|Prime Minister|| Algirdas Mykolas|
|surface||65,301 km ²|
|number of inhabitants||3.403.235 (1. January 2006)|
|Population density||of 52 inhabitants for each km ²|
|gros domestic product/inhabitant||5.988 € (2006)|
|Establishment||16. February 1918 (declaration); 11. March 1990 (regaining)|
|time belt||UTC +2|
|national anthem||Tautiška Giesmė|
Table of contents
Lithuania lies in the Eastern European level. In the west the country with sand beaches borders on the Baltic Sea. The Niederlitau land back in the western part of Lithuania belongs to the Baltic land back. The hill country in the southeastheard to the Byelorussian elevator back. Here the collection of Lithuania highest with 292 m lies. The largest rivers are Memel and Neris, which rise both in white Russia. In the northeast is the sea-plate of Hochlitauen. Numerous seas there are alsoin the south. Altogether lakes take about 1.5% of the national surface. A part of the Kuri Haffs and the Kuri Nehrung belongs likewise to Lithuania.
the annual average temperature amounts to about 6 °C. The yearly precipitation variesof 900 mm in the coastal region up to 550 mm in the north.
Lithuania borders in the north on Latvia, in the east and southeast on white Russia. The border to Poland in the south is only aboutlong, however the most important connection represents 100 km to Western Europe. After southwest the Russian Oblast Kaliningrad follows , the border of the Memel) is partly formed. In the west the Baltic Sea lies, to Lithuania over the ice-freePort Klaipėda entrance has.
the Litauer divide their country into four historical regions, which differ according to tradition, dialect and landscape. There is this: Aukštaitija (Oberlitauen) in the northeast to down to the capital Vilnius/Wilna,the largest of the four regions, Žemaitija (Niederlitauen) in the northwest with a particularly deviating dialect, the traditionally very wealthy Suvalkija in the southwest and the traditionally rather poor Dzukija in the south. A fifth region, however today in Lithuania mostlywhen part of Niederlitauen is regarded, Kleinlitauen ( Mažoji Lietuva, on the map light blue) forms, the outermost western strip of Lithuania forms and until 1918 as part of East Prussia to the German Reich belonged. Aukštaitija is in the border area to white Russia muchhilly and sea-rich, in the center the national park Aukštaitija is appropriate for this area. The part in the south of Lithuania, bordering on Poland, is called Suvalkija (on the map blue). This is, together with the central level between Panevėžys and Kaunas,agriculturally the most intensively used part of Lithuania. East the Suvalkija forms the forest-rich Dzūkija (on the map yellow) the border to white Russia.
See also: Cities in Lithuania
the part of the population largest with distance consists of Litauern. However there are also national minorities in the country. The russischsprachige minority came mostly during and after the Second World War to Lithuania, when the country belonged to the Soviet Union, and concentrates on the capital Wilna, the port Klaipėda (Memel), the region Kleinlitauen (Mažoji Lietuva) and industrial sites such as Elektrėnai and Ignalina, so that frequently Russian is to be heard here. During Russian with older Litauern (>30 years) than Lingua Franca to apply can, speak younger Litauer rather/dear Englishas Russian.
In Klaipeda and v. A. on the Kuri Nehrung (Neringa) are also some Litauer, which speak still German. Polish Dieveniškės is in the eastern part, particularly in the rural regions around Wilna and in the area around the localityto find, frequently, since despite the driving out after the Second World War a large Polish minority lives there. By those century for a long time operational readiness level of the Russian one in Lithuania mixed itself of Poland spoken Polish strongly with Russian words and expressions.
According to estimations live or work about200,000 Litauer abroad western, without the litauischen reporting authorities have of it official knowledge.
- Litauisch approx. 2.694.000 speaking
- Russian approx. 344.000
- Polish approx. 258.000-400.000
- Byelorussian approx. 63.000
- Ukrainian approx. 45,000
- Tatarisch approx. 5,100
- Lettisch approx. 5.000
- Karaimisch < Belongs
to 300 Litaui to the Baltic languages, which became extinct up to Litaui and Letti and is considered to the Indoeuropäi original language of all still living languages as particularly archaisch and particularly intimate.
Lithuania is a parliamentary democracy with more präsidialerRule.Capital and seat of the government of the Republic of Lithuania are Vilnius. After condition the Republic of Lithuania is a democratic and right-national republic. There are 10 administrative districts ( districts), which are subdivided again into districts ( city administrations and land municipalities).The national order regulates the condition of Lithuania.
head of state is a president with representative tasks. Protokollarisch seen follow it the parliament chairman Seimas', the Prime Minister, those in accordance with the condition in absence of the president the Republic of Lithuania(inland) lead and and/or. opposite the foreign state guests represented can.
as unit state is uniformly organized Lithuania. There are however two levels in the political system: the national (national) level, those the total state Lithuania outwardrepresents, and the district level, which exists individually in each national municipality. Each level possesses own institutions of the executive (implementing force), legislation (legislative force (Seimas) or statute power (national municipalities). The national level possesses also Judikative (quite-speaking force) on the entire national territory.
See also: Division of power
Seimas Lithuania decides the power with two-thirds majority the condition on the laws of the republic and has to change. In the national municipalities the local councils (local council over the statutes of their municipality decide. The delegates of the parliament (Seimo nariai) and membersthe local councils (savivaldybes tarybos nariai) after the condition are not instruction. Preliminary decisions in the parties dominate the legislation.
Web on the left of: Current cunning OF MEPs from Lithuania
the executive educates the government, that is led by the Prime Minister on national level. Upthe level of the national municipality the mayor leads the executive (executive committee of the national municipality).
The administration of Lithuania becomes in each caseby the specialized Ministers led, they stand at the point of the Ministry and other authorities such as Departamente, inspections, offices (tax office, tax inspection (Valstybinė mokesčių inspekcija).
Lithuania consists of 10 administrative districts(lit.:apskritis):
of federations in the political system do not play oneas important role as in other countries (Germany, France). The trade unions have very small meaning in the political and social life.
One realizes the lobbying by private, social (registered association) and other acquaintances, around important decisions in the direction of its interests tooaffect. Lithuania is a small country, where different public and private activities have sometimes the purchase one on the other. The validity of these activities is not undisputed and is subject to frequent criticism in particular by such lobbying public interests negatively in each case concerned.
- Darbo Partija (DP) a work party
- Liberalų IR center Sąjunga (LiCS) (liberal center)
- Liberaldemokratų partija (LDP) (liberal democrat)
- Lietuvos Krikščionys Demokratai (LKD) (Christian democrat)
- Valstiečių IR Naujosios demokratijos partijų sąjunga (VNDS) (a farmer party)
- Lietuvos Socialdemokratų Partija (LSDP) (Social Democrat)
- Naujoji Sąjunga (Socialliberalai) (LV) (social liberal)
- Tėvynės Sąjunga (TS), native country union (conservative one)
the litauische party landscape is very strongly splintered, small parties can develop and on national level influence secure themselves. The smaller parties comes besides by the frequent cabinet crises and changing majorities in the parliament not more insignificantInfluence during the parliamentary will formation too.
Altogether it is very difficult to specify the litauische party landscape on samples usual in Western Europe. Most parties do not have a real tradition (relative exception: Conservative ones and Social Democrats) and are in the definition of their practicalPositions very many more on their political high-level personnel and their personal interests dependent than of party programs or firm ideological opinions.
Some parties can be regarded as establishments only alone for the purpose to offer to individuals a party platform: for instance the liberal democratsfor (Rolandas Paksas) or those only 2003 a created work party for (Viktoras Uspaskichas).
Nearly all parties pursue a free market concept, openly the liberals - with restrictions Social Democrats, a work party and liberal democrat. The conservative ones and the liberals findtheir constituency rather among the education and “winners” of the last ten years, while Social Democrats, a work party and liberal democrats with populist promises with the simple population, who profited to few often in the last years from the economic recovery, support recruit/recruited.
After thatAffair around the former president Rolandas Paksas overflowed a large part of its constituency to the again created work party. Paksas had taken a large part of the rural constituency for itself, by promising, their interests, the interests runkeliai (“carrots”), howit by the dominant elite to be called to defend.
In the last years a certain periodic consolidation is to be determined within the party landscape lasting the choice time, which finds its expression in coalitions. This happens, in order to improve the choice prospects (so for instancethe coalition of liberals union and central party to the liberal and center union in the year 2003).
Lithuania is member of many international organizations. The most important guidelines litauischer foreign policy are the west connection, the transantlantische and European integration, regional stability inEurope.
During the conflict around the presidency elections in the Ukraine in November/December 2004 the litauische president Valdas Adamkus with Polish president Alexander Kwaśniewski engaged itself as a mediator between the conflict parties, while the Baltic, Polish public and the media indid not practice ever dagewesenem extent solidarity with Wiktor Juschtschenko.
Since that 29. March 2004 is Lithuania member of NATO and since that 1. May 2004 member of the European Union. It becomes at the 1. January 2007 presumably member of the European restaurantand monetary union and at the 1. Join January 2008 the Schengener area.
central aspect for the security politics and expression of the west connection is the membership in the NATO, which Lithuania joined 2004.
Web on the left of: http://www.urm.lt
Participation in international measures to bring about peace in Kosovo, Afghanistan, co-operation with NATO (BALTRON) with the neighbouring Baltic States of (BALTBAT) and with Poland, LITPOLBAT (780 men battalion with staff HQ in Orzysz, Poland).
Web on the left of:
- condition of the 3. May is considered to 1791 of the republic of both nations as the oldest written condition of Europe.
- Statutes of Lithuania: Right kodifikation the litauisch Polish state in XVI the Jh.
16. Century was a cultural bloom time. 1529, 1566 and 1588 were prepared 3 statutes of Lithuania. Itwitness from one mature right culture. The last statute of 1588 applied in the area of the former large principality Lithuania even in XIX the Jh., although the state had disappeared already long from the European map.
- While applied for the independence of Lithuania from 1918-1941further substantial Russian law books from tsarist time:ZPO, civil code, penal code, StPO - litauische translations had an only informative character.
the constitutional court is awake over the adherence to the condition. The highest Courts of Justice of Lithuania are that Highest court “Aukščiausiasis Teismas” (general jurisdiction), the highest Administrative Court in Vilnius “Vyriausiasis Administracinis Teismas” (administrative jurisdiction). The absolute majority of the iurisdiction lies in the responsibility of the national courts.
The Appelationshof and district court examine the decisions for formal and material legal standard (as fact instance).
See also: Basic Law.
in Lithuania becomes about 80 per cent of the necessary electricity by the nuclear power station Ignalina (type of building: Light-water reactor as also in Tschornobyl) ready posed. Thus Lithuania beside France has momentarily (at the beginning of of 2005) the highest percentage at atomic current in the world. Afterthe disconnection of the first reactor to beginning of the year 2005 the second (and the latter) reactor is because of the European Union obligations until 2009 of the net. The discussions over the building of the third reactor are 2006 on set.
Despite the comprehensive electricity network are so far does not electrify about 200 litauische villages with 300 settlements. By privatisations of the Vakarų skirstomieji tinklai VST and Rytų skirstomieji tinklai RST hopes one for future comprehensive national electrification also in the regions removed far (z. B., Utena with 50settlements did not electrify).
Renewable energies now more and more begun, in particular energy production from biomass. About 8private wind energy force plants are furnished in the western part of Lithuania. At present whole wind parks are in the building (assistance of the German investments and building contractors).
Lithuania has a great importance as transit country between Central Europe and Northern Europe, between the Oblast Kaliningrad and the Russian heartland as well as between white Russia and Scandinavia. In addition Lithuania possesses an important function as oil - transit country. The capital Vilnius is due to its proximity to the strongly blocked European Union external border to white Russia ina kind “totem angle”. Therefore the second largest city Kaunas in verkehrsplanerischer regard has a greater importance for Lithuania than Vilnius.
Lithuania has a road system with the motorways, understood in the development - and motorway connections Wilna -Kaunas - Klaipėda and Wilna Panevėžys as well as the freeway E67 “via Baltica “from Warsaw over Kaunas and Riga to Tallinn and/or. Helsinki, which is to be developed on a long-term basis to the full motorway.
in Klaipeda is an important sea port with driving connections into the entire Baltic Sea area (and. A. after Kiel and Sassnitz) and increasing meaning for the freight traffic. Besides the Memel for the inland waterway craft travel is passable.
Lithuania has 4 international airports: Airport Vilnius, airport Kaunas (in Karmėlava), rarely and/or. to be only seasonally approached airport Palanga and airport Šiauliai. Connections exist into numerous countries of Europe. The close north border is with airport Riga a larger international airport.
with Šeštokai/Suwalki (PL) is a railway border crossing to Poland,one again-opened, since the most important alternative distance runs over Byelorussian area. Since 2004 however the two-daily night train was replaced adjusted from Warsaw to Vilnius and by a bus connection. The only train connection is a strolling course on the day up to the border,where to be then transferred must (again daily starting from 11. December 2005  ). Of Lithuania railway operates (as in the entire former Soviet Union and in Finland) on a track width of 1,524 mm (Central Europe: 1,435 mm), why thoseCourses by Poland in the Baltic to be umgespurt must. For this partial modern Umspursysteme becomes like the Polish SUW-2000 - system uses. See Lietuvos Geležinkeliai
to cross-country penalty
with the transition from the flat to the free-market economy is connected in Lithuania a structural change. This was intensified since the entry of the country to the European Union in the year 2004. The feared fallthe agriculture because of productivity and competitive power lacking, in addition, because of anyway in the European Union strongly subsidized offer, was missing however.
The omission of the agricultural tariffs of the European Union for the country farmers and foodstuffs industry of Lithuania made winners of the European Union. Sodeveloped z. B. Milk products to an important export article (into Eastern European countries).
The largest economic problem is thoselarge dependence of the country on transnational energy companies, on investment decisions of the foreign Untermehmen, the purchasing power lacking of the litauischen households due to very small wages. Therefore the dismantling can be compensated and extended by industrialism places by new service jobs only gradually. Numerous reforms are in the opinion of expert of economic politics (Institut for free market, Free Market Institut) necessarily. The transition from the planned economy to the free-market economy of Lithuania is so far not yet completely carried out.
The future of Lithuania is characterized by further integration into western structures (NATO, European Union, Council of Europe, Baltic Sea advice). At present however much points on the fact that the country z. B. with the average income on long time will find no connection to the Western European prosperity level.
The function as “extended work bench” of Western Europe could it already soon by the European Union of entry countries to be made contentious, in those the wages are still lower (Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia).
Most important export articles of Lithuania are machines, electrical article, textiles. Most important trade partners are the European Union - States of, above all Germany(10%), Latvia (9.1%), France.
GROS DOMESTIC PRODUCT
- 2003 10.5%,
- 2004 7%,
- 2005 7.3%.
2006 one expects 6% and 2007 5.3% increase. The GROS DOMESTIC PRODUCT reached 2005 over 20 billion € (70.763 millions LTL, with unplanned 0.4 billion € or 1.5 billion LTL household surplus). From it resultsa pro head gros domestic product of 20,660 LTL or 6000 € (Germany: 26.400 €).
Lithuania is called because of its good economic development often Baltic tiger.
the meaning European Union - entry for the further economic development is very large.The foreign direct investments make billion with 4,7 € (I. Quarter 2004) nearly a third of the annual restaurant product out. German enterprises lie with an investment sum of 416 millions € behind Denmark and Sweden on rank 3 (10% of all investments). Large one Investors are and. A.
- TeliaSonera (S/SF): Portions of Lietuvos Telekomas (590 millions €, 2002) and at Omnitel
- TDC (DC): Bitė GSM
- Tele2 (s)
- of financings:
- Hansapank (EE - SF): Hansabankas
- Nord/LB (D): Nord/LB Lietuva
- SEB (s): Vilniaus Bankas
- Ergo (D/Versicherung)
- food and luxury
- Philip Morris (the USA, cigarettes)
- Carl mountain /Scottish-Newcastle over Baltic Breweries getting thing (DC-UK/Brauerei): Portions of Švyturys Utenos
- Danish Brewery Group (DC/brewery): Portions of Kalnapilis Tauras
- Danisco (DC/sugar)
- Mars (USA/animal fodder): Masterfoods
- KraftFoods (USA/sweet goods)
- Coca-Cola (USA/lemonades)
the exports amount 2005 up12.46 billion € (42.975 mlrd. LTL), the imported goods on 13,2 billion €. The foreign trade (exports such as imported goods) doubled itself thereby since 1995. Export increase 2005 was 27.1%, import increase 25%. The trade deficit reaches 1.31 billion €, has itself however in the comparisonto the years of the Russia crisis, as which sales markets in the east, clearly reduces away-fallow.
Main export countries are Switzerland (special case by oil exports over commercial firms with seat in Switzerland), Russia and Germany, where 10% of the exports go. To Russia go todayonly 10% of the exports - 1996 was still scarce it 25%. Main importing countries are Russia (22%, v. A. Raw materials) and Germany (17%).
the property of litauischen banks 2005 44.8 billion amounted to LTL(Property of the Baltic banks 40.195 mlrd. EUR). That was 15.652 billion LTL (53.7%) more than 2004 (property of the Baltic banks grew with 12,125 billion EUR 2004).
state budget, - owe and - deficit/inflation
the national debt amount to (January 2006)11.5492 billion Litas (approx. 3.2 billion EUR). Those are 16.9% GROS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (2005). The national budget amounted to (2004) 4.2 billion €. The election year 2004 has with 596 millions € a new record deficit (3.3%) marks (previous years: around the 2%). The inflation rate lies steadily low, since 2000 with under 1%, only the European Union entry led to an inflation rate of approximately 3%.
list with persons and enterprise to the litauischen economy
- Algos grupė, UAB Koncernas “Alga”, president Andrius Linkus, http://www.alga.lt
- Rubicon group,UAB „Rubicon group “, president Andrius Janukonis, http://www.rubicongroup.lt
- mg Baltic, president Darius Mockus, www.mgbaltic.lt
- LIBRA GROUP, president of Toma Juška, http://www.libragroup.lt
- SBA, Koncernas UAB SBA, president Arūnas Martinkevičius, www.sba.lt
- SONEX, UAB „Sonex getting thing “, IT company,President Arūnas Bartusevičius, www.sonex.lt
- Vakarų Lietuvos pramonės IR finansų korporacija, STARTING FROM “Vakarų Lietuvos pramonės IR finansų korporacija”, president Antanas Bosas, http://www.vlpfk.lt
- VIKONDA, Koncernas UAB “Vikonda”, president Viktor Uspaskich, www.vikonda.lt
- VP MARKET, UAB „VP MARKET “,Commercial company, president Nerijus Numavičius, http://www.vpmarket.lt
branches of production
important branches of the industry are
- mechanical engineering and vehicle technology: OFF “GRAŽTAI” in Vilnius, Rokiškio mašinų gamykla in Rokiškis (agricultural machinery), Vienybė in Ukmergė, Vilma in Vilnius
- electrical appliance production: Snaigėin Alytus (refrigerators), Ekranas in Panevėžys (picture tubes), rope-race in Šiauliai (television)
- metal products: Vilmeta in Vilnius
- oil and Erdölverarbeitung: Mažeikių Nafta in Mažeikiai and Butingė, Geonafta in Gargždai
- wood working and furniture production/paper: Vilniaus Baldai in Vilnius, KaunoBaldai in Kaunas, Venta in Šiauliai as well as Klaipėdos Mediena in Klaipėda, which almost exclusively for the Swedish company IKEA produce, Grigiškės in Vilnius (paper)
- glass and ceramic(s): Dvarčionių Keramika in Vilnius, Panevėžio Stiklas in Panevėžys
- textile industry: Alytaus Tekstilėin Alytus, Audejas in Vilnius, Drobė in Kaunas, Kauno audiniai in Kaunas, Linas in Panevėžys (linen), Utenos Trikotažas in Utena, Korelita in Kaunas (chemical fibres), Vernita in Marijampolė (yarns)
- food industry:
- Milk products (especially. Cheese): Žemaitijos Pienas inTelšiai, Pieno Žvaigždės in Vilnius (also ice cream), Kauno pieno cent-race in Kaunas, Klaipėdos Pienas in Klaipėda, Rokiškio Sūris in Rokiškis
- beer: Utenos Švyturys in Utėna and Klaipėda, Kalnapilis in Kaunas, Gubernija in Šiauliai
- liquor and sparkling wine: Alita in Alytus, Anykščių vynasin Anykščiai, Sema in Panevėžys, Stumbras in Kaunas, Vilniaus Degtinė in Vilnius
- canned goods: Vikonda in Kėdainiai
- meat goods: Krekenavos Agro company in the district Kėdainiai, Utenos Mėsa in Utena, Vilniaus Paukštynas in Vilnius
- sugar: Danisco Sugar in Kėdainiai and Panevėžys
- cigarettes: Philip Morrisin Klaipėda
- sweets: KraftFoods in Kaunas, Naujoji Ruta in Šiauliai, Vilniaus Pergalė in Vilnius
- electronic components: Vilniaus Vingis in Vilnius, sigma in Vilnius (telephones)
- fertilizers: Achema in Jonava, Lifosa in Kėdainiai
- of plastic products: Plasta in Vilnius
- shipbuilding:Baltija, Klaipėdos laivų remontas, Laivitė and Vakarų laivų gamykla in Klaipėda
the land and forestry contributes still well 5% to the GROS DOMESTIC PRODUCT.
cultural is Lithuania in a Übergangszone. Becomesthe west of the country close of the Baltic Sea by those hanseatisch - northEuropean traditions with strong German, Danish and Swedish influences coined/shaped (brick gothic, half timbered houses), then Vilnius outweigh Polish culture elements in the east around the capital. Found by the Roman catholicism of the populationparticularly in architecture many Italian influences entrance into the litauische culture (Renaissance cathedral of Vilnius).
Vilnius will be the first city from the new European Union countries, which will be EUROPEAN UNION culture capital, i.e. in the year 2009. That is alsoa signal that one for mental and cultural growing together and co-operation in the Baltic wait or one wishes oneself it at least.
museums and galleries
gives numerous museums and galleries in Lithuania. Not only in the larger cities, but partly also in remotely farmsteads, in those famous personalitiesLithuania lived.
- National museum
the national museum is in Vilnius beside the cathedral. Further branches are distributed over the city. The exhibition is rich at archaeological and ethnographischen exhibits.
- Devil museum in Kaunas
in the litauischen mythology and as symbol inEveryday life life plays the devil an important role. Contrary to the Central European conceptions it applies not as the embodiment of the absolutely bad one, but more than a kind Trickster, which also helps humans. Therefore are relative in the publicmany devil statues and - illustrations.
- The amber museum in the health resort Palanga at the Baltic Sea, in the lock of counts Tiskevicius offers unikale collections of amber. There is also a smaller amber museum in Nida.
symbols and holy of Lithuania
- thatState coat of arms shows a rider (lit.vytis, too vyti “hunt, pursue”). The litauische coat of arms originates from the year 1366.
- The patron Lithuania is the holy Casimir. The Kasimir fair (Kaziuko mugė) finds each year on weekendthat 3. March in the old part of town of Vilnius instead of. Products of the traditional and Kunsthanwerks are offered and old arts and trades are shown.
- Frequently to find a sculpture of the hurting man is, litauisch Rūpintojėlis mentioned. This shows Jesus Christ in more sittingAttitude, the child supported by the hand in sinierender attitude. It is not canonical and one considers an origin from pre-Christian religion. As Souvenire one can buy small sculptures in many litauischen galleries.
- Amber is likewise a typical, frequently offered souvenirthe Baltic traveler, even if most stones originate from the Oblast Kaliningrad.
- The mountain of the crosses (lit. Kryžių Kalnas) is with the city Šiauliai. It symbolizes the fight against Soviet power and Okkupation.
- The wine lozenge, although notin Lithuania domestic, is considered as a national flower. It was in particular in the wedding custom indispensable. Now it is to be found nevertheless still in village gardens and on cemeteries.
basketball is the national sport and also 'national religion 'in Lithuania. Already1937 and 1939 could win Lithuania the European championships in this kind of sport. This tradition found its continuation in the Soviet time as litauische players again and again to part of the USSR selection teams was. Well-known names are Kazys Petkevičius, Modestas Paulauskas, Sergėjus Jovaiša, Arvydas Sabonis, Rimas Kurtinaitis and Šarūnas Marčiulionis.
With the first olympic plays after again attained independence the litauische basketball team of the gentlemen could be won 1992 in Barcelona surprisingly bronze, a success of the 1996 and be repeated 2000could. In the semi-final one brought even the Dream to team of the USA for the first time to the edge of a defeat. After silver 1995 the new generation became around Šarūnas Jasikevičius and Arvydas Macijauskas 2003 European champions. With the olympic plays 2004 those wonLitauer sovereign the Vorrunde and defeated the team of the USA, lost then however surprisingly the semi-final against Italy and became after a defeat against the USA fourth.
Among the association crews in the basketball Zalgiris Kaunas likewise already counts since long timeto the all first Top addresses in Europe.
Other crew kinds of sport periods in contrast to this a shade existence. The largest football stadium of the country in Kaunas seizes straight once 20,000 spectators. With the olympic kinds of sport Lithuania has a tradition of good throwers (Romas Ubartas and Virgilijus Alekna) as well as cyclists and Ruderer.
Lithuania offers both for the culturally interested traveler with its spectacular architecture, church history, Jewish history, referring to the German and the Soviet crew,Devil symbolism, and for the beach holiday-maker with partial deserted and very beautiful sand beaches on the Kuri Nehrung and with Palanga, and for the nature lover with hundreds of unaffected lakes, rivers for Kanutouren many incentives unverbauten. Besides are the travel and livingin Lithuania comparatively cheaply: the prices for bus and taxi travels are very small with for example 1 LTL (= 30 euro-cent) per km for a taxi travel. Something similar applies to the catering trade enterprises. Also hotels are cheaper than in Germany. Credit cards become nearlyeverywhere accepted, the acceptance is larger than in Germany.
See also: Tourism in Lithuania
Web on the left of
|Wikiquote: Litaui proverbs - quotations|
|Wiktionary: Lithuania - word origin, synonyms and translations|
- Lithuania info. basis national information with forum, link catalog and picture gallery.
- Litauen pictures
- Litauen forum
- Swiss Internet portal for Lithuania on German
- central Internet portal also on German
- Litaui message in Berlin litauischeskulturinstitut.de
- Litaui Kulturinstitut in hut field , Hessen amb.urm.lt
- daugenis.mch.mii.lt virtual exhibition litauischer culture (English)
- www.uni-graz.at/franz.koelbl/litauenPictures and experiences of a journey after Lithuania
- Web photo Lietuva of pictures of the Kuri Nehrung
- www.chrissie.info/litauen pictures + report on a journey from Lithuania: Kuri Nehrung, Vilnius, landscape
- report on a journey from Lithuania
- data & facts to Lithuania
Bosnia and Herzegowina |
The Netherlands |
San Marino |
Serbia and Montenegro |
United kingdom |
Belgium | Denmark | Germany | Estonia | Finland | France | Greece | Ireland | Italy | Latvia | Lithuania | Luxembourg | Malta | The Netherlands | Austria | Poland | Portugal | Sweden | Slowakei | Slovenia | Spain | Tschechien | Hungary | United kingdom | according to international law recognized Republic of Cyprus (in fact only in the south)
Belgium | Bulgaria | Denmark | Germany | Estonia | France | Greece | Iceland (has no own military) | Italy | Canada | Latvia | Lithuania | Luxembourg | The Netherlands | Norway | Poland | Portugal | Romania | Slowakei | Slovenia | Spain | Tschechien | Turkey | Hungary | United States | United Kingdom of
coordinates: 55° 35 ' N, 24° 7 ' O