limits, in the east the Atlantic the continent. This covers Mexico, central and South America and primarily by Roman peoples was coined/shaped.
Literally regarded one could actually expect that the term cultures and regions in America designates, which are located in purchase to Roman languages, since these descend for their part from latin. But French speaking ranges Americas, like Québec and Akadien in Canada, as well as Haiti, are considered straight not as part of Latin America. Nevertheless those becameDesignation „Latin America “first during the French occupation of Mexico (1862-1867) suggested, as a Napoleon III. Ore duke Maximilians interests supported to become emperors from Mexico to. The Frenchmen hoped that a comprehensive term of „latin “America will support its intentions. The Mexicans drove outfinally probably it wanted the Frenchmen, but the irony of history the fact that it „latin “- left designation as trace.
The alternative designation Iberoamerika is occasionally used, around the relations of the peoples with its earlier colonial powers lain on the iberischen peninsulaTo express Spain and Portugal, and/or. the similar designation is to Angloamerika.
Latin American countries
- Dominican Republic of
- Puerto Rico
- Trinidad and Tobago
- the Bahamas
- Puerto Rico
- Turks and Caicosinseln
- Virgin Iceland
- pc. Kittis and Nevis
- Antigua and Barbuda
- pc. Lucia
- pc. Vincent and Grenadinen
- French Guyana
Latin America is throughout catholic coined/shaped. About 83-87% the latin American are catholic, although the influence of the church shrinks clearly particularly in Brazil (only approximately 75% catholic). For some years the number of the Protestanten and free churches those rises today altogether about 10% constitutes. Islamand Hinduismus is partly also represented (e.g. in Surinam and Guyana), constitutes however less than 1% at the total population.
- winter, J.; Crowd one ski, A.: Are and states unregierbar? Causes of the political crisis in Bolivia, Ecuadorand Peru, in: Magazine development policy 14/2005, Frankfurt/M., S. 30-34. Download under: http://www.weltpolitik.net/Regionen/Nord-%20und%20Lateinamerika/Gesamtregion/
- H. Miller Bailey; A.P. NASA animal: Latin America. From Iberi colonial empires to autonomous Republics of, Zurich, 1969
- federal center for political education (Hrsg.): Latin America I. History - economics - society, Row: Information for for political education, number 226 and 244 (on-line)
- CeLA Arbeitshefte of the center Latinoamericano (CeLA) of the University of Münster (on-line, pdf)
- portal: South America
- portal: Central America
- Dokumentationszentrum of human rights in Latin America
Web on the left of
- Latin America messages - the monthly magazine to Latin America
- Latin America Links.de - left to Latin America, Spain and Portugal
- Latin America medium portal
- Poonal - message archives
- ila - information centre Latin America
- matices - magazine to Latin America, Spain and Portugal
- alolatino.de - el portal latino:: Portal to Latin America, Spain
- FDCL - research and Dokumentationszentrum Chile Latin America
- cibera - virtual technical library Ibero America/Spain/Portugal
- center Latinoamericano (CeLA) of the University of Münster
- CariLat Karibik - Latin America - independent on-line magazine